mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Smile Set up Brain front and rear

Hi
    i wonder how to set up the brain front and rear, for hard packed,rocky, loose,muddy the 10km loop here is a mix of rock,mud,hard packed soil etc.
    so some tips on how to set up the brain for that kind of riding and also winter riding

mtbr member
    Hard to say you are going from loose to hard pack so maybe middle on the compression setting. Probably more on the firm side though.

Your's has a brain for the front?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yeah itīs an epic carbon expert
    my first ever FS carbon bike and with brain in front and rear too

the trails here in Sundsvall Sweden are hardpack som part is on rock then some roots some mud/wet places and back on harder surface so it is very rocky terrain iīm riding in many of the tracks are bumpy due to small rcoks (not loose)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For me, Brain setup comes down to how much climbing one does. For climbing, I set the shock Brain at full firm, or one click from there. I set the fork Brain one or two clicks from full firm, depending on how much standing I think I might do. Normally, I don't stop to adjust the shock Brain, but I sometimes use the top of the fork control to soften up the Brain for a long descent. Some of my friends don't like the fork softened for descending, but I can's see any disadvantage to doing it.
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well from my home i have about 1-2km steep climb then it gets less steep still climb so all in all i guess i climb about 6km on hardpack some loose.
    From work i climb about 6-8km on asphalt in the woods thew climbing continues but then on various surface and some nice fast descents too so it is a various surfaces i ride on

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As a general rule, the harder the surface, the firmer you want the Brains, especially for climbing. Go out on a paved climb and test it out for yourself. At full firm, you shouldn't feel any suspension bob at all. Softening the Brains click by click will give you a good idea as to how that influences climbing efficiency.

The advantage from softening the Brains is better small bump sensitivity. One could argue that a softer Brain setting would work better on a climb with lots of tricky sections where it is difficult to get grip. I have not found that to be true, for the same reason that I find a hardtail still climbs better than any FSR bike just about anywhere. I don't currently own a HT because I don't enjoy going fast downhill on one, but for pure climbing, it's hard to beat.

An Epic with the Brains on full firm comes as close as any FSR bike to a HT when climbing.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok thx
    well i had a HT the Carve pro but then hell broke loose and i broke my back in a accident where a car hit me so according to the doctor i met last time he said i need a FS and a back protector so i found the EVOC backpack to be the best solution.
    otherwise i could have gone for a new HT since HT is the only type i have ridden mostly

well thx for tips on the brains

Bad cat!
    All I have is rear brain, but when the back heals up a bit and you get to riding it, set it firm (full or one click off) and check your travel (the o-ring) when you get home. If you're not getting much travel on your normal ride, back it off another click and repeat until you're getting full or near full travel out of it but it doesn't bob easily when you're climbing. For me it's one click off of full brain, but I run it a little softer than the auto-sag.

You can get a feel for it just by leaning your weight on the saddle and bouncing the rear a bit while you watch the shock work and play with the rear settings. Perhaps at a certain point it will "look right" to you...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok thx for the tips i finally tried it out not cycling but i sat on it and the frame size was just right it is size L felt really good and made me wanna take it for a spin but that has to wait a few months

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Actually, the Brain setting doesn't have anything to do with shock or fork travel. Travel is a function of pressure, and having the correct psi setting is what is important. The Brains open on large hits even on full firm, allowing the shock and fork to utilize all of their travel. That is the beauty of the system.

I normally use the same psi on a day to day basis, and I normally use 90-100% of travel, depending on how hard and where I ride. If I want to firm things up a bit for some long climbs, I increase shock pressure by 5 psi. At this setting, I will rarely use more than 90% of full travel.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    how does the brain system work on winter roads?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well hereīs the bike as i wanted it to be modified also with the bike came a box of goodies with a FSR manual and Brain manual

itīs equipped with a SW Endura low rise bar XTR shifters ergonomic/BG grips guess thatīs it iīm so happy for it now only need to get in shape for riding it.