mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Should I go tubeless on my 07 SJ Pro Carbon?

What are the pro's and con's of being tubeless?

mtbr member
    I love being tubeless. The only reasons I can't think of running tubeless are:

1. Tubeless versions of tires seem to have less "feel" than their tubed counterparts. If you can get a tubed tire to work tubeless, then this shouldn't be an issue. They are also heavier and more expensive.
    2. Tubeless setups can cost more and weigh more depending on what you get and your luck in finding stuff on clearance (I got last year's Crossmax SLs for $600 vs. the normal $900).
    3. You have to "refresh" the goop that you put in them, such as Stan's or the other brand.
    4. They can "burp" air, although my wheels with Spec. 2.3 2Bliss Resolutions haven't appreciably.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

go with Stan's

the tubeless conversion kit is like $55, includes two rim strips with presta stems with removable cores, rimtape, and a pint of goop. PITA the first time installing, watch the video on Notubes.com and do everything they show. You have to drill out the inside flange of the rim so the rimstrip/stem area sits flush. Use plenty of soapy water-bubbles only and go for it.

Advantages
    -the ability to run lower pressure depending on weight./riding style/terrain etc as low as 20 lbs. I weigh 190 w/gear and run 34 psi most of the time, and have gone down to 30 for wet muddy rides..That actually gives you much lower rolling resistance, and amazing traction.

puncture resistance/puncture sealing with the goop.

reduced rotational weight, many tubes are VERY heavy, Stan's goop is not light either, and I always put more in, Most standard rim's and tires can easily be converted with Stans. You do not need another tubeless wheelset, or expensive and HEAVIER tubeless tires. Convert what came on the bike and ride.

One of the best performance bangs for the buck you can get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pros vs Cons

First the pros.
    1. cost. I think its cheaper in the long run to have tubeless + stans cause you get so many less flats. I Typically get around 1000 miles out of a tubeless tire. Every couple months I have to add a couple dollars worth of stans. When I ran tubes I was probably getting a flat every week. Tubes cost 3-4 dollars so that adds up. Plus the cost of C02's to reinflate them I think the additional cost getting started with tubeless comes back, I run regular tires so the cost of them is the same.
    2. Far fewer flats. Its really amasing how well the tubeless system+stans works. I hardly ever flat. I get less flats on my MTB then I do on my road bike. I actually feel pretty good about MTB'ing with no spare tube or air. I would never do that on a road bike. Its too easy to hit a rock and pinch flat.

Cons.
    1. Goo everywhere.
    2. Supply vs demand pricing. A quart of stans used to cost like 5 bucks now is over 30.
    3.. Sidewall tears. Every so often a sharp rock will slit the side of a tubless tire. Its un fixable and you have to get ride of the tire. Never had on of those on a tubed tire.

For what its worth I will never buy another set of wheels that is not UST. Go tubeless
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    If your'e running dt swiss 4.2d rims give the dt swiss tubeless kit a try. I'm running them on my new Enduro SL. The DT Swiss kit is specifically made for their rims and effectively converts them to UST. Lots easier than Stans. I'm running the standard Resolution Pro tyres off the Enduro - no problems with burping, etc, and running about 30psi pressure.
    Lots more grip and lower rotational weight.
    You can get the DT swiss kits from chainreaction.com. I also think that airbomb.com and alfredebike.com have them.
    Make sure you get the 4.1/4.2 kit - there is a different kit for the 5.1 rims also
    Last edited by grahamt; 04-30-2007 at 03:27 AM.

mtbr member
    I love my UST wheels. I put non UST tires on there due to the weight (UST tires add a whole pound!!), and I used to have to pump them up every time before a ride, but not anymore. I think what really does it for me is that I NEVER, EVER EVER EVER!!! have to worry about flats anymore. I hated that, and it stole the fun out of a good ride. I don't mind the weight penalty. Hell, I need to lost a few pounds before my bike does... Now the problem is I'm scared about going back to tubed, because most 29ers (if not all??) aren't tubeless... eek!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna look in to this my only worry is about fixing a flat while on the mountain with tubeless.

mtbr member
    Its not a problem with the DT Swiss or Stans systems. THe need to change a tyre is very rare and only ocurs if the hole is too large for the sealant to handle - like a sidewall tear, which can happen whether you have tubeless or not. I always carry a lightweight spare tube just in case - only ever had to use it once in 2 years running both stans and DT Swiss systems.
    With DT Swiss simply remove the valve insert and put in a tube. With stans take out the whole rim strip and do the same. Only thing is it can be a little messy as all the sealing fluid will come out. If the hole isn't too large you can normally repair the tyre from the inside with a large patch.

The Other Dude
    I run UST and love them, i just picked up 32oz of stans for 15 bucks from the lbs, i believe a quart normally runs around 11 dollars. I love the low pressures you can run, its nice here in the north east when all you are riding over is wet, rocky, rooty terrain.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I ride tubes at the moment, and, unfortunately, gained weight over the winter. Problem is that I didn't change my air pressure to mach my increased weight, and I've pinched a number of times and actually smashed the $hit out of my current mavic 317's. I've since added more pressure.

So, my question is if I upgrade to UST with the added benifit of being able to run lower PSI with no pinch flats, won't I still get the problem of bashing my rims to death? I mean the rims are just pounded into the ground at low PSI regardless of whether your wheel is UST or tubed, right?

mtbr member
    Yep. I dented my 819s pretty bad because I didnt keep them at a highenough pressure while doing stair runs at my college. Theres about 4 fat dents in the rear... Sucks...

The Other Dude
    Yup, i have bent/smashed my crossmax SL twice now from running too low of a pressure, but i had mavics mp3 plan which covers everything, an got new wheels both times (I LOVE THAT PLAN!) but, i still love the tubeless, i have learned to watch the pressure, and not to too low anymore, but its still lower than i could run with my tubed tires.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Got mavic crossmax xl's with specialized roll x tires and I love this combo much better then the stock. Had some bends in the stock wheels and the stans wasn't going to work so instead I bit the bullet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c70keeb
    Got mavic crossmax xl's with specialized roll x tires and I love this combo much better then the stock. Had some bends in the stock wheels and the stans wasn't going to work so instead I bit the bullet.
    Are you running them tubeless? If you are, are they actually the tubeless model or are they regular ones that you used the Stan's sealant in?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Actual tubeless model. No stan's sealant or kit.
    How much should I sell my old wheelset the stock ones with tires...used for a month and a few days? I paid about 650 with tires for my new set is that an ok deal? Anyone have advice for maintenance of the mavics?

The Other Dude
    I love my mavic UST's. What wheelset are you planning to get? If you get a complete Mavic Set like the crossmax series, make sure you get the MP3 plan with them. I bent 2 sets of my Crossmax SL's (doing things is shouldnt have been doing on them!) and they replaced them for free, no questions asked. It cost 8% of the retail price of the wheels. I also run the Crossmax XL's on my Enduro, and the SLR's on my epic, i have had no issues at all with them, the UST is great, and they stay nice and true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c70keeb
    Actual tubeless model. No stan's sealant or kit.
    How much should I sell my old wheelset the stock ones with tires...used for a month and a few days? I paid about 650 with tires for my new set is that an ok deal? Anyone have advice for maintenance of the mavics?
    If those are 07 wheels and tires, then that sounds about right from what I have seen. I bought my Crossmax SLs for $600, but they were last year's model and on closeout.

As for maintenance, check out the Mavic site for instructions on taking the hub apart and using mineral oil to lubricate it. A friend of a friend recommended Pedro's Road Rage as the lubricant, but I haven't serviced mine yet. I will probably do it once every couple of months. You should have received a weird looking tool with little spikes on one side. This will open the hub up for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What wheelset are you planning to get?
    I ended up getting the mavic crossmax XL's. What tires are you running jut8?

Edit: I definitely got the protection plan.

The Other Dude
    I am running the Hutchinson Spider 2.1 UST tires with Stans, and i love them. For the wet, rocky, and rooty stuff we have here in the northeast, they cant be beat in my opinion. Alot of guys around here run Kenda Nevegals also, i tired them but didnt care for them that much, but alot of people swear by them like i do for my Spiders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anybody have an idea how much weight I gained or lost by switching over to the mavics with the roll x's?