mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Should I buy an Enduro SL Comp FSR 2007?

Sorry to post this as a new thread but I am kind of lost over the amount of info in the forum.
    My local dealer offers one for 2300 euros and I really love how the bike looks and I think it will suit my needs perfectly as I like very much descending rough paths and steep singletracks (and sometimes go completely out of bounds) but I also enjoy a good climb along with my XC friends. So i guess this is the bike for me, however I saw there are many complaints on shocks popping and forks clungging and air tubes replaced and stuff like that and I am very disheartened.

It is either this, or the 2008 stumpjumper or a KONA Dawg (although I think these 2 are "softer" bikes than the Enduro - at least their front shocks and their looks point to that derection)

Any views, opinions?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GRE144
    Sorry to post this as a new thread but I am kind of lost over the amount of info in the forum.
    My local dealer offers one for 2300 euros and I really love how the bike looks and I think it will suit my needs perfectly as I like very much descending rough paths and steep singletracks (and sometimes go completely out of bounds) but I also enjoy a good climb along with my XC friends. So i guess this is the bike for me, however I saw there are many complaints on shocks popping and forks clungging and air tubes replaced and stuff like that and I am very disheartened.

It is either this, or the 2008 stumpjumper or a KONA Dawg (although I think these 2 are "softer" bikes than the Enduro - at least their front shocks and their looks point to that derection)

i need another bike like i need a hole in my head
    Any views, opinions?

thanks
    i have the 08 enduro sl, and the 08 stumpy, my wife has the 07 stumpy and i ride with buddys that have the 07 enduro sl.

i do all the suspension work in my shop and have had no problems repairing the very small problems that specialized had --along with all the fox forks and shocks that i get that are blown, stuck down and locked up .-----( now i know not everybody can do this )

the enduro is my best bike of all , ----now i like the 08 stumpy also -------but for me the enduro just does alot more way better --( i ride mx also , and the enduro in just like my 08 CRF 450 and 250's whithout the motor )

to me ----the 08 stumpy actually is a better epic than the epic is.( but that is just me )----

either bike you get ----the enduro or the stumpy pro carbon -----you can not get a better bike .

every time i take another one of my buddys to a specialized ride day , and they ride an 08 enduro sl or the 08 cp stumpy, ---they have one or both bikes that next weekend,

in fact i just took my wife to the Specialized ride day this weekend here in Phoenix and my oldlady road all the current 08 bikes , ----and she fell in love with the 08 enduro sl carbon in a med size --( my bikes are all in XL and she needed to ride a med or small )

now she also really likes her 07 stumpy ----but i really shot myself in the foot, because she now really has gotta have the 08 carbon enduro sl in a med
    i really need to buy another bike like i need another hole in my head

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for your prompt answer, I must say it brought a smile on my face. However what troubles me is that you are referring to the Enduro 08 and the carbon edition which I think is way more improved than the "cheap" 07 version of SL Comp that I am after.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for your prompt answer, I must say it brought a smile on my face. However what troubles me is that you are referring to the Enduro 08 and the carbon edition which I think is way more improved than the "cheap" 07 version of SL Comp that I am after.

Thanks again
    actually my enduro is the 08 expert , ( which is not alot different than your 07 comp you are looking at )( my stumpy is the carbon -----but , for me it is probably not the best choise in frame meterail )

my oldlady can run the carbon and keep it a beutiful looking bike for years.

i on the other hand am a bike destroyer, ------and i ride my aluminum expert enduro because i get away with much less cosmetic ( and structrual ) damadge on the more forgiving aluminum frame ( that i can easily weld, drill, paint and repair myself quickly , ------where the carbon i can not as easily repair it , or make it as pretty again)( you would cry if you saw my stumpy -----i can't even look at it without crying )

trust me, -- i do tear stuff up .

so really a comp or a expert in aluminum works way better for me , -----

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i understand when you say the 08 stumpjumper being a better epic, its just as light now more travel, doesnt have the race geometry but that doesnt really matter too much, as much as i love my 08 epic i feel i may have benifited more from an 08 stumpjumper, however as i do plenty of road riding with the epic and the fact that i never have to touch the suspension, that much i like a lot, right now im torn between and enduro sl and an sx trail 2, too many choices dammit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    right now im torn between and enduro sl and an sx trail 2, too many choices dammit
    And damn you for putting ideas into my head. That SX Trail II is making me reach for my credit card..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Great Choice - Enduro SL

I love my bike. I've heard all the grumbling over the proprietary suspension, hubs, etc. but knock on wood, I've yet to feel anything but pure joy while riding this bike. Great handling, beefy and nice steering. It's burly, but still light. Unreal. If you ride really hard (freeride style) I'd opt for the SX trail, but for a bike that does it ALL, the Enduro is the one.

Now with More Wood

Thanks again
    The suspension components (which are what you are worried about) are pretty much identical (inside they are exactly the same) from the Comp to the S-Works. That is part of the reasons the lower end SL's are such a good bargain. And frankly, the other components on the Comp will keep you rolling a good while, and when they don't anymore, you can upgrade to your preferred stuff....

Now, they DID upgrade suspension on all '08s. If the bike you are looking at shows any weird signs (like compression or rebound adjustment having little noticable effect on the suspension behavior, you should ask the shop to replace the rear shock with the '08, and the fork internals as well before you buy it. They should be able to do that by default - Specialized policy.

And as others have said, if you are looking for a one bike does it all (up and down), you can't go very wrong with the SL!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am now a proud owner of a metallic silver 2007 Specialized Enduro SL Comp and I must tell you your answers played a big part to my decision. Thank you all. I cannot wait to throw this monster into a downhill track. My first impressions? Well, this bike cannot compare to my old Kona Kula hardtail. It s a beast! suspensions, tires, sitting position, brakes, shifters, everything is so much better quality. I rode from the bikeshop to my house and I felt like riding a motorcycle. Like switching from a small fiat to a Grand Cherokee. Bumps? huh. I laughed at them. Braking? instant. Riding? supple and comfortable yet in a very controled way. Peddaling? soft and light. SHifting? sooooo accurate and precise.
    The bikeshop mechanic told me to consider buying a full-face helmet and some protective equipment as this bike is going to drive me to even steeper tracks and will make me ride faster and do things I never thought rideable. I can already understand his point. I have to do some trimmings and adjustments and next weekend I will hit the mountain. Will give you feedback if you like. Will try to post some photos as well. Thanks again for your replies. Happy riding to all