mtbr member

shorten the seat stem

have a 2007 enduro expert and the seat stem is not able to slide down as far as i'd like (for downhill rides) because the seat tube/shaft what ever its called is interupted by the shock. any problems with hacking an inch off the stem...is this going to void out anything?

thanks.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004
    have a 2007 enduro expert and the seat stem is not able to slide down as far as i'd like (for downhill rides) because the seat tube/shaft what ever its called is interupted by the shock. any problems with hacking an inch off the stem...is this going to void out anything?

thanks.
    Usually a minimum amount of seat post must be inside the seat tube for proper support, generally around 4" of insertion is needed. With interrupted seatpost designs like the Enduro this can be an issue if you lift your saddle up very high and expose a lot of post and then want to lower it significantly for downhill sections.

Although this will vary by frame size, from the picture it looks like you should have a solid 8" of seattube available for adjustment (there's 10" of seat tube on my '06 large Enduro). As long as your seat post is long enough to start with then you should be able to do this.

Do a little math to figure out if cutting an inch off will work for you. Put your saddle up as high as you're ever going to want to have it. Measure the post from the top of the seat tube to the rails of the saddle. Then take the seatpost completely out of the seat tube and measure the whole thing, from the end of the post to the saddle rails. Subtract you're first measurement from your second. If the number is 5" or more then you should be able to cut it down at least 1". If the difference is less than 5" then it's probably nearly as short as you can go with that set-up.

You may also first want to check with Specialized to make sure that you can cut the post down without voiding the warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Usually a minimum amount of seat post must be inside the seat tube for proper support, generally around 4" of insertion is needed. With interrupted seatpost designs like the Enduro this can be an issue if you lift your saddle up very high and expose a lot of post and then want to lower it significantly for downhill sections.

Although this will vary by frame size, from the picture it looks like you should have a solid 8" to 10" of seattube available for adjustment. As long as your seat post is long enough to start with then you should be able to do this.

Do a little math to figure out if cutting an inch off will work for you. Put your saddle up as high as you're ever going to want to have it. Measure the post from the top of the seat tube to the rails of the saddle. Then take the seatpost completely out of the seat tube and measure the whole thing, from the end of the post to the saddle rails. Subtract you're first measurement from your second. If the number is 5" or more then you should be able to cut it down at least 1". If the difference is less than 5" then it's probably nearly as short as you can go with that set-up.

You may also first want to check with Specialized to make sure that you can cut the post down without voiding the warranty.
    good idea about checking with Spec on the warranty...with some companies,if you even sneeze on the frame you void the warranty. i measured the post last night and it was 14.5 inches i believe...so i think hacking off an inch will still leave plenty of insertion length. i know there's a small hole in in the back side of the seat tube and i guess the rule is as long as you can still see the post thru the hole you're ok...my main concern was voiding out any warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As long as you can see the post thru the hole in the seat-tube, you're fine. Just make sure that it'll still be long enough to work when you're doing your XC rides. I ended up with two posts--one super short for DJ'ing and another for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    As long as you can see the post thru the hole in the seat-tube, you're fine. Just make sure that it'll still be long enough to work when you're doing your XC rides. I ended up with two posts--one super short for DJ'ing and another for trail riding.
    thanks. i'll have to take some more measures prior to any "hacking"

as for the handle bars...i've noticed they are about 2 inches narrower than my gt bike bars (26" vs 28"). can i get any kind of "extenders" to put on the ends of these bars to widen them a little or would i just have to get new bars for that? just curious...if it's an easy fix i would do it. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocguy2004

thanks.
    fyi...i took an inch off the seat post last night (XL frame) and still have plenty of room on the seat post. seat position much better now.