Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004

SJ 29er - DT Swiss 520SL Wheels?

Looking for a middle weight trail bike rim to build up and was hoping for some feedback on DT Swiss 520SL rims. Looks like a good buy but wanted to see how they are holding up. Similar weight to a Flow rim, tubeless ready, and adds eyelets - for a lot less than Flows.

Holding up well? Any problems with the tubeless conversion?

Posted in the 29er forum, but figured I'd ask here since the are stock on the SJ FSR 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got 5 weeks & probably 400 miles on mine. The bike is a 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er, XL size.

The rear wheel has needed a little attention (tighten spokes) but I figure some of that is typical break in. I'm a 240 lb. Clyde and I don't think these rims will last too long under a rider my size. I did the tubeless conversion with no problems using the stock Purgatory tires.

I'm a little surprised that these rims are close in weight to Flows, I figured Flows would be heavier. FWIW, I have a wheelset built with Flows on my single speed and those rims are bomb proof!

Bottom line, I guess it all depends on how you ride. I think the Flows would be the way to go considering their nice, wide profile, and if they are similar in weight then I'd go with the Flow(s)
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Yeah - weight wise the 520s are around 520g and the Flows are listed as 525g. I have a set of Arch wheels and really like them (keeping them for endurance race duty), but looking to build something a little more stout for day to day trail rides.

DT rims have been good for me on 26" bikes so just thought I'd check feedback on all those SJs out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've also got a 2011 Stumpy FSR with those wheels. I weigh 200 lbs and
    my bike is a large. I've had the bike a little over 4 weeks now and so far
    my wheels are holding up well. I've got around 300 miles on them with
    some 2 foot drops and a few small jumps and haven't had any issues
    so far. I don't feel that they are a weak link on the bike as I ride quite
    aggressive and the wheels were one of my bigger worries on going to
    a 29er. But they seem to be holding up great and are as true as the
    day I picked the bike up.

FKA Malibu412
    These are an OEM wheel for the SJ so you must be looking at a set that was pulled off a bike for an upgrade? Is the rear hub the DT Swiss 330 that comes with the Expert or the Specialized hub for the Comp? Price?

I'm 6'7", 220, have a set on my 2010 XXL Expert and they have close to 700 miles with moderate to almost extreme XC conditions encountered -- rock gardens, grabbing a bit of small air here and there, 2 foot drops, fast bermed turns. They have held up pretty nicely with a couple of tensionings and truings. My DT freehub failed at around 600 miles but DT replaced it with a steel one with no questions asked or cost to me.

Probably a decent but not great set of wheels if the price is right.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. Was actually just picking up rims to build up. Looks like they are available retail now.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/d...ource=googleps

Handmade in Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    These are an OEM wheel for the SJ so you must be looking at a set that was pulled off a bike for an upgrade? Is the rear hub the DT Swiss 330 that comes with the Expert or the Specialized hub for the Comp? Price?
    The OEM wheels on the Stumpjumpers with this DT520 rims are pretty heavy!

front wheel 956gr
    rear wheel 1162gr

I would replace the wheels for NoTubes Crests and save about 600g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    I've got 5 weeks & probably 400 miles on mine. The bike is a 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er, XL size.
    I did the tubeless conversion with no problems using the stock Purgatory tires.

:
    Is there a specific DT swiss tubeless conversion kit for these rims? What did you use for the conversion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Is there a specific DT swiss tubeless conversion kit for these rims? What did you use for the conversion?
    My 2011 Stumpy Comp 29er came with the necessary parts to do the tubeless conversion. There was a package with the owner's manual that contained the correct valve stems, and the rim strips are already installed. I'm in the process of swapping it over (I've been riding it with tubes since buying the bike in October), and will report back on how well it works out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHarvey
    My 2011 Stumpy Comp 29er came with the necessary parts to do the tubeless conversion. There was a package with the owner's manual that contained the correct valve stems, and the rim strips are already installed. I'm in the process of swapping it over (I've been riding it with tubes since buying the bike in October), and will report back on how well it works out.

Let us know how the conversion goes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHarvey
    I rec'd the same with my 2011 SJ SS, but have not converted yet s I am still deciding on which tires to try next.
    I did read that Bonty stems may be a better choice

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have these wheels on a SJ Expert 29, factory wheels. I put about 300 miles on mine and had them torn up pretty bad, had to true both wheels for wobble and hop. I have about 800 miles on them now and they aren't much worse than after truing. I'd say they are OK, not great but with a good build instead of a machine build they would probably be just fine. I ride aggressive XC, 200-210# riding weight. The hub sucks, coming off a King hub I hate the low engagement and it isn't compatible with the 36pt upgrade. Not bad for stock wheels but I wouldn't go looking for them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have been pretty happy with the 520SL's solid rim, no real work on them in the 8 months I have owned them. The real weak point on the Stumpjumper FSR is the triad shock (a real piece of sh**). The first real up grade I am going to look at will be wheels when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I guess maybe it's becasue I've never ridden a pushed rp23 or a new monarch, but the triad gives a good ride for me. I was about to go the push route when I had to replace the seals at 30 miles and then got a new shock from spesh at around 150 when it completely blew out. Since the replacement the new one has had no issues...

The 520 SL's are good wheels, they were on my camber for about 200 miles, I upgraded to crests for weightloss.

They are a good all around wheel but they are a little heavy. I have mine for sale in the classifieds. PM me if your interested, they have like new captain s works front and rear.

I lost over 3 pounds with the rim/tire/cassette/rotor/titanium blts/skewers swap...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My triad blew out with less than 100 miles on it. No hard riding. Fox/the LBS told me it would take almost the whole bike season to get the shock repaired. I didn't want to wait that long so the LBS told me that specialized was offering an RP23 upgrade because of these blown out shocks.

Now my SJ with the RP23 is a dream to ride. Real smooth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a stumpy 29er and went tubeless with the stock setup from day one. Everything worked flawlessly (several months) until one of the stems started to leak around the seal. I switched them out for the bontrager stems and that setup is great! The bontrager stems were only a couple bucks and are far superior to the ones that came with the bike.
    The 520 SL's have been a good wheel for me. I am 6'3" 240 plus gear and am really hard on wheels, and they hold up well. I true them up regularly, but other than one broken spoke they have been up to snuff with what I expected. No complaints from me...

mtbr member
    Looking for some advice on the DT Swiss 520SL Wheelset. I tried to set it up with my used Specialized Captain Armadillo Elite 2Bliss Tubeless Tire but it keeps on burping Stans sealant every time. I didn't have any problem with my previous DT Swiss 470 Wheels. It's only the rear tire that's burping. It has one layer of gorilla tape on the rim. What can I do to fix it? What would be a great tire to run tubeless with this wheelset if I would replace the tire? Thanks!

FKA Malibu412
    Is your Captain new or older and what pressure are you trying to run it at?

mtbr member
    The Captain is like 6 months old but enough tread left. It never burbed on my old DT Swiss 470 wheel but it may indeed have to do with the tire yes, but how do I know? It has sealant all over the tire from multiple burbs when I ride but it doesn't loose a lot of air, I'm able to ride with it.
    I tried it with all different kinds of air pressure, it burbed less with low pressure though. I cleaned the Captain very well before mounting it again, I removed all the old sealant and dirt etc. Pumped it up with a compressor and put enough air in it until I heard the bead pop. I've set up tires tubeless multiple times and never had this issue so wondering how to fix this. I can buy a new tire but would this fix the issue for sure? Should I try an extra layer of gorilla tape? I have an old Nevegal tire, maybe try it with this tire and see if it won't burb? The DT Swiss 520 Wheelset is brand new and the front wheel with a Ground Control tire on it won't burb. Advice is appreciated!

FKA Malibu412
    Try a new tubeless specific or UST tire or at least try the Nev and 2 layers of tape. You are attempting to set it up ghetto-style without the DT Swiss rim strips which have a small ridge at the edge near the rim bead that help to snap the tire in even more. I have a set of 520s set up ghetto but I used a new 2-Bliss Captain Control and run my pressure > 27lbs. I've had no issues since setting them up 2 months ago. I also used the Stan's tape instead of the Gorilla tape although I've heard the Gorilla should work.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I checked my captain tire a little closer and it seems a kinda wide and loose on the wheel, it probably expanded a little bit over time, that should be the reason for the burping. I'm gonna try a different tire, that should do it.