mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Skewer question.

I've got an 04 Specialized Enduro with a Fox TALAS RL slapped on the front end. My question is are there supposed to be springs on the skewers that rest against the outside of the fork? I remember on my old bike, where the skewers were also smaller, there were springs.

Please don't have TOO much fun at my expense...

-Rob
    "No, you're going to be promoted to GLG-20."

banned
    Sep 2005
    There should be springs on either end of the skewer outboard of the dropouts. Did your bike not come with them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    See, here's the thing I feel stupid about. I thought there were springs when I got the bike. Didn't ride much after I bought it due to a hip injury. Fast forward to when we moved. I brought to REI for a tune-up. And now, after about 3 miles of riding, my wheel is ready to drop out from the fork. So, I picked up some springs from my LBS and they didn't fit so I figured there must not have been springs...

-Rob

Bike to the Bone...
    Those springs are not necesary. They DO help to remove the wheel from the frame easier, since they push the knobs away from the frame, but if you don't have them there should be no problem.

Anyway, you can go to some LBS and the mech. might have some spare ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Perfect. Thanks!

-Rob

mtbr member

Skraxel!

Quote Originally Posted by Mynamesrob
    I've got an 04 Specialized Enduro with a Fox TALAS RL slapped on the front end. My question is are there supposed to be springs on the skewers that rest against the outside of the fork? I remember on my old bike, where the skewers were also smaller, there were springs.

Please don't have TOO much fun at my expense...

-Rob
    I don't know about the '04 Enduro, but my '03 Enduro came with a Specialized Stout front hub. The skewer for that hub is called a "Skraxel" (it's serves as both skewer and axel if memory serves) and is way oversized compared with a standard skewer. I'm at work right now and can't verify this but I don't think the Skraxel uses centering springs like a standard skewer.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes. You have a Specialized Skewer that is oversized and DOES NOT require (plus they won't fit) springs.

Fact is though, these skewers suck. So make sure you make them real tight (tighter than normal skewers) or they will loosen up on you.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Freeride and Dizzy - That's exactly it! They are oversized and was wondering if there are different sized spings. And Freeride, they do suck. Big time.

Is there a fix for their suckiness?

-Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They do suck. Fortunately, I have used them succesfully just by making them tighter than a normal quick release. It is a pain, but if you make them much tighter than a normal skewer (dont kill yourself, but make it tight), and check it a couple times a ride you should be fine. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Freeride - Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give 'er a whirl!

-Rob