Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Should brakes break the deal?

I want to get a 2013 specialized Enduro or Stumpy. I keep reading how terrible the stock Elixir 5 brakes are. I'm not rich and don't want to buy xt brakes for a bike I just spent $3500 on. What should I do? Are the brakes a deal breaker?

Class Clown
    You could always ask the shop if they will swap the brakes for you, or sell them. I would normally expect to want to swap a part or 2 on a stock bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    They're not that bad. You'll probably get at least a year or two out of them.

Quiet Professional

Re: Should brakes break the deal?

I agree. Ask the shop to swap them out if you want different brakes.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The brakes does suck. Is true. I should have swapped it out. Spent a bit just for it to be in the shop twice already.

Levi Early
    there are a few options. See if the shop will give you an instore credit for them towards other brakes. That is what we used to do at the shop I worked at.
    another option is suck it up, buy the other brakes you want for the bike and sell off the brakes that came on it. I see lots of brakes pop up online as new factory take offs. You should be able to get a good amount for them on ebay or craigslist. Sometimes the shop will even give you a discount on parts you buy with the bike.

mtbr member
    2013? Don't the 2013's come with Magura's now?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    2013? Don't the 2013's come with Magura's now?
    Epics yes Magura. Stumpy's and Enduro's still the 5/7's. Until you're up in the S-Works $$ range.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Should brakes break the deal?-untitled.jpg

The lowest spec'ed SJ shows Magura brakes on the Spesh site...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    They might not be that bad for you, to be honest. Mine were all good. Not everybody has problems with Avid's.

That being said, any good shop would want to make the customer happy so it is worth mentioning your thoughts and see if they can offer any solution.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an 13 SJ FSR elite 29er and I love the stock brakes....much better then the Maguras.

mtbr member
    You just dropped $3500....don't let $300 stop you now. Get the XT's, less than tax on your new rig.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	797584

The lowest spec'ed SJ shows Magura brakes on the Spesh site...
    True, true, but OP said Enduro and Stumpy so I took it as the Stumpy FSR's.

Dirt Junkie
    I haven't had any issues with the Elixir 5 on my '13 Enduro. I've got about 6 months on them and it's been a real wet 6 months. I see no reason to do anything anytime soon. If I do, I'll upgrade to XT's, they're getting cheap.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    They might not be that bad for you, to be honest. Mine were all good. Not everybody has problems with Avid's.

That being said, any good shop would want to make the customer happy so it is worth mentioning your thoughts and see if they can offer any solution.
    Serious? I assume you do long downhill runs in your riding too, have they not squeal like crazy and vibrate to the point that it scares all the people around you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is my experience.....

I had some shimano SLX brakes on my last bike, AWESOME BRAKES!! They are now on my wifes 29er trek marlin....these are the older SLX brakes with the larger master cylinder...the newer ones are SHARP

My new '13 camber comp came with the avid elixir 3's...I love the feel of the brakes (the look too!!). After riding for about a month and a half, they started squealing pretty bad, sanded the pads and cleaned the rotors and they got quiet again. I like the Elixir 3s but they are definately not as strong as my SLX brakes. My bike is actually at the shop right now getting the front brake bled to see if it will get any stronger...if not I will probably put my SLX on my spesh and put the elixir 3s on my old lady's trek.

I would personally buy SLX brakes if you were to buy any, the things are rock solid and cheaper than the other shimano brakes

mtbr member
    Take take the stock brakes off and sell them as new takeoffs and buy what you want. After several issues in the past I refuses to run Avid brakes. My latest build came with Avid X0 Trail Worldcup 4 piston brakes, I sold them and bought Shimano Zee for the same price I sold the Avids.

If I was selling Elixir 5/7s, I'd replace them with SLX. Great brakes and the price isnt bad at all.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman2304 View Post
    I had some shimano SLX brakes on my last bike, AWESOME BRAKES!! the newer ones are SHARP

I would personally buy SLX brakes if you were to buy any, the things are rock solid and cheaper than the other shimano brakes
    As has been said, XT is the new XTR, SLX is the new XT.

mtbr member
    The SLX is an excellent brake. Not too much different than the XT...and I have yet to read a bad review on the SLX.

official eMpTyBRain
    I bought a Stumpy FSR from my LBS a while back and had them upgrade some stuff. I simply paid the difference in cost and had a new bike EXACTLY how I wanted it.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nothing feels worse then the MT6 brakes that are on the new epics....I test rode a new expert evo epic today...worse feeling, loudest brakes of any bike I have been on.

official eMpTyBRain
    ^that's just your opinion which is fine but it doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong for everyone. Magura brakes have exactly the feel, power, and modulation I like.

Different strokes for different folks.

Sounds like the pads need to be bedded and or adjusted. Could happen to any brake, especially brand new. Did you consider that?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    not to spam... but i have a set of magura mt6's for sale. upgraded my sj to mt8's and they're just laying around. $250 and they're yours.

i work in a specialized-only shop and the elixirs are complete $h!t. we've had so many problems w/ them and i expect spec will be switching to all magura for 2014. they have a pretty good relationship as seen in the mts (s stands for specialized).

DM me if you're interested

RideDirt
    Just pick up some Xts and your good to go .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Avids are crap. If you are buying the bike at or near MSRP the shop should be able to swap the brakes for free IMHO. At the very Min they should sell you some XT's at cost which should be less then 200 for the set, and then you can sell the avids on ebay and try to recoup some money.

I totally disagree with the since your already spending 3500 whats another 300 comments. For 3500 dollars you deserve a bike that works. No shitty parts, No creeking, no squealing etc. $3500 = dialed bike. If the brakes squeal and shutter Specialized should warranty them to some that work and stop putting **** brakes on their bikes. If your shop will not swap parts you want on a new bike at dealer cost and either give you a credit for the old parts, or let you sell them on ebay then find a new dealer. Dealer cost is about 50% of retail price.

I was looking at Buying a Stumpy EVO HT with the 1x10 but did not want the CTD fork because CTD is the worst idea since rapid demise derailleurs. The dealer offered to sell me the bike at full msrp and allow me to purchase a REBA at dealer cost, and they would keep the fox fork. I politely declined.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast