Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Not quite as new as some here. Call it a blast from the past. A 1986 Stumpjumper Sport.

nice bike ! cool to see some old stympjumpers too.
    Upgraded specialized stumpjumper comp carbon 29 HT 21.3 lbs(9,65 kg) under 21(9.5 kg) lbs when the race season starts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cantilever brakes suck, but the bike is way cool!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red94yj View Post
    Cantilever brakes suck, but the bike is way cool!
    You probably missed the SunTour Roller Cam brake under the chain stays. A bad brake in a hard to reach place. No wonder the industry only used them a few years. It's actually a very fun bike to ride.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi All. New here and I'd venture to say a bit of an amateur compared to you guys based on what I am reading. I am looking for advice on a stumpjumper i am considering. I currently ride a 2008 rockhopper 29er. 9 months a year I ride 30-40 miles per week- mostly road/ greenway miles... I only do about 100 miles/ yr of true mtb trails. I love my rockhopper and it suits me well but the shock is a piece of crap and needs to be replaced and the need for something new has been in the back of my mind. So I had my rockhopper in for a tune up the other week and noticed a "leftover" 2010 stumpjumper comp 29er (white) at the shop. Sweet looking bike so after stopping back a couple of times I took it for a ride and confirmed the obvious- that it is a huge step up from my current bike. Again I ride about 1000 miles/ yr the majority on pretty mild terrain so this bike is probably overkill. After talking with the dealer, they have offered to sell it for $1400- presumably b/c it is a 2010... This is more than I would normally think about spending, but seems like a good deal. Is it? I also have several offers for $425 for my old bike which seems pretty good. Am I crazy? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread- new to the forum thing... Thanks for any advice/ help you can provide.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by joshvt View Post
    Hi All. New here and I'd venture to say a bit of an amateur compared to you guys based on what I am reading. I am looking for advice on a stumpjumper i am considering. I currently ride a 2008 rockhopper 29er. 9 months a year I ride 30-40 miles per week- mostly road/ greenway miles... I only do about 100 miles/ yr of true mtb trails. I love my rockhopper and it suits me well but the shock is a piece of crap and needs to be replaced and the need for something new has been in the back of my mind. So I had my rockhopper in for a tune up the other week and noticed a "leftover" 2010 stumpjumper comp 29er (white) at the shop. Sweet looking bike so after stopping back a couple of times I took it for a ride and confirmed the obvious- that it is a huge step up from my current bike. Again I ride about 1000 miles/ yr the majority on pretty mild terrain so this bike is probably overkill. After talking with the dealer, they have offered to sell it for $1400- presumably b/c it is a 2010... This is more than I would normally think about spending, but seems like a good deal. Is it? I also have several offers for $425 for my old bike which seems pretty good. Am I crazy? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread- new to the forum thing... Thanks for any advice/ help you can provide.
    The 2010 SJ HT 29er is the exact bike I recently customized. $1400 isn't a great price considering they were $1800 brand new in 2010. So, if your RH 29er is in good working order other than the fork (shock), save your money and buy a new fork for it. I had a RH once and I loved it!

A Rockshox Recon or Reba would be a great fork for your RH. But shop wisely, there are great deals to find if you use patience and do alot shopping and searching before you buy. I would only buy a new fork (not used) and only a model that is no older than a 2010 if I were you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the quick response. Your mention of the original price raised a ? Since the original price marked on this bike was higher. Read back through my original post and realized I forgot to type that it is a " comp". Not sure if that changes the analysis...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    quick question to ask you fellas, i have a line on an 05 stumpjumper, stock deore xt componets,f90 fox,some aftermarket stuff, not even used until 2010 so litely used. looks real clean not beat to hell, would that be worth 5 bills?? please help.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by 08op View Post
    quick question to ask you fellas, i have a line on an 05 stumpjumper, stock deore xt componets,f90 fox,some aftermarket stuff, not even used until 2010 so litely used. looks real clean not beat to hell, would that be worth 5 bills?? please help.
    Lets see some pics that show details. I think it's worth $500 if it's like really clean and everything functions perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thats all i have right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show us your stumpjumper HT-stumpy.jpg  

show us your stumpjumper HT-stumpy-2.jpg  

official eMpTyBRain
    It's awesome and it's all the bike most of us would ever need!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

It's old but I love her

Here's mine. Would love a newer one but not in the budget. Does anyone have any idea what year this is? I'm thinking it's around a 94 from my google searchings. I got it off a guy for $70 in rough shape & been slowly adding new parts (should have spent a little more on the fork.. it added 2lbs to it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show us your stumpjumper HT-017.jpg  

show us your stumpjumper HT-019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here is my 2009 comp 26er after our last "sanctioned" night ride of the fall/winter season (which was quite wet here in central NC this year). Yup shes a 15.5 frame since I'm a short mo-fo! The tire in the background is my 2011 Camber Pro 26er
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show us your stumpjumper HT-img_0731.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

S-Works Stumpjumper Carbon 29er HT

Built up with X0, Hope Race X2 brakes, Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs, Stan's Crest Rims, etc. Still playing with stem height so steerer will be cut down at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show us your stumpjumper HT-dsc_0106.jpg  

show us your stumpjumper HT-dsc_0108.jpg  

show us your stumpjumper HT-dsc_0115.jpg  

Last edited by MonmouthRider; 03-26-2012 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MonmouthRider View Post
    Built up with X0, Hope Race X2 brakes, Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs, Stan's Crest Rims, etc. Still playing with stem height so steerer will be cut down at some point.
    Nice bike and nice color on the frame.
    Upgraded specialized stumpjumper comp carbon 29 HT 21.3 lbs(9,65 kg) under 21(9.5 kg) lbs when the race season starts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This is my 2008 Comp:

Stock, except for:
    - wheels (DT Swiss X1800)
    - brakes (Elixir 7)
    - shifters (X.0)
    - saddle (Selle Italia SL XC)
    - and some small details in red (cable housing, seatpost clamp, ...)

I'd like to change the following as well (as far as optics go):
    - every possible bolt in red (but it's too expensive for what it adds to the bike)
    - some spokes in red, much like some Roval wheelsets (i'd like to do this myself, without replacing any spokes, time to use the search function i guess...)

But for now it's ok, better get some more miles in before i change the next thing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just ordered the 2012 SJ Comp 29er in red/black. I'll have to upload some pics when it get 'er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dude - what the F* are you building in the background? A rock crawler? Looks awesome.
    12 Specialized SJ EVO 29
    11 Specialized SJ FSR Expert EVO
    08 Specialized SJ FSR Expert
    06 Enduro w/ "Pushed" Fox DHX 5.0

mtbr member
    during a foggy morning ride on Cape Cod. 2012 carbon comp 29er.
    Last edited by longshanks; 03-27-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: fixing photo
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    tunedin302- thats a custom 1 off built rockcrawler. my friends buddies, cost over 100g. wish it was mine.hahaha
    and i lost the deal on the stumpy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    such a cool shot.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    such a cool shot.
    yeah, i was so impressed by all the shots he got of me during that race. awesome photographer!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, if nothing else, you guys certainly have me wanting a newer Sj.
    But for now, here is my "upgraded" '02 M4; I still really like this ride
    (excuse the temp. cabling)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome hardtails!
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    May 2006

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast