mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Shock or fork upgrade

I have an '04 FSR XC base model and have saved enough money to upgrade either the fork (Manitou Axel Comp) or the rear shock (Fusion-X thingy). I have about $350 to spend, which should I do first? Why? What brand/ model of either fork or shock woulld you buy? I ride XC as a past time only.

Thanks

Max

mechmann_mtb
    i could be way off here, but if you don't know which one you should upgrade, then maybe you should keep your treefity in the bank (treefity won't buy a real high end fork anyway)

i just mean that if you are happy with the performance of the bike then the keep the dough.

if you are unhappy then fix the problem, but then you wouldn't be asking on here whether to buy a shock or a fork. see what i mean

from personal experience, a better fork always seemed to be the best upgrade. but untill recently i rode hardtails and a better rear shock wasn't an issue

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    i could be way off here, but if you don't know which one you should upgrade, then maybe you should keep your treefity in the bank (treefity won't buy a real high end fork anyway)

i just mean that if you are happy with the performance of the bike then the keep the dough.

if you are unhappy then fix the problem, but then you wouldn't be asking on here whether to buy a shock or a fork. see what i mean

from personal experience, a better fork always seemed to be the best upgrade. but untill recently i rode hardtails and a better rear shock wasn't an issue
    Fair comment, I don't know which one to upgrade. A catch 22 perhaps? Anyone else want to comment.

You may ask, why not just upgrade the whole and hence the components? My answer is that I got this bike for a steal, new 6 months age for $685!, so I have room..

Thanks,

Still learnin'

Max

Humpmaster general
    Here is what I would do.

Upgrade the fork. a good candidate would be the MANITOU BLACK SUPER RTWD '05. you can probably get one on closeout for around your price. It has adjustable travel 90mm to 120mm.

Next season save another $200 and buy the beted link.

https://www.betd.co.uk/news_story.asp?NewsID=39

The beted link adds 20mm to your rear travel, and you will already have the 120mm travel on the front to match the rear travel, keeping the handeling the same.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member

FSR XC Shock and Fork

I have the same bike. I have upgraded the fork to a Manitou Black Super Air 100mm with TPC Lockout. The shock I upgraded to a Cane Creek Cloud 9. The fork I got on closeout from Greenfish for about $250 and the rear shock I got from Cane Creek on the shock upgrade program for $225. I upgraded the fork first and then the shock. Once you upgrade one you will want to do the other to give it a better balance. But if you only have enough money for one or the other I would probably start with the rear shock and get rid of that cheap coil.