mtbr member
    Aug 2010

SJ FSR Expert 29er is HERE!

Picked it up yesterday 2 weeks early! Sadly no serious riding until the weekend (rain). Did some playing around none the less - an amazing difference between my old 02 SJ and this one. Love the brain and the command post. Very cool and both work great! Once i got over the "omg i'm riding in huge 4x4" it was really very "normal" feeling. I moved up from a L to an XL.

Killer bike - no regrets, loving it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Digging mine after nearly a month. My hardtail days are now behind me, 'cept for an occasional romp on my SIR9
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How about some more detailed ride reports? Strengths, weaknesses, how it works on climbs, descents, roots, rocks, & drops, gearing, pedaling efficiency, tires, saddle, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu
    How about some more detailed ride reports? Strengths, weaknesses, how it works on climbs, descents, roots, rocks, & drops, gearing, pedaling efficiency, tires, saddle, etc.
    Well, I'm coming off of 5 years of riding hardtails (29ers) so keep that in mind. I'm riding an XL sized bike and most riders would never describe ANY XL 29er bike as "agile" but this bike handles great for my style of midwest single track riding.

It weighs nearly 3 lbs. more than my Niner EMD but it feels more flickable and agile than my EMD. It climbs great, the brain works! I've been able to clean a root infested climb on this bike that I never could clean on my hardtail.

The command post is a neat thing that I likely would have never bought for an existing bike, it's nice to drop it down to the medium setting for twisty single track, lowering my center of gravity really helps the handling of the bike, which has always been an issue for me being 6'2"

I am also liking the Purgatory tires. I am running them tubeless with no issues yet. I'm a big guy at 240 lbs and am running the tires at 30 psi rear & 28 front.

I think the wheelset may be the weak link on this bike (for me) My other bikes have custom built wheels with Stan's Flow rims and the wide rim has really spoiled me. I will likely have my shop build me a new set this winter. This isn't a slam on the stock wheels, I'm just used to Stan's rims with King or Hope hubs

Great trail bike!!!!!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    I am also liking the Purgatory tires. I am running them tubeless with no issues yet. I'm a big guy at 240 lbs and am running the tires at 30 psi rear & 28 front.

I think the wheelset may be the weak link on this bike (for me) My other bikes have custom built wheels with Stan's Flow rims and the wide rim has really spoiled me. I will likely have my shop build me a new set this winter. This isn't a slam on the stock wheels, I'm just used to Stan's rims with King or Hope hubs

Great trail bike!!!!!
    running strips and sealant to convert the stock wheels?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the great review. I have one on order. Hopefully I'll get it soon. I'm not a big guy so mine will be a medium. This will also be my first FS bike -- I've been riding the same old hardtail for the last 17 years, and rigid bikes before that.

My understanding is that you don't need rim strips to go tubeless on these. You just install the special valve stems and put some sealant in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HVskier
    running strips and sealant to convert the stock wheels?
    Yes, the stock wheels have rim strips, just install the valves, add sealant & go!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Took the bike to a local trail today - I'll agree with onepivot's review above. No complaints, great bike. I haven't converted to tubeless yet - my lbs forgot to do the switch. My prior bike was tubeless and i will be going back - more traction and zero flats in 7 years. initial riding impressions are -
    "big" bike compared to a L 02 SJ FSR but easily adapted to it.

29er is great - much easier on the climbs (more momentum down then up) for me

brain is fantastic coming from an 8 yr old bike. no pedal bob, active when needed, etc.

didn't get to use the command post but know it will be better than putting my a** behind the seat on downhills

"big" feeling initially but went away - felt more 'right' in size after an hour. still the bike is >6' (wheelbase) which makes for stable ride

loved the 2 cogs up front (used to 3x9 vs. 2x10). surprised that top speed wasn't greatly impacted. old SJ had gear indicators on the handlebar (which gear you were in) - new one doesn't but for trails not a problem.

climbs/decent - found myself getting further uphill on gravel/rock and much easier downhill

looks - fantastic. black with polished AU and the blue highlights (spoke nipples, headset bolts,etc.) are way cool.

Odd complain - old SJ had 2 water bottle cages which worked for me. new frame and new cage doesn't allow for anything more than a small water bottle - guess a camelback is in my future.

Loving the bike - now another 2 days of rain until i can get to a real trail :-(

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like good times! How about some up-close detail pics? Have only seen pics of overall bike posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Comparative

I have a 2010 Stump FSR Expert, which I love.

How would you (or anyone) compare it on downhills with rock roots and jumps? I love my 26 Stump but find it a bit twitchy when I bomb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Will get pics up this weekend sthmfat

sirridalot - downhills withe a 29er is much better vs. 26. Jumps? Haven't done that yet but suspect it'll be "bigger" and not as tossable. On downhills though, much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have one on order, but was just told today the ETA is November. Bummer.