View Poll Results: Should I buy a 2006 or 2007 Stumpjumper FSR?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy a 2006 model...

    8 72.73%
  • Wait and buy the 2007 model...

    3 27.27%
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120

    New question here. Should I buy a 2006 or 2007 Stumpjumper FSR?

    I’m seriously considering on buying a Specialized FSR. However; I’m not sure when to buy. The Specialized FSR in the current geometry now sees it’s third year. Eventhough I like the bike very much; I’m not a big fan of the sloped top tube. Especially the XL size (which I need) doesn’t look great. But those are just minor cons.

    The thing is; when I buy a bike, I buy a bike well. My next bike will not be replaced within 4-7 years. So I’ll spend some serious time on it. Taking this into consideration; I would like to know; should I buy a 2006 Stumpjumper FSR, or wait 11 months and buy a 2007 Stumpy?

    What would you do if you were in my position?
    If I was sure that the 2007 model will have the exact same geometry, I would buy the 2006 model. But I seriously have no clue. What do you think?
    Last edited by Xioz; 11-10-2005 at 11:03 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    272
    I don't think anyone does. I mean 06 models just came out so its gonna be a while for 07. I don't see why they would change anything major for 07 other than maybe a component spec. Which model are you looking at.. the base model?? I mean its a pretty good spec with fox and what not. What of the geometry don't you like? I can almost garauntee the sloped top tube is not going anywhere. They even do that on their road bikes, so the sloped top tube is here to stay. Allows more standover and I'm sure theres some sort of stronger aspect of it. I would just get the 06 I don't think anything major is gonna change for 07. Especially if you are looking at the bottom line, they will change a model or two on the top before it trickles down so it will be at least 2 years before you would see it on the base.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zonoskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    912
    Nobody has a clue about the 2007 bikes, maybe not even Specialized do at this point. I would say, buy a bike when you need one.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    @MTBFreerideCT:
    Indeed I'm looking for the base model, which looks like this (different colours compared to the U.S. model):


    ___

    This is the part of the tubing I'm not particulary fond of. I'm sure it's well-constructed and beefy, but I think the look of it doesn't fit the overall design well. The smaller sizes do look better however. But the picture underneath is the XL-size; the size I'll need (I'm 6"5).



    The new Stumpjumper FSR S-works carbon model is an argument that the Stumpjumper will remain the same for 2007. I think development costs of the S-works Stumpy demand it stays for at least 2 years. But maybe they developed it so they can keep up with the carbon-trend.

    Does anyone know the average time a specific geometery by Specialized lasts before the they decide to introduce a new model? The Giant NRS for example has been around for at least 5 years before it was replaced by the Maestro series.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    13
    I say buy it now. I doubt the design will change significantly, and it'd be better to get the 06 and have an additional year of enjoyment out of it. When you're on the bike, you won't be looking at the frame.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    134
    What about looking at it a different way and ask yourself, "What does the 06 have that I don't have on my current bike?".

    If there's not anything you HAVE to have, then wait until next fall. When the 07's come out either buy the 07 if it's got some big improvement, or buy a leftover 06 that's on closeout discount.

    Btw, I like the top tube on the 05 better than the 06 too.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    272
    Honestly, I remember on the Epic seeing an XL and thinking that the way it was just looked kind of weird in that area. So i see where you're coming from, but it is a plenty beefy area and I think you will love the bike. i have the HT version now, but had an 04 stumpy FSR and loved it!! If it is the bike you want get it. It will not change significantly for 07 so get it now and enjoy!!

  8. #8
    Faster the Better!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    187
    Santa Cruz Nomad...I have a stumpy 120 expert 05 and Love it...But My nomad that I just got...Different Ballpark! Just go and try one..This will be your 4 to 7 year bike...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattlechronic
    Santa Cruz Nomad...I have a stumpy 120 expert 05 and Love it...But My nomad that I just got...Different Ballpark! Just go and try one..This will be your 4 to 7 year bike...
    Never buy a bike, always wait for the better model next year...lmao RIDE THE BLODY BIKE

  10. #10
    b3n
    b3n is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96
    It's the curse of XL bikes... many XL frames look odd in comparison to the M and L versions. In other words: nobody knows what is going to happen with the 2007 Stumpy, but, in my opinion, even if they change the frame design and the bike looks better for smaller sizes, there's a good chance that the XL frame would look strange. Go for the 2006 and ride.

    Bye,

    b3n

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16
    this kinda reminds of my uncle, when cd players were first introduced he said he'd wait until the next technology. Anyway he is still waiting and listning to tapes. I say get the 06 if it suits your riding style. Who knows what the 07 is going to look like, if you're unlucky you might end waiting for the 08 stumpy....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plussa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    278
    My prediction is that if they're going to change the frame for 2007, they're doing the same modifications that are done in the new 2006 carbon Stumpy frame:

    130mm rear travel, adjusted head angle, slightly higher bottom bracket.

    I'm almost sure there will not be any radical changes to the aluminum frames, because it would make the brand-new carbon frame look outdated. And that's not what Specialized wants.

    The low bb has been the main problem for some users with Specialized fsr frames for a long time, and it's nice to see that Specialized has listened to us and made it higher in the carbon frame. Changing the aluminum fsr 120's ' bb height would have been too expensive to do after just one production year, so maybe that's the reason 2006 frames are the same as 2005 frames. But maybe next year...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Thanks for all the great replies. All much appreciated!

    Some views are quite logical, but I couldn't really think of them myself ... I sum some up:

    Quote Originally Posted by betes
    it'd be better to get the 06 and have an additional year of enjoyment out of it.
    Good one!

    Quote Originally Posted by walkman
    What about looking at it a different way and ask yourself, "What does the 06 have that I don't have on my current bike?".
    My current bike is a 1998 model hardtail. It rides well, but it lacks 120 mm full-suspension, disk-brakes etc. etc. etc. An '06 Stumpjumper FSR would be a major improvement. You made a good point.

    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    Never buy a bike, always wait for the better model next year...lmao
    LOL. You're right actually.

    Thanks again everybody! I'm now leaning more towards an '06 model. But any new views are welcome!

  14. #14
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    @MTBFreerideCT:
    Indeed I'm looking for the base model, which looks like this (different colours compared to the U.S. model):


    ___

    This is the part of the tubing I'm not particulary fond of. I'm sure it's well-constructed and beefy, but I think the look of it doesn't fit the overall design well. The smaller sizes do look better however. But the picture underneath is the XL-size; the size I'll need (I'm 6"5).



    The new Stumpjumper FSR S-works carbon model is an argument that the Stumpjumper will remain the same for 2007. I think development costs of the S-works Stumpy demand it stays for at least 2 years. But maybe they developed it so they can keep up with the carbon-trend.

    Does anyone know the average time a specific geometery by Specialized lasts before the they decide to introduce a new model? The Giant NRS for example has been around for at least 5 years before it was replaced by the Maestro series.
    A friend of mine is always delaying his buying because there's always something new and shiny on the horizon.

    I have a Stumpy FSR XL '04 (first year with that design) and I think it looks pretty tough. Are you sure that's an XL? My bike has an extra gusset near the seatpost to make it stronger, and also the headtube is larger, and I like that. I think, based on your pic, that they changed the XL design.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    A friend of mine is always delaying his buying because there's always something new and shiny on the horizon.

    I have a Stumpy FSR XL '04 (first year with that design) and I think it looks pretty tough. Are you sure that's an XL? My bike has an extra gusset near the seatpost to make it stronger, and also the headtube is larger, and I like that. I think, based on your pic, that they changed the XL design.
    You could be right on the extra gusset. I've seen it too on the XL 2004 model in this picture:


    The blue Stumpjumper FSR that I posted was a Google search result for 'Specialized FSR XL'. So I'm not 100% sure it is indeed the XL-size.

    Anyone knows if the '06 models has the extra gusset? Plus; does anyone know the size of Spill's bike?
    Here's the link to the big pic: http://spill.erf.net/bike/stumpy.jpg
    Last edited by Xioz; 11-11-2005 at 04:13 PM.

  16. #16
    Antagonist
    Reputation: spill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    61
    Anyone knows if the '06 models has the extra gusset? Plus; does anyone know the size of Spill's bike?
    Here's the link to the big pic: http://spill.erf.net/bike/stumpy.jpg
    It's a large.

  17. #17
    This is bat country.
    Reputation: mtbiker731's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    132
    They kept the gusset on the 05 too. Mine has the extra gusset as you can see in the photo. Frame is an XL.

    If the rig made the rider, I'd be pro...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120

    Stumpjumper FSR frame size...

    Thanks for your replies concerning the Stumpjumper FSR's frame size. The '06 model indeed also has the extra gusset.

    In the 'Specialized bike picture thread' I've seen numerous XL-size Stumpjumper FSR's with the seat-post (saddle) positioned very high. Is that a personal preference, or is it really necessary? How about the longer stem and the bent seatpost?

    Being 6"5 tall, is it absolutely necessary to get the XL size? Would a size L with a longer stem and the saddle being shuffled more backwards be allright?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plussa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Being 6"5 tall, is it absolutely necessary to get the XL size? Would a size L with a longer stem and the saddle being shuffled more backwards be allright?
    I'm 6" tall with long legs, and I can barely get the seat up enough with a 410mm seatpost in the L size frame. I can still put my both toes to the ground when siting on the bike when the saddle is at the highest position.

  20. #20
    Now with 3 more inches!
    Reputation: tigerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,464
    6' 5" - definitely get an XL. I'm just under 6' 4" and I know I'm an XL. Don't buy a bike that's too small because it looks nicer. Mediums and larges generally look better proportioned to me, but I wouldn't get one. If you want an XL frame that looks good proportionally, you should look at 29ers.

    Matt

  21. #21
    Now with 3 more inches!
    Reputation: tigerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,464
    Just a couple more thoughts. rzozaya1969 kindly lent me his '04 XL yesterday and I really like the look of the frame and the standover clearance is really good.

    Matt

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    428
    If you need anyone else to chime in, I can say almost unequivocally that a Large will be too small for you. I ride a large and I am 5'10". I think it fits me great. With the amount of seatpost I have showing, I don't see how a Large would ever fit you, even with a relatively long torso and short legs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xioz
    Thanks for your replies concerning the Stumpjumper FSR's frame size. The '06 model indeed also has the extra gusset.

    In the 'Specialized bike picture thread' I've seen numerous XL-size Stumpjumper FSR's with the seat-post (saddle) positioned very high. Is that a personal preference, or is it really necessary? How about the longer stem and the bent seatpost?

    Being 6"5 tall, is it absolutely necessary to get the XL size? Would a size L with a longer stem and the saddle being shuffled more backwards be allright?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •