z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Shimano XT brake adaptor help.

Do They make a front brake adaptor for the Shimano XT brakes so you can run a 185mm front rotor?. My front forks are Rock Shok Recon. Is it possible to run the 185mm Avid rotor with the XT brakes caliper?.

1:18
    Yes - get the IS-PM 185 mm adaptor. I think Shimano doesn't make it, but the one from Avid, Hayes, etc. will fit.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Shimano makes a 180mm adapter only, not 185mm... however as Corvette said you can use the Avid adapter (I am assuming you have the current XTs 760, not the IS-only 755s)

I have use exactly on a Revelation (same lowers as the Recon) without issue...

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Shimano makes a 180mm adapter only, not 185mm... however as Corvette said you can use the Avid adapter (I am assuming you have the current XTs 760, not the IS-only 755s)

I have use exactly on a Revelation (same lowers as the Recon) without issue...
    If you wind up looking for the 180mm shimano adapter, check out this thread: Front Shimano 180mm rotor -- adapter from IS to post?

I thought Shimano's tolerance between pad/rotor was more finicky than some... and that some people have had trouble running some other rotor brands with Shimano hydros, including Avid (but some work fine, like Magura I'm thinking?). I'd do a careful search of the Brake Time forum. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkdog
    If you wind up looking for the 180mm shimano adapter, check out this thread: Front Shimano 180mm rotor -- adapter from IS to post?

I thought Shimano's tolerance between pad/rotor was more finicky than some... and that some people have had trouble running some other rotor brands with Shimano hydros, including Avid (but some work fine, like Magura I'm thinking?). I'd do a careful search of the Brake Time forum. Good luck.
    In case you want the corresponding part number for the rear it's SM-MA-R180P/S

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the help. I ended up with the Avid adapter. It works great.

Glad it worked out...

It looks great!

mtbr member

nice fit

It looks good on you bike.