mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well SJ FSR '04 Shock Link failure

Hi!

Has this happened to anyone?

Shock link.jpg

Was it covered by warranty? Or what happened?

It's a '04 SJ FSR Expert Disc. I replaced bearings and bushings in October 2005. I used a torque wrench to the specified values.

The lower eye bolt sheared right off and other bolts (and the bearings) were damaged. I actually did not notice what had happened until I washed the bike after riding.

I'm worried that threads got damaged in the frame and/or the chainstay.

Cheers, Hans

mtbr member
    This is the first time I've read of something like this happening. Hopefully SJ will warranty your issue.

mountain biker
    I had that happen to me on my 03 Enduro. I used to let the bushings develop more play than they should, which would lead to the bolt that goes through the linkage and the bottom shock eye breaking (I think I must have broken that bolt at least twice a year over 4 seasons). That would lead to the link being weakened, which led to what you see there.

In summary: make sure your shock bushings are tight, and replace them often (search this forum, there's a thread on how to do that here somewhere..) That should save your bolts, and your links.

Specialized did replace my link, but I got a used one that they must have pulled off another warrantied frame. I wasn't too rimpressed.

Good luck with that...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    woah, scarey. Both my friend and I have bent those linkage bolts (warrantied by spec w/o problems though). I'll have to keep a close eye on it though..

mtbr member
    That seems like such an odd place for a failure. The only thing I can think of is when I redid all my bearings and put the rear triangle back together the seat stays were cocked a little to the left. I had to pull the seat stays to the center to get the link in. I mentioned this on the board and got responces that this is not uncommon. I wonder if there is some torsional load in the link somewhere?

Ive had mine since mid 04 w/ moderate riding and have had no issues

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks