Team Inflexible

SL Riders Whats your Front Tire????

I bought a pair of Maxxis advantage 2.4 tires for my Enduro sl this year and they barely fit. As a matter of fact I am suprised I never went over the bars from a rock gettin stuck between the brace and tire. After a season of riding these tires both have sliced sidewals and have put my old Spech tires back on that I really dont like.

I have been shopping for new tires and and would like to know what people are running on their SLs?

I have been looking at Schwalbe Big Betty tires (2.4s also) but am not sure if they will fit. Anybody tried these? I have heard very good things about the bettys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude_72
    I bought a pair of Maxxis advantage 2.4 tires for my Enduro sl this year and they barely fit. As a matter of fact I am suprised I never went over the bars from a rock gettin stuck between the brace and tire. After a season of riding these tires both have sliced sidewals and have put my old Spech tires back on that I really dont like.

I have been shopping for new tires and and would like to know what people are running on their SLs?

I have been looking at Schwalbe Big Betty tires (2.4s also) but am not sure if they will fit. Anybody tried these? I have heard very good things about the bettys.

I run WTB weirwolf LT's (2.55) durring the summer, and have been running 2.24 and 2.4 mutano raptors this winter. the weirwolfs are a loose/hard pack tire, while the mutano raptor hooks up great is softer soil.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Now with More Wood
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 UST in the front - they are actually about the same size as the original Spesh tires (which were given as 2.35), but of course WAAAAY more grip, and they NEVER pinch flat. Only drawback is that they weigh a ton...
    I run a High Roller in the back. 2.35. This set up works great. I was also looking at the Betty's but was talked out of it due to the lack of real mud where I live. Apparently Betty likes it a bit soggy...

BTW both my tires are the UST tires (but I run them with tubes).

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    WTB WeirWolf 2.5 in the front, WTB Prowler XT 2.3 in the rear.

This combo seems great for climbing and cornering, but there is a noticible difference in rolling resistance from the stock Resolutions.

Could have had something to do with my shock packing down due to rebound problems last ride, I only have one ride on these tires and just got a new shock. I'll update you when I get another ride in.

It's incredible weather right now here in the Bay, but I have a paper to write.

Maybe if I got to work and stopped screwing around on MTBR I would have time to ride today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

all your base
    also running same wtb weirwolf 2.5
    love it, crazy light for the size.
    I tried a 2.5 nevangal but it was pretty slow.
    Still using the stock resolution on the rear, no real problems there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ice man, can you make a close up picture of your tire clearance in the front?
    that would be great!

Thanks

Now with More Wood
    Attached as requested. The clearance is still decent with this tire. Actually, on my last muddy ride, the rear packed up before the front, although that was mainly because the mud was mixed with long dry grass and it got stuck in the chainstay/derailleur area. But we hardly ever have mud here, so I'm not a mud-expert by any means.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jason8265
    Anyone run a Larsen tt up front?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i just put on some Schwalbe Hans Dampf's all around 2.35. I thought there would be an issue but there wasn't. noticeably bigger tire but fit no problem. Great tire though, if your looking to upgrade I highly recommend them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SL Riders Whats your Front Tire????-photo1.jpg  

SL Riders Whats your Front Tire????-photo3.jpg  

Dual Squishy...
    Running 2.35 Nobby Nics up front. Perfect!!

Although I want to try that Hans Dampf!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilbasa View Post
    i just put on some Schwalbe Hans Dampf's all around 2.35. I thought there would be an issue but there wasn't. noticeably bigger tire but fit no problem. Great tire though, if your looking to upgrade I highly recommend them!
    Nice, high rollers getting bit bald for winter riding, think I'll try the hans dampf, do they perform as well as the high rollers
    Specialized Enduro 2008 Expert, Fox 2011 36 Van RC2, Fox RP23, Rockshox reverb, Hope tech m4

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jabba69 View Post
    Nice, high rollers getting bit bald for winter riding, think I'll try the hans dampf, do they perform as well as the high rollers
    I've never tried the High Rollers, but I've heard they are a great tire. I've only done a couple rides on the HD's and I'd have to say they are great! Very high grip and roll over everything. The biggest thing I notice is how well they absorb impacts making obstacles seem to disappear. Braking grip is excellent as well as climbing, I have the PaceStar compound on the rear which is harder and I still feel they drag a bit. Rolling resistance while climbing is slower than expected I'm not trying to be the fastest up hill though so I'm not too concerned. For the front tire there is no comparison. Try it, and you will be glad you did. Get TrailStar for best grip.

mtbr member
    Kenda Excavators front and rear. I think the size on the package is 2.35. I love them. I've never had a problem, but if you slice sidewalls a lot they may not be the best choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just ordered a pair of the Hans Dampf Pergormance line tires. I couldn't splurge the $80 a tire and still sleep at night. I am hoping they are somewhere near as good as the real deal but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbikes View Post
    I just ordered a pair of the Hans Dampf Pergormance line tires. I couldn't splurge the $80 a tire and still sleep at night. I am hoping they are somewhere near as good as the real deal but time will tell.
    Cool, when you get them let us know how they are as I am curious to see how they perform for the price!

For a great price on HD's try this link
    ;
    Pneu tubeless - Schwalbe - Hans Dampf 29x2.35 SnakeSkin Pacestar TL ready - Go1Bike.

They sell the HD's for $46 bucks a peice. If you sign up for their newsletter you get an additional $6.50 off. shipping is $35 and took about a week to be delivered to So Cal from France but if you order both tires at once the shipping cost stays the same works out to about $61 per tire. Best deal I could find!

mtbr member
    Maxxis high rollers just wore a pair out , they were good all round tyres. and the ramp up on the blocks makes them great for road sections - have moved on to Panaracer trail rakers for the wet winter , skinny 2.1 s to cut through the gloop and find some traction action and will be going betty or minion in the spring - simply coz Ive heard good things about both and am keen to try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    Running 2.35 Nobby Nics up front. Perfect!!

Although I want to try that Hans Dampf!!
    I was running a Nobby Nic 2.4 up front & on rear... love the rear but the hans dampf is a lot better as a front tyre i have 100 % confidence in any situation...you can really corner hard in all conditions with it. I have the trailstar compound. I have tried a lot of tyres & in my opinion you wont find a better all condition option as a front tyre.
    Life's too short to be soft