mtbr member
    Sep 2004

SJ Expert 29 Carbon set for the race season

I finished the build on my SJ expert the other day. It will be my xc race/marathon bike so the parts are all light, but nothing is a compromise on strength. It weights 23.75 lbs as pictured.

Build list:
    FRAME- 21" 2010 SJ expert carbon
    FORK- Fox F29RL, internals swapped to a RLC fit damper and custom tuned by S.EX
    HEADSET- Stock Cane Creek
    STEM- Thomson X4 120x0
    HANDLEBARS- Specialized XC flat, cut to 620mm
    GRIPS- ESI chunky, red
    BRAKES- Formula R1, 160mm F+R
    FRONT DERAILLEUR- Shimano SLX
    REAR DERAILLEUR- Sram X-0, long cage, redwin
    SHIFTERS- Sram X-0 gripshifters
    CASSETTE- Shimano XT, 11-34
    CHAIN- SRAM PC-971
    CRANKSET- S-Works MTB, 175mm 22-32-44
    PEDALS- Time Atac xs
    WHEELSET- DT 240s laced 3x to Stans Arch rims, 32h, brass prolock nipples
    TIRES- Geax Saguaro 29x2.2, set up tubeless
    SADDLE- Selle Italia Flite xc gel flo
    SEATPOST- Thomson Elite setback, 30.9 400mm
    EXTRAS- Incredibell, Trektime clock, Specialized plastic bottle cages

The only thing that may change over time is tires, maybe something a bit lighter for racing. The trail manners are awesome, it climbs and descends great. Im coming from an older alloy version of the bike and the combination of the OSBB and carbon frame make this bike feel much stiffer and much faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SJ Expert 29 Carbon set for the race season-18450_733654194041_9024019_43532925_6663799_n.jpg  

The Other Dude
    nice, what did the damper upgrade run you? Is it just RLC or is it the FIT, or are they one in the same? I called fox and they said the FIT upgrade was $240 retail. May be worth looking into.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

The Other Dude
    Well i just got off the phone with fox and got a FIT RLC cartridge ordered for the F29RL on my expert 29er. They said the fork is just a 100mm F29 with a limit spacer in it, so they sent the 100mm FIT RLC cartridge over to me, if anyone is wondering, they are $240.00 retail.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had a rlc fork on another bike, and as this is the 'A' bike I had the dampers swapped, only had to pay labor for the swap and tuning. Mine was from a 80mm fork, but thats also just a 100 with a travel spacer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So your F29RL 90mm fork will now become an F29RL FIT 100mm fork? Is this correct?

The Other Dude
    My 90mm F29RL is now going to be a F29RLC FIT 90mm fork. I am not changing the travel of the fork. I love the geo the way it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see, the new fit cart. doesn't change the travel, that would simply be removing the spacer. Not sure how you are getting the C part of the RLC though. Does the FIT cart include the compression adjustment knob?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, the fit cartridge includes the r(rebound), l(lockout) and c(compression) all of the damping occurs in this side of the fork. The right side of the fork is the travel and air spring. It controls the air pressure(duh) and the travel via a spacer. So by adding a different damper the travel will stay the same because the air side is unmolested.

The Other Dude
    Yeah it should be a nice setup. The fox rep said its a nice improvement from the stock setup, and its a sealed cartridge. Not sure if there is any weight difference or not. Trying to decide if i should get the remote lock out or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds good, is Fox doing the work, lbs,diy? I have an 09 F29 RLC 100mm and the fit cart. looks interesting.

The Other Dude
    For me its a DIY. I have rebuilt a few before, and from what i understand, its going to be a drop in replacement for the most part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    yeah, as far as I understand you drop it in and add some oil. The compression is nice to have to dial out brake dive.

The Other Dude
    just found out you can only get the lockout on fox forks that are spec'ed with the lockout, and the lockouts/cartridges are not available for individual sale. The fox guy said they were working with shimano on them, and was not sure why they are not available for purchase/replacement yet.

The Other Dude
    Just got mine FIT cartridge installed this evening. The install went real smooth and relatively quick. Too bad we just started to get even more snow, i want to take this thing out and give it a try! It added right around 30gs to the bike, but i think its well worth the performance upgrade!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Youre gonna love it, big improvement from stock. If it ever stopped snowing here Id get to ride mine too!