Knollician

SJ 120 travel kit?

I have an 05 Sworks Stumpjumper 120. Just curious if anyone offers a travel kit to increase to 5.75 or 6"

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member

https://www.betd.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I have an 05 Sworks Stumpjumper 120. Just curious if anyone offers a travel kit to increase to 5.75 or 6"

Thanks for your help.
    Hey iam interested in the same thing, from what ive heard if enough people ask forit BETD will make it. [SIZE=4]so email em today stumpy owners[/SIZE] info@betd.co.uk
    Last edited by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk; 10-17-2005 at 03:45 AM. Reason: cant spell

mtbr member

I'll drop BETD an email as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    Hey iam interested in the same thing, from what ive heard if enough people ask forit BETD will make it. [SIZE=4]so email em today stumpy owners[/SIZE] info@betd.co.uk
    Squeaky wheels get greased, right?
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Knollician
    here is the resonse from BETD

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your mail, its good to hear from you.

Yes we are making a linkage that will give you two settings, a 125mm and a 155mm of travel. It will be the same linkage that will work on the 100mm bikes and give them 130mm. We are finalising our design after testing a couple of prototypes and we should hopefully have these done and on the market in about three weeks. The linkage has been really hard to make and we have had to refine the design a couple of times but we are really stoked on where we are at now. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    here is the resonse from BETD

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your mail, its good to hear from you.

Yes we are making a linkage that will give you two settings, a 125mm and a 155mm of travel. It will be the same linkage that will work on the 100mm bikes and give them 130mm. We are finalising our design after testing a couple of prototypes and we should hopefully have these done and on the market in about three weeks. The linkage has been really hard to make and we have had to refine the design a couple of times but we are really stoked on where we are at now. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Dan

[SIZE=6]WHHHHHHHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=6]WHHHHHHHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]
    Hmmm will this mod keep the same rear shock ....cause new forks and new shock = loads'a wonga, may as well buy new bike.
    Last edited by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk; 10-18-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Knollician
    Hmmm will this mod keep the same rear shock ....cause no forks and new shock = loads'a wonga, may as well buy new bike.
    Waiting for a response fron Dan on that question. As soona s he gets back to me I'll let you know.

I would suspect a new rear shock would be in order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I have inquired at BETD before this and....

yes it will use the same rear shock as the stock set up. For the most part that is what BETD does with their modified links. They alter the compression ratio of the suspension to produce more travel from a given shock stoke. So you don't have to purchase a different or new shock to increase the travel. The only down side is that an increase in compression ratio usually requires and increase in shock pressure with an air shock or a stiffer spring with a coil shock. Just how much of an increase depends on the increase in compression ratio over the stock set up. The only time this becomes a significant consideration though is in the case of heavier riders that are near the max capacity (say within 30 to 40 psi) of thier shocks, or at or near the max spring rate that is offered for their particular coil shock. Anyway the bottom line is, the travels that BETD claims for the new links are with the stock or standard shock that came with the bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What would be the benefit of adding 20 mm to the rear only? And what kind of $$ are we talking?
    It's a Sledgehammer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    What would be the benefit of adding 20 mm to the rear only? And what kind of $$ are we talking?
    well i guess then you need to add 20mm to the front giveing you a light weght 6" inch travel multi purpose trail bike...yum yum..personally i would use 5.5 in the back and 6 in the front and hope the head angle slackend a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Actually you are adding 30mm in both cases...

Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    not 20mm. The link for the 04-05 FSR 100 gives 105 and 130mm, the link for the 120 gives 125 and 155mm. This is accomplished through 2 mounting points on the link. The last time I looked the exchange rate between British pounds and US dollars made for about a $177.00 investment. Kind of spendy, but the links are precission machined to very exact tolerances and beautifully finished. The level of quality workmanship that is evident with BETD's products comes with a high price tag.

Good Dirt

otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    not 20mm. The link for the 04-05 FSR 100 gives 105 and 130mm, the link for the 120 gives 125 and 155mm.
    Isn't 155mm a bit much? How will that work with a 130mm fork on the SJ120? And 125mm is only 5mm more than stock, so is that worth it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So it would seem that a new longer travel fork would be optimal to match the increased 6.2 inch travel with the new link. Cool, but spendy
    A slackened head angle would be sweet though.
    It's a Sledgehammer...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The point of the link is the 155mm cabability...

Quote Originally Posted by SabbathU71
    Isn't 155mm a bit much? How will that work with a 130mm fork on the SJ120? And 125mm is only 5mm more than stock, so is that worth it?
    and the ability to switch, not the 125mm in and of itself. To some people, yes the link will be or is worth it. Now the ideal situation would be to get a fork that has adjustable travel in the 120 to 160mm range to mate up with the link. That way you can use it any way you like and the fork would match up with the rear travel. For me neither would be worth it, number one I have no need for a 130mm travel bike, and two, I don't have a SJ 120 so the 125 to 155 link is useless to me. Would it be worth it? Only you can answer that totally arbitrary and personal question. How can anyone tell you if the additional travel is worth it to you? tiSSer and muzango101 think it is worth it judging from their posts! I personally don't think it's worth it because I don't want or need 130mm of travel from my bike. Now what do you think?

Good Dirt

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    and the ability to switch, not the 125mm in and of itself. To some people, yes the link will be or is worth it. Now the ideal situation would be to get a fork that has adjustable travel in the 120 to 160mm range to mate up with the link. That way you can use it any way you like and the fork would match up with the rear travel. For me neither would be worth it, number one I have no need for a 130mm travel bike, and two, I don't have a SJ 120 so the 125 to 155 link is useless to me. Would it be worth it? Only you can answer that totally arbitrary and personal question. How can anyone tell you if the additional travel is worth it to you? tiSSer and muzango101 think it is worth it judging from their posts! I personally don't think it's worth it because I don't want or need 130mm of travel from my bike. Now what do you think?

Good Dirt
    I do bottom my stumpy quite easily and would like a plusher back end, but my last bike was a free ride 6 incher so i guess im missing the travel and slacker angles ....BUT i am loveing the light weight fast agile machine the stumpy is ....hmmm once again iam caught wanting my cake and eat it with a bike that will be all thing's.

looking out the window its stoped raining ,,think ill just whip around the trail and get dirty.
    Last edited by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk; 10-19-2005 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member

Stop press news from BETD just in.

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your mail.

We have had so much interest in this linkage. We should hopefully have some of these up and running in about 2-3 weeks on sale. What i'll do is send you a mail when we have them ready. The linkage will give you two settings, a 125mm and a 155mm of travel. It will be the same linkage that will work on the 100mm bikes and give them 130mm. We are finalising our design after testing a couple of prototypes and we should hopefully have these done and on the market in about three weeks. The linkage has been really hard to make and we have had to refine the design a couple of times but we are really stoked on where we are at now.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Dan

mtbr member

latest from BETD

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your mail.

We have had so much interest in this linkage. We should hopefully have some of these up and running in about 2-3 weeks on sale. What i'll do is send you a mail when we have them ready. The linkage will give you two settings, a 125mm and a 155mm of travel. It will be the same linkage that will work on the 100mm bikes and give them 130mm. We are finalising our design after testing a couple of prototypes and we should hopefully have these done and on the market in about three weeks. The linkage has been really hard to make and we have had to refine the design a couple of times but we are really stoked on where we are at now.

Dan

Ok iasked if it would be with the same shock Dan from Betd said

Hi Alec,

Yeah it will be with the same shock, it will require a little bit more air pressure. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Dan

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi Alec,

Thanks for your mail.

Dan

So this would give 155mm of travel from a shock with 44.45 mm of shaft travel? That is close to a 3.5:1 ratio. Wow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    So this would give 155mm of travel from a shock with 44.45 mm of shaft travel? That is close to a 3.5:1 ratio. Wow.
    OK (suspiciously) Is that bad i no nothing off these things by the way.