Thread: SL questions

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

SL questions

I got a sl expert on Friday and to wales on Sunday to give it a bit of a blast.
    I was left with mixed feelings i don't seem to be able to get it set up to take the small rocks and roots well.
    I was wondering what tire pressures you guys use and if you experience a running in period? or had any setup hints. i watched the vid but still had problems.
    Large hit's was fine its was just the really fast small ones seemed harsh.
    Thanks
    Martin

mtbr member
    **The below impression are from my 2007 Enduro SL Comp that does not yet have the 2008 upgrades**

The e150 fork should be quite supple. Mine is actually too linear and doesn't ramp up as quickly as I'd like. This makes brake dive pretty bad and lofting the front tire takes a bit more effort than it should due to the poor kick back. I did not experience a "break in" period for the fork. It was as supple on day 1 as it is now. Though, as a general rule I'd say all suspension needs some break in time. If your fork is harsh, try the compression and rebound both all the way to the left and then lessen your PSI from there, though be careful not to bottom out. If you still cannot get it to be great with small stuff after doing that and a bit of break in time, I'd say you need to take it in to have it looked at.

I did experience a break in period for the AFR shock. I thought it to be a terrible shock at first. the full soft setting had very little difference to the hard setting and overall, it just felt like a wall mart shock, only reacting to medium and up hits on flatter ground. Nowadays, there is a definite difference between the settings and it reacts decently to medium small hits, but its not great. Small bumps are still felt and chatter bumps it is terrible. Its like the spike valve gets overwhelmed and freezes up or something. Its also terrible at square edge hits. The shock tends to overcompensate a lot, too. Downhill it is great though, at speed like that its able to overcome whatever is holding it back on flat ground singletrack speeds.

I'm coming from a Giant VT 2 that came with a Swinger 4-way air shock. The rear on that bike would suck up anything, even dreaded chatter bumps. It really gave me confidence to dig my ass into my seat and lay down the power over bumps. With the AFR shock, I can't do that nearly as much because I get vibrated and jack hammered to death so I tend to pedal less over bumps and do more coasting.

Again, I have not yet gotten the 2008 upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ERRM
    what tire pressure you running i started at 40psi i ran that in my 06 stumpjumper and i crashed lowered it some (no gauge on the trial)
    felt better but still harsh

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Using a shock pump, carefully check your "spike valve chamber" it is at the base of the damper cartridge. Set it to 50 psi. This will help with small bump suppleness.

Cham:

If you want your suspension to ramp up more, view Kelstr's thread on how to do just that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OK
    so thats under the right leg?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    that's correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    cool i'll try this evening
    cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have set my shock to 50 psi when i measured the pressure it was nearly 80 psi surely this is not correct.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRYTHELATHE
    ERRM
    what tire pressure you running i started at 40psi i ran that in my 06 stumpjumper and i crashed lowered it some (no gauge on the trial)
    felt better but still harsh

I'm running about 35-30 in the rear. probably 40 - 35 in the front. Its been about 1.5 months since I last checked my tire pressure >_> so the range is to accomodate for that. I'm afraid to go lower than 30 with tubes. Anyways, I don't feel that I should have to in order to compensate for the shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Larry,
    all to common. I also recommend doin the slick honey treatment on rear shock. Very simple to do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LARRYTHELATHE
    I have set my shock to 50 psi when i measured the pressure it was nearly 80 psi surely this is not correct.
    you will notice one hell of a difference when setting your spike valve pressure to 50

and on your tire pressure ( i am assuming you are still running your stock s-works eskar tires )----

now this is just what worked for several of us here is az on a very rocky shail nasty hard pack mountain where we ride .---( before we ripped the side wall out from razor sharp shail rock )

whith the wheels taped up and running them tubeless ( which is the best way to go )

we could run 27 to 30 psi in the tires and they worked very well , -----some of the guys liked 30 , ---i would run 27 in the rear and 28 in the ft , ----and running them tubeless at a lower pressure makes one hell of a difference on where you will set your suspension at .

personally i like the 2.2 chunder controll tire from specialized --------i will run this chunder at 23 to 25 in the rear and 25 to 26 in the ft

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't think that the suspension, the fork especially, is as supple to small bumps as some other forks. Its just how it is.

Now, is that a bad thing? Its up to you to decide. Some people see it as a good platform to work off of... efficient. Others want the ultimate in plushness.

Suspension from each manufacturer feels different, thats why there are different manufacturers. This is how Specialized feels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    slick honey
    i don't seem to be able to find anyting about the rear shock. Is there spike valve in the rear should that also be reset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    went for a ride last night after reducing the air chamber pressure and putting more sag on the rear............. its like night and day it know rides like it looks like it should.
    I got to say tho, why on earth was it shipped with such bad quality control on the air chamber pressure. I would of thought some riders would just of assumed it was correct.
    However i am a happy bunny.