mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Which shock and cranks to upgrade on my Stumpy? (Warning - Sad Story)

Long sad story short, I was in a car accident (well, hit and run) that left me with severly damaged knees. To ad insult to injury, my seriously geeked out M2 Stumpjumper was stolen shortly after. Had custom built wheels with CF hubs, limited edition S-Works Ti parts everywhere, and the Carbon Fiber Rock Shox (just before the Judy was released). This was obviously a LOOONG time ago, and because of the combination of those factors I've not been able to ride nor bothered to ride for more then 10 years now.

Well, today I picked up a well used, mid to late 90's Stumpjumper FS with the A1 aluminum frame and Rock Shox 21R....for just over $100! It's pretty beat, so I've spent a little while cleaning it up and going over it. For the most part, she works fine, though I need new tires and I had to buy a front skewer since I was forced to CUT OFF the stock one (broken and jammed).

Anywho, sad story part over, I'm thinking I was to do a couple upgrades just to spice up this bike. Sure it's missing all the modern tech of the newer bikes, but for $150 plus whatever I upgrade...I think she'll be a good ride!

So I'm thinking about starting with the front shock. I want lighter and faster. I'm thinking good, solid light weight cranks as well.

Suggestions for inexpensive upgrades in those two departments? Anything else I should look into or consider upgrading?

My basic riding style is going to be urban and cross country till I can build up the strength in my knees again, and I need to lose a lot weight!

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had an 1999 S-works SJ that came with an Manatou Carbon fork which I removed to upgrade to a Fox RCL(pricy). But if you want the manatou Carbon you can have it for free. IT was a good fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a 98 Stumpjumper FS hardtail, and I put a ROck Shox Pyslo on it with the U-turn

that way I can crank it down to 80 MM ( which is what the frame was designed for ) when doing long XC , Lock it out when on the road , and when riding rough stuff I can add more travel by dialing it up. I find I don't usually put it above 100mm most of the time. and you usually can pick them up pretty cheap off of ebay
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks guys. dfrank, PM sent.

Any suggestions on cranks? I like stiff, lightweight cranks. But it's been (literally) years since I've bought or rebuilt cranks. I have no idea what's good.