mtbr member

Show me your bash guards

After riding some local singletrack with a buddy, I realized I need more BB clearance. Without a small bash ring, he was able to clear several large logs while my big ring would only chomp down into them.

I am considering dumping the front derailleur, big ring, and granny ring to go with a 1x9 setup. I have used the big ring several times on fire roads but the granny ring has only been touched maybe 5 times since I owned the bike. I am looking for a (oxymoron here) lightweight bashring.

Most of the popular bash rings are poly and although the slide easier, the tend to be thicker, heavier, larger, and can crack if installed incorrectly. The e-thirteen stuff looks like a thick dinner plate and doesn't appeal to me at all. Blackspire Lite God, Spot brand bash ring, Goldtooth Mafia, FSA rock ring, RaceFace bash ring are all very nice but expensive.

From the "Save some Weight" forum I found this thread:
    Light weight bash guard
    The BBG is very similar to the Spot but much cheaper.
    The modified titanium rock ring is nice as well.

So what are you running?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have an E-thirteen and a Blackspire ring god and love both. If I had to choose I would take the Ring god all day just because theres no way in hell its going to break ! If you had to save weight go w the E-thirteen, but its not a HUGE difference

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

thats a lite god - if its only offroad logs and stuff then it should last a while - mine cured exactly the situations you talk of. it is very light though - so its not a free ride/street REAL bash ring as it will soon look like a chain ring! lol
    weighs nothing so go easy on it - If I am racing then I take it off and big ring back on - 4 bolts quick enough.

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have the Salsa bash ring. Pretty cheap and its a nice piece of aluminum. I am using all my chain rings though. I think they make different models for using only two of your chain rings.

The Dude Abides
    I got a raceface one on my Enduro. It's only a little bigger than the middle chain ring, so I had to remove the large chain ring. Removing the large chain ring gives me a little more clearance.
    This aggression will not stand, man.

...idios...
    Lumbee1,

If you haven't already, you could do worse than check out the 1x9 thread in Everything Drivetrain. It has many, many examples of bashguards.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I really like the Goldtooth ones....

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006

mtbr member