Thread: SJ size?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

SJ size?

First, thanks to members of this forum who have responded to my previous requests for advice. You have been very helpful.

I am planning to by a 2007 SJ. Because of where I live, I may have to order without being able to test ride. I know this is not the best approach, but it is the situation I am in. After I have the bike, I will pay the Specialized LBS here to fit the bike for me. (Prices are 30% higher here, so I do not want to buy the bike from him.)

I am 5'11" tall with a 34" inseam. The Wrench Science fit system tells me I need a 19" center-to-top frame. It also tells me that I need a bike with an overall reach of 681mm. From the Specialized website, the horizontal top tube length of the 19" SJ is 620mm. (I am assuming that what Specialized refers to as "horizontal top tube length" is the same as what Wrench Science refers to as "effective top tube length.") In order to get a 681mm overall reach, I would have to reduce the stem length on the 19" SJ from the stock 105mm to 60mm. On the 18" SJ, I would have to go from 105 to 80, and on the 17", from 90" to 96".

I am not sure what makes sense for me or what the tradeoffs are between a bigger bike with a shorter stem and a smaller bike with a longer stem. (I don't even know if the stem sizes I listed above are available.) I will be using the bike for trail riding in hilly country. I did try a RH 17", and it felt cramped, but it had not been adjusted for me.

Thanks for any advice or explanations you can give me.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Honestly, you will probably be better off with the large due to your inseam alone. However, a women's large might be better still to offset your inseam with the reach. If you tried a medium men's you would have the seat jacked up sky-high, which will effect your reach to the handlebar. The horizontal TT measurement is the same as "effective top tube" length that you see on other bikes. This measurement does not take into account the usage of offset seatposts, so if you need one that will put you further back as well. I believe the 08 SJ should have one, and it appears people are changing out the stock post for a setback/laid back post. When this happens, the "cockpit" length changes (your overall reach measurement) and will effect your position over the bottom bracket, and therefore your balance while riding technical sections.

Try checking out the women's dimensions and see how that works out by the numbers. If you got the large, it probably won't be too hard to make it fit. However, with your leg length I would consider the possibility that there's a laid-back seat post in your future.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Honestly, you will probably be better off with the large due to your inseam alone. However, a women's large might be better still to offset your inseam with the reach. If you tried a medium men's you would have the seat jacked up sky-high, which will effect your reach to the handlebar. The horizontal TT measurement is the same as "effective top tube" length that you see on other bikes. This measurement does not take into account the usage of offset seatposts, so if you need one that will put you further back as well. I believe the 08 SJ should have one, and it appears people are changing out the stock post for a setback/laid back post. When this happens, the "cockpit" length changes (your overall reach measurement) and will effect your position over the bottom bracket, and therefore your balance while riding technical sections.

Try checking out the women's dimensions and see how that works out by the numbers. If you got the large, it probably won't be too hard to make it fit. However, with your leg length I would consider the possibility that there's a laid-back seat post in your future.
    Thanks for your response.

I checked the specs and geometry of the '07 SJ and the '07 Women's SJ. Other than seat and paint color, everything else seems to be the same.

When you refer to the large, I assume you mean the 19", correct?

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm assuming that we're talking SJ Hardtail here as you refer to 17,18 and 19" frames. If its FSR then I'd say a Large (which is I believe 19")

Forget the 17". As for 18 or 19 - the Specialized height table would recommend 18 but you may be better off with the 19. For reference I'm 5'9.5 and have a 18" SJ HT from a few years back - it has a 110mm stem and I have the seat right back - fits great. Of course this is in respect to the type of bike it is ie. long, stretched, fast.

Stem lengths are generally available in 1cm increments which is good enough to tune fit.

mtbr member
    Glad to see you're going for the SJ

I'm just over 5'10, 32 inseam and reach is a little less than you. I went for the 18". However, the reach is a little too stretched out for my liking, plus I'm not used to flat handlebars so I ordered a shorter 60mm stem (18" comes with 105mm stock stem) and I'll probably get some 1.5" Easton riser bars to replace the flat one once I've tried the new stem.

My choice was between the medium and 18" - I chose the 18" as I didn't want the saddle too high. I prefer a more upright riding position. I guess that makes the large the choice for you.

You don't really want to get a much smaller stem than 60mm for XC though, so double check your measurements first. If it's still too stretched out with 60mm then you're pretty stuffed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a similar dilemma with fitting a Stumpjumper FSR. In a large the stem would have to be 75mm vs. 110 for a medium. I didn’t want to compromise my position relative to the bottom bracket so moving the seat forward or back was not an option. However, I have long legs so on a medium the seat would be jacked up to the sky. I went with the medium and got a Thomson seatpost figuring it would be harder to break. With a short stem I thought the front would have a tendency to wash on fast fire roads and climbing would be more difficult with the front tire “way out there”. I never considered a woman's bike for a few reasons, wimpier front brake, narrower handelbars, and ugly colors

mtbr member
    Err.. scrap that. Just did the Wrench Science fit and I measured my inseam wrong. It's actually 33" (yeah, I posted my trouser measurement). It's telling me I need a centre-to-top frame of 22" and an overall reach of 700?

Glad I didn't see this before I bought my bike! Based on this, you're pretty similar to me so I'd say 18".

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This all really highlights there is no substitute to trying the bikes out. Due to body shape differences and personal preference to position it is tricky to be absolutely sure - there is after all, just an inch in it!

I know the order vs LBS price difference is significant but what price the wrong one or that nagging doubt?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought this was for the FSR. Is this for the hardtail?
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    Yeah, I thought this was for the FSR. Is this for the hardtail?
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is for the hardtail. However, since posting my question, I had a dealer offer to build me an FSR from an '06 frame he has, so I may now be thinking FSR.

Members who have read this thread: 0