Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Sizing-Question and possibility for front derailleur on sx trail 06?

Hi!

As said in the title, I' m not sure which size to get for the 06 sx trail.
    I' m 182 cm tall, which is about 6" and my legs are 88 cm long, which is pretty average for my size.

In my oppinion the medium and large framesize would fit, the only problem is that I can't testride any of those sizes over here in europe (austria).
    So it's a hard decision to take, because for me it's a lot of money and I don't want to have the feeling, that it isn't the correct size.
    Specialized is, like most things , a lot more expensive in Europe than in the US, but that's no secret.

My second question is, if there' s an option to put a front derailleur onto the frame, because I have to go uphill sometimes.
    Just from the frame-pictures on the specialized site, I would say yes, but I' m not 100% sure.

Maybe someone can help me,
    thanks a lot,
    Qranc

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    I'm pretty much the same measurements as you (184cm tall / 89cm inseam) and I chose a medium -05 SX Trail. I could have gone for the large but when I'm just between sizes I always choose the smaller frame because that's what I like. Frame geometry is not exactly the same -05 and -06 according to Spec website though so check carefully before you buy.
    Don't know about the front derailleur on the -06 but I run one on my -05. It would be pretty stupid of Spec to remove the cable stop for -06...
    Super bike and likely even better with the Fox DHX for -06
    Yeah baby!

a tight kick sound

Me too!

I am almost your exact size, 6' tall, average leg and arm size.
    I am getting the medium. Here is why. I ride lots of stuff where I like to be able to whip
    the bike around under me a lot (including flying ). Also compete in some DH races (
    not pro obviously ). And lastly, If I am going to go for a long climb, I can put a longer seat post in if it is really necessary (also can change the HA with a few simple adjustments). I have ridden other bikes with longer than 18" seat tubes and it drives me crazy to try and jump these things. Just feels too weird to me!

If you are going to be doing a ton of climbing, the s-works enduro is a pretty sweet rig that has some serious versitility! There are a few folks on this board and over at ride monkey that have built up the s-works enduro REALY NICE!!! They are beating the sheeet out of them too!

Anyway, good luck. I know how you feel about not being able to ride it before you buy it!
    It is a big chunk of change to plop down site-unseen!

Tell us what kind of riding you are going to be doing primarily on this bike and maybe we can change the spec to fit your needs a little! Check out this link(Get a new ride!), never mind the spam at the top from me! Down towards the bottom are some pics of what is going into my build!

AS for the front derailer, I sure hope you can run one! I will be running and E13 SRS
    most of the time but would like to be able to run a DRS if I want to! (MAybe for those long climb days )

Hope that helps!

Boone

mtbr member
    thanks you for your answers.
    @ boone
    It helps to know that you will ride the medium at my size.
    If it was a 05, I would take the medium for sure.
    So first I thought to take the 06 sx trail in L, because it just has a 10 mm longer toptube in comparison to the 05 in medium and I don't want to put a stem on it longer than 50 mm, but on the Medium I maybe would have to if it really is too small.
    another problem is the huge wheelbase of 1182mm on the large, at least in my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 06 sx trail in medium has a wheelbase of 1155mm which is almost equal to the 1156mm of the 05 Large enduro. So while standing,
    the medium 06 sx trail should feel like a 05 enduro in Large concernig top tube lenght. If my thoughts are correct I will for sure take the Medium.

I will build it up with my Marzocchi Z1 fr I, which should make a plus of 1° in the angles.
    I want to ride singletrails, about 15days bikepark a year, and do some dirtjumping. just a bit uphill, but not too fast.
    the rest will stay like the stock setup+ a front derailleur.

it's such a hard decision

a tight kick sound

Gotcha!

Do you have photoshop on your computer?
    I took an overlay of the 06 sx trail and the 06 enduro.
    You can change the opacity of the top layer by moving the opacity slider from 0-100
    in the layers box.
    Basically what you get is a pic of the enduro, slide down to 50% and you see the background of the sx coming up. Kinda like looking at the two right on top of each other
    as if they were 2d bikes Move the slider all the way and you get just the sx!
    Cool feature to actually see the differences between the two. (i think the bikes pictured are the same size??? Makes all this pretty much meaningless if they are not )
    Anyway, you can get fancy and draw lines through one image and slide the opacity filter half way and see how your measurement lines up. Eg: draw a line down the middle of the top tube through the front axle on the enduro layer. Slide the filter to 50% and see how far away from the middle of the head tube the line has moved on the sx! Cool stuff.

AS for measurements on length. The L is much longer than the medium. The medium is 45.47inches and the large is 46.54 inches. That makes for a pretty long rig! The thing that really sold me on the medium is the seat tube length! I have ridden too many bikes with a large seat tube (19inches) and it is just squirrely for me in the air! The TT length of almost 23 works well for me. I know it seems a little crampt, but I would rather deal with that that a big ass seat tube! Just way too weird for me! Maybe what we can do is get the LBS to order the medium, give it a ride and test that out. If you don't like the size I am sure you will know right away. Then make them send it back and getcha a large!!!! If it is not dirty or used then this should be no problem!!!

Anyway, good luck with your choice!

Boone

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Specialized is, like most things , a lot more expensive in Europe than in the US, but that's no secret.

how much?
    because i think in italy is even more expensive than in Austria

mtbr member
    @drago

the sx trail I has a listed price of € 2910 in austria, which is about 3490$.
    In the US the price is listed with 3000$, which makes a difference of 490$!!!!
    For 490$ you could almost get a ticket to the US and buy one there.
    I think you should be able to get the same price in Italy, as you are in the EU, otherwise just order it in germany.

But if you kindly ask for a better price at your lbs you' ll get one for sure, at least I do

@ boone

I already tried to compare the frames with photoshop, and saw some little differences, but as I don't know which sizes I'm actually comparing it's useless I think.

I decided to do exactly what you suggested. I will order a Medium at my lbs and will ask them if they would be so kind to send it back, if it doesn't fit. but I think it will be OK.
    Usually I ride a 18' bike, but I never put the seatpost compleatly inside, there are always about 50 mm outside, even on hard downhills. so the L enduro would also fit I think.

I' ll order it tomorrow or on friday, only if my lbs gives me the option to exchange it, if it doesn't fit. If they don't, I will order it in an internetshop , where I have the right to send it back in a period of two weeks.
    I'll let you know as sonn as I know more myself.

mtbr member
    Ordered mine an hour ago. Still pretty nervous
    Took the sx trail I in medium. I think and hope it will fit, I'm really excited what the green will look like.

It's almost sold out for europe already, there are just a few left.
    You can defenitely run a front derailleur, as I know now.

Also tried a big hit II in medium. awesome ride!!!

a tight kick sound

Me Toooooo!!!

Yeehaw! I did as well
    I put down for the frame deposit this morning. I am getting the med sx trail II. I really like the grey/black combo. Should be cool to check out the green though.

Are you going with the stock build or will you build it yourself?

Rock on with the sx trails baby!! Post pics as soon as you can!

Booner

mtbr member
    I should get it next week, between wednesday and friday, but I wouldn't wonder if it's
    going to last a week more. I don't hope so. If it's too small I still have the option not to take it, but then I'll have to wait until march, because only then the next sx trails hit Europe.

Most things will stay stock. I will do some changes by myself, like changing the fork to a marzocchi z1 fr I (150mm+eta), which is already in use since June, lighter rims (singletracks) and hubs (QR20+ and shimano xt) I'll put off the chainguide, and will mount a front derailleur.
    That's it for beginning. As you see I want to go a bit to the all mountain direction.
    To be honest, I have to, because there is no possibility to shuttle near my home. Hence I have some nice trails over here. In summer I'll go to some Bikparks and ride singletrails in the Alps with my gf. Looking so much forward to it. In the near future I'll help to build up a little dirt-park, so the sx will also get some air.
    Where in the US do you live? can you ride in winter. I mean without falling off your bike like an ice-cube?

For sure I'll take pictures asap. Probably about 1000
    would be nice to see some pix of yours too.
    Hope I can take some action-pix, because it's starting to get pretty cold in Austria.

Fred

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Let us see.

I you have as much fun as me on the s-works you'll have a constant smile.

a tight kick sound

Nice

Sweet,
    yeah I was thinking of making the bike a little less beefy but, I talked with the lbs and they said the stock sx trail II weighs around 37lbs! That is quite a bit lighter than the 05 version.
    I would like it just a bit lighter so I am building it myself. Prolly be aroung 35.5 lbs is my goal!

I live in the US. Oregon to be exact and yeah riding all year! I live in a valley, kinda like a temperate rain forest in the winter. Lows of about 45 degrees (I don't know what that is in C)! Rains a ton but, if the trails are well cared for its all good. Shuttling is a no go on the big mountains in the winter though We can shuttle up some of the smaller mountains, though usually you start in the snow. This only lasts for a couple of miles, not too bad.
    Great riding to be had all over the place. I think most folks are realizing that we can build fun shore type stuff down here too. It's great to be able to ride this kind of stuff all year!

My frame should be here in 2 weeks! I will take some pics when it comes in.

On the trade in, my LBS said they could work something out with me if the medium did not fit....yeah baby! These guys have been absolutely great!

Last thing I need to do is decide what wheels and hubs I want

Have fun,
    Booner

a tight kick sound

Waahhhoooooo

My new sx trail came in today!!!!!!!!!!
    Stopped off at the lbs and saw it....DAMN
    Ahhh she is soooooo purty
    Will post some pics by the end of the week!

Later,
    Booner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am going through the same trouble. I am 5'10" 5'11". I have ridden Large XC frames, had a medium 02 enduro and a medium 04 big hit.. now deciding what size sx trail:
    I believe the regular enduros are larger than the sx trails.. is this correct? A large enduro's TT is 24.52" and a WB of 45.5 compared to a large sx trail with a TT of 23.8" but it gets a lot longer wheelbase of 46.53". I AM TORN!!!!
    A medium sx trail brings the wheelbase to the size of a large enduro, but the top tube is nearly two inches shorter than a large enduro and an inch shorter than an sx trail. I just dont know which size to go for...

a tight kick sound

?

Whatchyou plan on using this bike for?
    Think about this type of stuff and it might help you out a little...or tell us and we can help you out

Booner

mtbr member

got it too

Hey!

got my sx trail yesterday evening.
    believe me it fits great. the wheelbase of my medium with the 66 is almost 117 cm!!!!
    So I don't know how big the large will be. At least too big for singletrail use I think.
    the medium fits perfect for me, a friend of mine who tried it is 175cm tall and said that he would go for the small.

I love the ride, it's fantastic, spent 5 hours yesterday just urban(night) riding and got used to it more and more. doesn't at all ride as heavy as it is. maybe I'll keep the 66. This bike is so awesome. have to change the setup a bit today. I feel that I will be able to go really big on it. Just a bit sad that everything seems to get so easy to ride, compared to my 7 years old kona.
    I'll take some fotos asap.

It's the best bike I've ever sat on.

mtbr member

picture

here is a picture.
    couldn't manage to take a photo, how the green looks in reality.
    looks much better than on the pic.
    everything still in stock setup. will ride some trails in the weekend, and then I'll
    decide if i keep the 66 or exchange it to my z1fr1.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qranc; 11-10-2005 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Qranc
    here is a picture.
    everything still in stock setup. will ride some trails in the weekend, and then I'll

Please how much does it weight?

nice ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanx
    I don't know exactly. didn't weight it in the shop.
    I would say a bit over 17 kilos. but with other rims, tires and fork, it should be possible to get it around 15.5-16 kilos i guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks
    have fun!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride mostly ups and downs with drops thrown in. I have a stumpjumper hard tail that i use for full on XC, although the sx trail will be ridden on the same terrain. It will mostly be quick steep ups and quick steep downs searching for drops. Maybe 5 times a year to mount snow/diablo for freeriding/shuttle runs...Im tempted to get the large.. but i'm afraid that will be too long for pure freeride!

a tight kick sound

Coooool!

Qranc: SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, you got er!
    Looks awesome in green man! Lemme know how you like it with the z150 on there. I was thinking of selling mine but, if it works well on there I may keep it and get a bigger fork
    for the DH races!!!!
    I got mine the other day at the bike shop. Will prolly stay there until I get the rest of the parts But I got to look at it and drool over it. They said that it weighed in on the digital scale at 8.75 lbs (3.98kilo) with seatpost, seat clamp and big rubber chainstay protector!
    The thing is super stout and has a killer headtube and downtube junction. There is a sticker on the top tube that says "do not instal a fork with greater than 175mm of travel-dual crown acceptable!!!!" Shweet! This thing looks like she is ready for a real beatin'. CAn't wait to dish it out.

As for sizing. If you already have a XC bike then I would not worry about this bike being a little to small! But, I don't think the medium will be too small for you. Prolly will fit just right. You will have to get used to a shorter, less stretched out cockpit and short stem but, once you do you will not want to go back Am sure you already know this though!
    Anyway, I think the large would be way to big even if it was your only bike! You might think about the s-works enduro. The sizing on these is slightly more user friendly. They have a ton more angle adjustments too? Just a thought...I personally just love the look of the new sx frame....aawwwwww

Anyway, hope that helps!

Booner

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Qranc
    here is a picture.
    do you have a side shot? sweet bike

mtbr member
    sizing:
    never forget the distance between bottom bracket and front hub, which is huge at the sx trail. so while standing it's not a small bike at all. most of the time you stand, when it gets rough. I fell good on the medium, think it's perfect for me.(182cm) but I can't tell you for 100% if it will fit you.
    maybe you should go for a enduro.

@boone
    didn't see your reply till today, that's why it took me so long to write back.
    I will put the z1 on it today in the evening,
    and will tell you if it fits. I'm pretty sure it will. think it has about the same height as the fox on the sx trail 2.
    don't know if it's a good idea to put a z150 on it, as it has the same or even more? weight as an 2006 66. it will work great for sure, but it wont make the whole bike lighter. so you could also take a 66 for everything, also racing i guess.

have to take some better pics when the z1 is on it
    the green looks damn cool in real. it doesn't have this "plastic-look" as on the photo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    if your agro go for the medium. if it is just going to be a burly trail bike get a large. a front derailer will work, or you can do what i do. put a 32 up front, use the 38 for downhill and shuttle runs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast