mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Setting SAG Questions - instructions not clear - (Epic 29er Comp_)

I've read these instructions.

I'm clear on what to do in terms of getting on and of the bike and measuring how far the O-ring travels when I sit on the bike.

I'm pretty intelligent - but I just can't seem to make sense of the columns on the chart "SAG settings guidelines
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...rod/index.html

I followed a link from the Speci site to this article on how to set SAG.

Firstly - SAG I take it is the amount the shock gives with you just sitting on the bike.

What is Eye-to-Eye (2nd Column)?

What is Shock Travel (3rd Column)?

What is SAG Measurement - I can tell there are two percentages, one is 25% of Shock Travel figure and the other is 30% of that figure.

For example, the Epic 29er has an Eye to Eye of 185mm, then Shock Travel of 43mm and so I take it I set SAG to be either 10.75mm or 12.9mm?? But what are all these figures and when do you obtain them?

EDIT:

I've done some more searching and found this video
    http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Set...n-Sag-66769207

I take it that Eye to Eye is fixed and I don't really need to measure it. It is given to me.
    I was getting confused with the shock being advertised as having 100mm of travel, but then this figure of 43mm shock travel was thrown in - I take it the 100mm of travel refers to travel at the rear wheel itself - and the 43mm of travel is actually how much travel occurs at the shock itself, so this particular shock as a shock to wheel ratio 43:100, a little bit greater then 2:1 (wheel to shock).
    So now it's just a matter of sitting on and ensuring that my SAG is between 25% and 30% which will depend on how fat I am -

What is the difference between 25% and 30% - in terms of what end would what sort of rider gravitate towards?
    Last edited by Bushranger; 11-20-2009 at 02:31 AM.

Ride Like the Wind
    Did your epic come with a sag meter,a little black peice of plastic that almost looks like a scratch game scratcher?It has a cutout that's big enough to allow it to sit flat over the o ring along the shock shaft and butted up to the shock canister to measure the distance the o ring travels on the shock shaft for sag.If you got that,then there is nothing to worry about,just use that to set your sag.
    The 25% to 30% is the amount of setting you end up being able use as adjustebility,it's not ALOT,although you can set your sag at either or inbetween to achieve a slighty different stiffness or cush into your sag setting.It comes from the amount of naturally occuring slack that is left over from the shock and linkage design and not built into the shock and linkage.

I take it that Eye to Eye is fixed and I don't really need to measure it. It is given to me.
    I was getting confused with the shock being advertised as having 100mm of travel, but then this figure of 43mm shock travel was thrown in - I take it the 100mm of travel refers to travel at the rear wheel itself - and the 43mm of travel is actually how much travel occurs at the shock itself, so this particular shock as a shock to wheel ratio 43:100, a little bit greater then 2:1 (wheel to shock).
    So now it's just a matter of sitting on and ensuring that my SAG is between 25% and 30% which will depend on how fat I am -
    Sounds like you understand what is going on here,you just needed to confirm what to pay attention to and what not to pay attention to in regaurds to setting sag.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Take a look at the specialized set up videos. Has some details about setting up the Epic. You'll see a range of videos - including Epic specific.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/micros.../main.html?x=y

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steve32300
    Did your epic come with a sag meter,a little black peice of plastic that almost looks like a scratch game scratcher?It has a cutout that's big enough to allow it to sit flat over the o ring along the shock shaft and butted up to the shock canister to measure the distance the o ring travels on the shock shaft for sag.If you got that,then there is nothing to worry about,just use that to set your sag.
    The 25% to 30% is the amount of setting you end up being able use as adjustebility,it's not ALOT,although you can set your sag at either or inbetween to achieve a slighty different stiffness or cush into your sag setting.It comes from the amount of naturally occuring slack that is left over from the shock and linkage design and not built into the shock and linkage.

Sounds like you understand what is going on here,you just needed to confirm what to pay attention to and what not to pay attention to in regaurds to setting sag.
    I haven't got the bike yet, just doing some pre-reading as I want to set it up correctly, treat it well etc so it performs best and lasts.

Thanks for the info folks.