mtbr member
    Apr 2006

SJ 2004 Anniversary frame, HELP!!

Hi,

I am looking for a full sus. bike which will be light enough to pedal it uphill (I am no good on this) and strong enough to take my 190lbs down. I found a used SJ Anniversary frame but I have some concerns and I need help.

I always loved the looks of the particular frame and I have heard a lot about Specialized's horst link design and fully active sus.
    I am also influenced from the VPP & Maestro marketing campaigns ( I own a Nomad but too heavy for uphill - no mater what they say) . As I mentioned I am no good in climbimg and I want an effective bike. Would the SJ be good for me or should I look to another design? I have also found a Giant Trance - cheaper & newer model but a bit heavier.

I also read that some of you are changing the rear link to improve travel. But why someone changes the '04 100mm link to use an '05 100mm link?

Can I fit another fox shock i.e. RP3 where the Triad is?

You soonest reply will be highly appreciated as the auction ending soon.

many thanks
    Bikegreece

mtbr member
    My impression, as both an owner and from others comments, is that the 2004 suffered from a too-low bottom bracket and too steep head angle, compromising the quality of teh ride. These details were corrected with newer versions of the sj. Sorry i can't answer your more detailed questions.

Ant

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    My impression, as both an owner and from others comments, is that the 2004 suffered from a too-low bottom bracket and too steep head angle, compromising the quality of teh ride. These details were corrected with newer versions of the sj. Sorry i can't answer your more detailed questions.

Ant

Well No. It did not suffer from these characteristics. It's what made that yr frame climb well, and handle tight twisty single track with ease.

It was just a bit too steep in the head and a bit short in the BB compared to where the majority of riders were going nowadays. I.E. Taller BB and slacker HA's for the more "all mountain" geometry.

Big S did not correct the geometry, it adjusted it to meet market demands. The 04 Stumpy is a great frame, it' geometry is closer to what one who races would like, not your typical all around rider nowadays. So if you are not going to race, there are better choices for you.

As far as shocks, you could fit a Vanilla R. The best choice would be to have the Triad or RP3 Pushed. This will transform the ride.

Good Luck
    Astigmatic Visionary

Team Blindspot
    Ok, so I just checked geometry for the 06 Stumpy's 120's. I assumed from Antonio's comments that S changed the geometry, they really have not.

The Head Angle is 71Deg. same as the 04. The BB is 13.4 inches, my 04 was 12.7. The increased height comes from the increased rear travel and taller fork. Otherwise, the two frames are very similar.

Good Luck.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had the 2004 SJ Anniversary Edition. It is a great bike. The frame is very light and it was fast and climbed great. That said, the bottom bracket was low and as a result, I often found myself hitting the pedals on rocks and logs, etc. If you ride buff, clean singletrack, it's awesome. If you like log overs and rock gardens, you might find the bottom bracket a bit frustrating.

mtbr member
    I have an 04 SJ and its sweet. In terms of th low BB I have owned 01 enduro, 02 enduro, 04 Sj and 05 enduro, ridding socal trails and only notice it on pedalling transitions for all 4 bikes. Bottom line if your looking for a frame thats a fast climber and a light weight "go-big" bike, its pretty sweet. I dunno about the new 120 SJs or VPP bikes, but for those your looking a quite a bit more $$$.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Many thanks to all of you for commenting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Well No. It did not suffer from these characteristics. It's what made that yr frame climb well, and handle tight twisty single track with ease.
    My experience and yours were obviously different. I replaced the SJ with a slacker angled frame with a higher bb and - voila! The constant pedal strikes went away, navigating through tight corners was more intuitive, and my climbing improved dramatically.

I started my post with "My impression", so why get so defensive as to quote me? You might disagree with my choice of words, but that does not make my opinion wrong, or yours right.

Ant