mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Shock Eye Bushing? '04 Enduro Comp

There is a lot of play on the top mount of my '04 Enduro Comp Shock. It appears that the bolt is too small in diameter for the eye hole. Is there supposed to be a bushing in there? It's been loose since I bought it.

The LBS "fixed" it by tightening the hell out of the bolt so that the frame side plates put a big enough squeese on the outside of the eye so that you couldn't tell that the fit was bad. Thanks for nothing LBS....

Anyways, looks like there should be a bushing. Can someone validate?

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklink
    There is a lot of play on the top mount of my '04 Enduro Comp Shock. It appears that the bolt is too small in diameter for the eye hole. Is there supposed to be a bushing in there? It's been loose since I bought it.

The LBS "fixed" it by tightening the hell out of the bolt so that the frame side plates put a big enough squeese on the outside of the eye so that you couldn't tell that the fit was bad. Thanks for nothing LBS....

Anyways, looks like there should be a bushing. Can someone validate?
    Hi,

Your LBS was correct. The bushing is between the shock and the silver aluminum reducers. The bolt has to be tight enough to pinch the aluminum reducers.

JW

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Humm....

That seems a little odd, unless the "reducers" are tapered, and squeeze in between the inside of the eye and the bolt diameter. I guess I'll have to take it apart and have a look. I would understand tightening the bolt to take side/lateral play out. But I was thinking maybe a bronze or plastic bushing around the bolt, inside the shock eye would be the order to take the linear slop out. When you tighten the crap out of the mounting bolt, you apply friction to the side of the eye that degrade the free pivot action of the shock, which would seem to prevent the pivoting of the shock when the rear triangle moves.

Maybe I'm just thick, yeah, that's probably it. Wish I had a technical exploded view drawing of the mess.

Thanks!!

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by weaklink
    That seems a little odd, unless the "reducers" are tapered, and squeeze in between the inside of the eye and the bolt diameter. I guess I'll have to take it apart and have a look. I would understand tightening the bolt to take side/lateral play out. But I was thinking maybe a bronze or plastic bushing around the bolt, inside the shock eye would be the order to take the linear slop out. When you tighten the crap out of the mounting bolt, you apply friction to the side of the eye that degrade the free pivot action of the shock, which would seem to prevent the pivoting of the shock when the rear triangle moves.

Maybe I'm just thick, yeah, that's probably it. Wish I had a technical exploded view drawing of the mess.

Thanks!!
    I think you are still misunderstanding. The part that the bolt goes through does NOT rotate. The shock rotates around this tube or reducer. You want to secure the reducers by clamping them tight. The reducers or eye does not rotate, so there is no added friction.

Trust me. Make sure the bolt is tight and that the shock part that touches the shock link does not rotate around the bolt.

JW

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Got It!!

That makes sense. I didn't realize the shock rotated around the reducer. I thought it rotated around the bolt. Thanks for spoon-feeding me on that one. Sorry I'm so dense.