mtbr member
    Sep 2007

SJ FSR 29er comp EVO- any thoughts

How long has the SJ fsr comp 29er EVO been out? There doesn't seem to be too many reviews around on them. Looking at the geometry I'm adding this to my short list of bikes to research.Also on the list-Norco Sinobi,Banshee Prime,Niner R.I.P.9.Being from the N.E. coast I'm pretty sure the Stumpy may be the only one I have a realistic chance of getting a demo on.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The bike is absolutely nuts. Easily the fastest all-round bike I've ridden in 20 years of mountain biking.

How is that for a review?

mtbr member
    Sadly I'm not a fan of the long travel 29ers, they feel awkward to me. Definitely try to take one out before you buy, they aren't for everyone. That said though you may love how it feels, if you are ever in the Black Hills of South Dakota I can let you borrow one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How is the suspension when climbing out-of-the-saddle? Is there any noticable pedal bob with pro pedal on/pro pedal off?Does the bike give you the feeling of being "in the bike" as they say compared to sitting over or on top of it? I didn't see one,but do they offer the fsr 29er evo aluminum frame only?

JCL,yeah thats a good review

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes very much in the bike rather than on it. Feels like DH bike in that respect. Climbing wise it obviously makes a difference with the pro pedal on but I didn't use it more than once as there is so much traction. I just sat and spun up stuff. Maybe if you have smooth fire road climbs you would use the pro pedal more but I felt less of a need than on my 26" Evo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    As far as 29er's go,would you say its "flickable" and easy to get the front end up?Thanks for you input guys

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As far as 29er's go it's quite easy to manual but nothing like most 26". It's a super stable bike but it becomes nimble at speeds when a 26" Evo gets twitchy and overwhelmed.