mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Set on Rockhopper, but which option?

Hey guys, I am new to MTB, so please bear with my noobness.

I am looking for my first bike, and I looked around and finally locked down the Rockhopper 07. The problem is, there are several different versions with different setups. I am new to different components, so I need your help here.

Which one out of basic, disc, comp, comp disc, pro disc, set the best price/performance ratio? I was told by my LBS that I should get a 17in frame, should that affect which version I should get?

If I go with cheaper config. and upgrade some of the components, would that be a good idea on this bike? How good is this frame for future upgrades?

I would say the max I can afford now should be $800. (Accessories can come later)

Thank you for your help,
    Peter

mtbr member
    Pete,
    If you can save a few more bucks you should get the PRO because of the M4 frame rather than the A1 Aluminum. The M4 Aluminum is just a better frame to build on down the road. Hydro Avid Juicy 3 brakes are better than the cable Avid BB5's. If I were you, I'd also ask to switch the rear der., shifter setup to SRAM X7 components. They are nicer than LX, Deore and shift allot better. Your LBS may swap those out for you for nothing or a few bucks if thay are cool. I bet you could find a LBS that would sell you a PRO for $900-950 or so this time of year.
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

mtbr member
    Personaly, I would go with the comp disc model, not the pro. Hydros are a little much for a beg. bike (and no history!), and the avids are way better than the shimanos on the base disc model. And aluminum wise, it doesn't matter. The 3000$ enduro eldogo has comes with A1. It doesn't matter... Just a visual thing. You wouln't know the dif. I saw myself upgrading bikes after my first bike, not upgrading parts. Otherwise, you will never experience anything else, and possibly limit yourself. If the only computer you bought was a dell, you would never know the wonderful possibilities on a mac. See what Im saying? my .02

mtbr member
    I rode a 2005 Rockhopper comp disc until this month. It is a great bike, now my sons. I did upgrade my brakes to BB7s, the BB5s were not very good.
    Looking at the 2007 models I would have to agree with eldogo. The Pro is a much better value & the Mango color is really cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I have a rockhopper comp disc and i like it alot. its really a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus
    I rode a 2005 Rockhopper comp disc until this month. It is a great bike, now my sons. I did upgrade my brakes to BB7s, the BB5s were not very good.
    Looking at the 2007 models I would have to agree with eldogo. The Pro is a much better value & the Mango color is really cool.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    That color looks way better in your picture than specialized's...