mtbr member
    Jan 2010

singlecross headset

Hi,

Does anyone has any idea what headset I need to get to replace the worn stock headset on a 2009 specialized single cross as seen in the link below?

Specialized Bicycle Components

What day are we riding?
    You need a standard integrated headset. Cane Creek has a headset finder tool. I bought one of their 40 series.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    You need a standard integrated headset. Cane Creek has a headset finder tool. I bought one of their 40 series.
    Hi, I don't suppose you could give a specific modelnumber? I just came back from a local specialized dealer and they said they had never seen one like it, it must not be such a 'standard' integrated headset after all.
    They wrote down the serialnumber to order the part but I'm not sure they will be able to come up with something. Singlecross bikes were never sold here in Belgium, brought mine back from the US a few years ago.
    I took it apart in the bikeshop so they could have a look at it so I'll throw in some new grease for now. The crownrace is pitted from the hammering the bike has taken over the years so the performance will still be bad. The mechanic was actually cursing at specialized for using so many different standards on all their bikes. He said it was driving him crazy. I agree.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Wink

Ok, so I took the whole assembly apart and this is how it looks like (picture found on the internet, mine is not 'broken' as the one pictured, just worn) The 2 bigger cups on the right of the picture are the ones pressed into the frame. I'm totally at lost with the 'integrated headsets' and this VP-A18AK headset is apparently no longer made. What would be an 'easey' replacement? brand/models please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails singlecross headset-singlecross-headset.jpg  

mtbr member
    $42.98 at Price Point

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbozo View Post
    $42.98 at Price Point
    Cool, thanks for having patience with me.
    Even the headset finder tool was not all that clear to me. it shows what standard I need but then I can't continue from there to the models that use that standard. I've only ever used external bearing headsets before... and will keep it that way from now on too.