mtbr member
    Aug 2005

SJ FSR 04 and XT Hollowtech II crankset

Hi!

I'm replacing the original "Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline" crankset and bottom bracket "Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68 mm shell, 121 mm spindle, 50 mm chainline" with the XT HT II crankset (including new bottom bracket).
    When I install it with the two spacers on the drive side and the one spacer on the left side (normal front derallieur clamp) I get the chainrings very far out, the big one almost in line with the outer derallieur plate. I tried to measure the chainline, and I got it to about 52 mm.

Have anyone experienced this problem?

I think I'll have to get the two spacers on the left side. That would be OK I guess? But why does this happen?

Cheers, Hans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasse
    Hi!

I'm replacing the original "Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline" crankset and bottom bracket "Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68 mm shell, 121 mm spindle, 50 mm chainline" with the XT HT II crankset (including new bottom bracket).
    When I install it with the two spacers on the drive side and the one spacer on the left side (normal front derallieur clamp) I get the chainrings very far out, the big one almost in line with the outer derallieur plate. I tried to measure the chainline, and I got it to about 52 mm.

I think I'll have to get the two spacers on the left side. That would be OK I guess? But why does this happen?

Cheers, Hans
    I had the same problem on my 04 Enduro comp. I put 2 spacers on the left side to get the chainline right,but the crankarms weren't centered on the frame. I really didn't notice it on the trail, but in my head it was wrong. When I put it back the way the directions say to assemble it (2 spacers on the right) I had to re-adjust thr front derailer way out but it works fine.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasse
    Hi!

Cheers, Hans
    Yep, I've experienced the same thing. I measured very close to 50mm with the XT M760s on, so I've concluded the Spec specs were incorrect. For the amount it changed, I can see the original cranks/BB having a 47.5 mm chainline (not sure if I actually measured it or just concluded this?). Anyway, if someone out there with the stock cranks on could measure their chainline, it might help clear some of this up.

Dave