mtbr member

sizes of a stumpy fsr (i know, i know)

i know this may have been covered a million times but can some people post some pics of there stumpy fsr's in different sizes, i'm getting an 06' expert over the next few weeks and wouldn't mind seeing the differences in sizes / appearance before i get to the shop to try them out.

apologies if this has been covered before

mtbr member
    I would say medium is good up to 6'1" or so. Large you would want to be around 5'10" or more. In between 5'10" and 6'1" you could go either way, depending on your preferred position and steepness of trails. I am 6'1/2", I went with the medium for more agility, but for steep climbs I have to keep my weight pulled far forward.
    Hope that helps, but it probably didnt, go try em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My specs are 6'-2.5" 200lbs 34" inseam. I have ridden both the 2006 SJ FSR and the 2006 Epic in the Large frame size and they were both too small because I felt like I was leaning too far over the handle bars and whenever I was sitting in the saddle i could pedal hard and the front would lift up on both bikes. I also noticed that when I sat in the saddle I would instinctivley sit far back on the saddle which meant the top tub was too short.

Here is one of the best fit calculators I have found. It will tell you everything

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...der=M&units=in

I emailed Specialized about my sizing problems and here is what they said:

"With your size and inseam, an XL does sound like the correct size for you. I do not think that the Brain Fade technology is going to be used on all the models of the SJ FSR's. They do come with the Propedal system on the Triad rear shock, so with proper shock set up you can make it feel close to the ride of the Epic. 200lbs is ok for either bike. I would just watch it with how much gear you are going to be riding with."

I also found this answer about sizing:

Question

How do I decide what size FSR XC I should buy?

Answer
    Here's a rough guide to go by:

5'2"-5'6"=small
    5'7"-5'10"=medium
    5'11"-6'1"=large
    6'2"-taller=X-Large

This is a rough guide. Depending on arm/torso length the size you may need will differ.

mtbr member
    That fit calculator seems a little off for me. I am 6' and half an inch or so. Going by my measurements and the published specs for the Stumpy, it gives me values greater than an X-large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02
    My specs are 6'-2.5" 200lbs 34" inseam. I have ridden both the 2006 SJ FSR and the 2006 Epic in the Large frame size and they were both too small because I felt like I was leaning too far over the handle bars and whenever I was sitting in the saddle i could pedal hard and the front would lift up on both bikes. I also noticed that when I sat in the saddle I would instinctivley sit far back on the saddle which meant the top tub was too short.

Here is one of the best fit calculators I have found. It will tell you everything

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...der=M&units=in

I emailed Specialized about my sizing problems and here is what they said:

"With your size and inseam, an XL does sound like the correct size for you. I do not think that the Brain Fade technology is going to be used on all the models of the SJ FSR's. They do come with the Propedal system on the Triad rear shock, so with proper shock set up you can make it feel close to the ride of the Epic. 200lbs is ok for either bike. I would just watch it with how much gear you are going to be riding with."

I also found this answer about sizing:

Question

How do I decide what size FSR XC I should buy?

Answer
    Here's a rough guide to go by:

5'2"-5'6"=small
    5'7"-5'10"=medium
    5'11"-6'1"=large
    6'2"-taller=X-Large

This is a rough guide. Depending on arm/torso length the size you may need will differ.
    My specs are exactly the same: 6'2" barefoot | 198lbs | 34" inseam

I demo'ed a L (no XL in stock). I liked the overall feel of the Stumpy but knew immediately that the L was way too small.
    Agile and fun? Absolutely.
    Comfortable for a long ride or variety of conditions? Not at all.
    The LBS had to special order the XL for me. When I got it I was a little taken back by the sheer size of the bike, but my first ride around the parking lot convinced me I had made the right decision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In order to use the fit calculator you have to be very exact in your measurements. You must have someone else measure you and that person must follow all the instructions for each measurement. Then you must have that same person measure you again so you can average the two times together before entering the numbers into the calculator. I got some messed up numbers the first time too but thats because I was trying to measure myself.

I ride a Swarf
    Id say the spesh guide sizes are good. I am 5'9 and ride a medium (2005 model). I love the fit.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im 5'11" and 198lbs with an inseam of 31" and accordig to the calculater i should be a large... but when i got my stump fsr the medium was more comfortable...i have short legs and long torso and arms...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just posted a pic of my medium stumpjumper in the pic thread if you want to see one... I'm 5' 8"/30" inseam and I like the fit. I'm sure I'd feel cramped on anything smaller.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am 5'11" and went with the large. The medium felt cramped. When standing over the medium the seat was hitting me in the back. My wife told me I looked like a circus bear riding around the parking lot.