mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Shock fit on '06 SX Trail

Hey. This thread is a head's up to anyone who has or will be purchasing an '06 SX Trail without a rear shock, or is looking to change shocks.

After some very frustrating trial and error, I've discovered than neither a standard Fox DHX Air nor a Marzocchi Roco fit the frame.

As for the Air, the valve hit the edge of the shuttle when using the Low BB mount and couldn't even be attached to the rear triangle. In the High BB position, it fit if you dialed in the bottom out all the way and removed the cap from the valve stem on the reservoir BUT the valve stem rested on the frame and you had no bottom-out adjustment.

The reservoir on the Roco was simply too long and the shock wouldn't fit in either position.

Haven't tried the new Manitou shocks, so can't comment on those. In the meantime, though, it looks like Fox DXH coil is the way to go.

Hope I can save someone else the grief I went through.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since the '06 SX Trail comes stock with a "custom" DHX 5.0 (4.5?) you can get one that will fit. You'd have to ask Fox to sell you the OEM version of the shock that Specialized puts on their '06 frames. The air adjustment is pre-set (i.e. you can't add air to it) but all the other adjustments are there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Basically the frame is very similar to the 05 model ones and was never intended to be used with a shock with a resivoir, or at least not a fixed one. You could try a swinger 3way or i think darren berrecloth has squeezed in a 4way. A dhx3 shock may fit cos that doesn't have the valve on the end of the resivoir although that is oem, The best shock would be the modified dhx without the valve which is what specialized spec on the complete 06 bikes, not sure how easy it is to get oem shocks though. You coud always get a romic is suppose...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've got a DHX 5 on there now and it fits, but I've had to take off the valve cap and screw in the bottom out about half way. You also have to take off the top mounting bolt and rotate the shock to change the air pressure. But it fits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice one, so i suppose if you wanted a 170mm travel air sprung enduro you could put in a dhx air with the valve cap off and bottom out screwed in a bit, how does having to have to bottom out screwed in effect performance? i've not had the luxury of such a fancy shock.

asp
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by painter
    I've got a DHX 5 on there now and it fits, but I've had to take off the valve cap and screw in the bottom out about half way. You also have to take off the top mounting bolt and rotate the shock to change the air pressure. But it fits.
    hi... is it a coil dhx 5?
    could you put a pic in the forum please?
    many thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

cane creek double barrel will fit..

I'm currently running the OEM dhx coil but have the CC double barrel on order and have confirmed with cane creek that it will fit...I'll try to post some pics when I recieve the damper in the next week or two

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It's the standard aftermarket DHX 5.0 coil. I got the frame without a shock...

The Air only fits if you screw in the bottom out ALL the way. Which, IMO, means it doesn't work.

I'll post a pic in the next couple of days.