22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Setback (Offset)

15 68.18%
  • Straight

7 31.82%
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Setback (offset) or straight on a Stumpy

I know it is personal preference but wanted to see if people riding the 2007 style Stumpy Frames (2004 and up I suppose as well) are using a setback or straight seat post.

Religion = Non-thinking
    can people with 2010 rockhoppers vote too? i'm using a straight now but upgrading to a carbon setback (didn't vote in poll)
    RH SL Pro

Ride Like the Wind
    I ride the 2007 sumpy frame(XL) style,although even at 6'2" my legs are shorter in relevance to my torso and arm length and actually dont use all the seat rail adjustment towards the back when I plumb bob my knee joint to the axis of my pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Once you get your seat height correct and your knee correctly over the pedal axial then itís just a matter of whether you have a lot of seat rail hanging off the back of the seat clamp or not. If you do have a lot of rail hanging off the back, then get a set back post to reduce the chance of breaking your seat rails. There can be a big difference between saddle manufacturers on the bias for and aft on seat rail placement so the poll is not that useful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thomson setback.

mtbr member
    What are the advantages of a set back? I've never messed with mine, just ridden it like it was set up and haven't had any problems.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've had both straight and setback post on my 07 stumpy. I prefer the setback because i like the flexibility of adjusting the seat position (forward and back) especially now that changed to a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    What are the advantages of a set back? I've never messed with mine, just ridden it like it was set up and haven't had any problems.
    It's not for performance advange, it's to set up the cockpit correctly. Just as steveccnv says above. Most seatposts incorporate some sort of set back at the seat rail clamp in their design, but Thomson does not (the seat rail clamps are directly above the center of the post). Therefore, Thomson sells the set back post to accomodate those that need some setback to get the right cockpit position.