mtbr member

should I switch from enduro to SX trail???

Ive been riding an 07' enduro elite for the past year and a half. The bike is set up stock, dhx 4.0 air and fox rl 130mm on the front, juicy 5's and x9. In the past year or two Ive been hitting bigger drops (up to almost 5ft...thats big for me) larger jumps and even taken it to a few resorts for dh. I love the geometry but the bike has bike has been sketchy in certain situations; particularly on larger hits and steep descents the front end feels weak. I weigh about 155lbs. Should I just buy a bigger fork? ..or look for a used Sx trail? The enduro handles well on trails, I would hope not to lose that feel If I went with the Sx...Has anyone ever made this particular switch???

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've changed the DHX4 Air for a DHX5 with Ti coil, and fitted a Z1 on my Enduro Elite. Makes it a totally different bike. I think the thru-axle really helps with front end feel. I also have heavy and light wheelsets depending on what I'm doing. I ride pretty much everything on this.

mtbr member
    that set-up looks great and I'm sure it rides well. But I could probably sell my enduro and get and sx for the cost of what it would be to up-grade my enduro... soooo...I'm not sure which to do? The question really is: Does the SX ride contrast that of the enduro enough to justify a new bike... or just upgrades???

eBiker
    I'm sorry, what was the question?

06 Enduro:

Enduro = longer top tube, SXT = a bit more burly & travel.

I like the longer top tube with short stem as this can be my everything bike.

P

mtbr member
    damn! thats sick! when I had my dhx air rebuilt, fox told me that I wouldn't be able to put a different piggy back style coil-over on the rear end because it would hit the frame where the seat-tube splits??? and that that was why my dhx4.0 has the schrader valve on the side? WTF? It looks like both of you guys replaced the rear shock no problem? what was FOX talking about? Man...thats a tight setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cyclesilicate... I too have 'beefed up' my Enduro. I run a coil shock and totem coil up front. It handles great, and feels like a lighter SXT. I love it. You said it yourself though, the money put into upgrading an Enduro could probably be spent to find a used SXT. There are some differences however, you can make pros/cons of either. Enduro = longer TT, lighter frame, $$ to upgrade parts. SXT = shorter TT, heavier frame, equal $$ to buy? In the end the enduro is probably a little more pedal friendly (just a little) with the SXT being a tad more burly. There were a good # of threads floating around talking about Beefy Enduros, coil shock upgrades, and the like...

Beefing up an Enduro Elite
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=enduro+coil
    Tech Question: Coil shocks in Enduro

mtbr member
    Beef up the Enduro! especially if you bought it from new, lifetime warranty is sweet!

I just stuck a set of Hutchinson Mosquito's and XC tubes and lost about 1.5kg compared to my DH tires and tubes. I wanna get a 2nd set of light wheels and tires for easier swapping and more weight loss but it's pretty good. I also daily commute 30km on it and it is great! even with the 66RC up front!

here's mine.

Mint condition Marzocchi 66RC for sale (170mm) pm to make an offer!

Ride in Japan? Come to the Forums!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone! This forum is super helpful. I might just start looking for a 160mm fork asap! Cheers. Steve

dirt visionary
    Yup I did and never looked back even had both for over a year together.

From xc/all mountain and in its lightest from 31lbs

later to a more of a all/mountain freeride setup 34lbs

to full on do it all @36lbs

mtbr member
    Just found this Bike store already posting 09 SX trails for sale (Pre-order obviously)

I want one NOW!!!

http://www.dalescycles.com/2009_Spec...09sxtrail2.htm

http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDe...e=2009sxtrail1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prophet_1000
    Just found this Bike store already posting 09 SX trails for sale (Pre-order obviously)

I want one NOW!!!

http://www.dalescycles.com/2009_Spec...09sxtrail2.htm

http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDe...e=2009sxtrail1
    Very expensive compared to '08 - 400 more for the SX I. I see they've dropped Marzocchi in favour of RS after the problems they've had this year. What's with the big springs in the shock - 500 for the small?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The shock is a much shorter stroke and therefore needs a much higher spring weight

mtbr member
    Ahh.. thanks

mtbr member
    What about the Domain fork, anybody have any experience of one?

I heard that the SX with 55 Marzocchi's had problems with it not reaching full travel on some forks or something along those lines?

Yes it is a little more than last years bike and apart from a couple of upgrades in the drive train and the rims/ front fork there isn't any other reason why the price is increased?

I can only presume that Specialized is recouping some of the frame development costs back with a high premium price on launch model bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prophet_1000
    I heard that the SX with 55 Marzocchi's had problems with it not reaching full travel on some forks or something along those lines?

Yes it is a little more than last years bike and apart from a couple of upgrades in the drive train and the rims/ front fork there isn't any other reason why the price is increased?

I can only presume that Specialized is recouping some of the frame development costs back with a high premium price on launch model bikes!
    Many of the travel problems are due to too much oil. I let some out of mine and it's been fine ever since. It needs a fair hit to get the last 10mm or so, but I let out most of the air and bottomed it on a jump. At least I know it gets full travel now.

The price increase will be for pretty much all manufacturers due to increased material costs and fuel costs.

mtbr member
    Yeah Bloody fuel costs!! didn't think of that one!! well thats a good enough excuse for me to get the SX trail II then! when the wife asks why it costs so much I'll blame it on the price of oil

Sweet

mtbr member
    My friends got the exact bike you have. I have an sx trail. We ride all of the same jumps, trail and his bike is fine. The only thing he's destroyed have been the s.o.s. rims. It sounds like it's plenty of bike for you. For a more sturdy feel I'de look into changing to a better fork. I really like the fox 36. It will take any noodley feel from the front end out. New fork, 20 mm front hub, better rims, 60mm stem, and a more aggressive tire. That would make your bike feel completely different.

mtbr member

66 ata does the trick

I put a new bomber on mine and it really rallies.
    I never touched the travel adjust on the 36 it came with, but not the minimum setting on the 66 ata is as long as the 36 could ever get. (What with the travel loss and all kinds of crapola from Fox.) Then I throw the ata action out to 180 and throw down on the downs. It makes the bb just that much higher, and the rake is as close to perfect as I need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AussieLostInNyc
    cheeky but helping a friend as much as it pains me.
    I will be repainting my this winter, love my SX Trail!

http://nycmtb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4135
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    I put a new bomber on mine and it really rallies.
    I never touched the travel adjust on the 36 it came with, but not the minimum setting on the 66 ata is as long as the 36 could ever get. (What with the travel loss and all kinds of crapola from Fox.) Then I throw the ata action out to 180 and throw down on the downs. It makes the bb just that much higher, and the rake is as close to perfect as I need.
    Attached Images
    what size is that? I ask because of the slope in the top tube. My enduro is straight and I thought all of the sx's are too?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thats an extra small. Small SXT's have a bent top tube like that too.

mtbr member
    Thats an extra small. Small SXT's have a bent top tube like that too.
    Oh I see, thanks! I could almost hear you running to your computer to post that as fast as you did!