Rob Munro

Shimano M505 Pedal opinions

I've been struggling with my Shimano PD-M505s. I've taken a few very hard spills off major obstacles due to an inability to unclip. After reading the reviews of the similar M515 (no reviews on the 505) it seems my struggles may not be entirely due to incompetence. In fact, some of the reviews claim the 515 is actually dangerous.

Until now I've assumed I just needed more practice. Have any of you swapped out your stock M505s for a different pedal and seen a real difference?

Gravity Rides Everything
    Time, Speedplay and Crank bros pedals are much better. Better engagement and disengagement in the mud, plus lots of knee saving float.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Munro
    I've been struggling with my Shimano PD-M505s. I've taken a few very hard spills off major obstacles due to an inability to unclip. After reading the reviews of the similar M515 (no reviews on the 505) it seems my struggles may not be entirely due to incompetence. In fact, some of the reviews claim the 515 is actually dangerous.

Until now I've assumed I just needed more practice. Have any of you swapped out your stock M505s for a different pedal and seen a real difference?
    My bike came with the 515's, they do suck. I got a pair of 540's (the 939's little brother) on Ebay for 75 bucks, they work really well.

Jim D.
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Munro

I just about killed myself several times on my 515s. My GF's bike came with 520s she wasn't using. I swapped them and have never gone back. The 515s are now on the road bike and do fine there.

The 515s made the jump to clipless diffcult for me. I had many people saying how great clipless is, but after riding them I though people were nuts.

I hear good things about the 540s, but the 520s have been great and don't cost asmuch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".