Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875

    septune question

    Hello there!
    I am thinking to buy a stumpy FSR S Works frame, but I read a few pretty bad opinions about the septune rear shock. Pls, tell me, is it really that bad?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Hello there!
    I am thinking to buy a stumpy FSR S Works frame, but I read a few pretty bad opinions about the septune rear shock. Pls, tell me, is it really that bad?
    Thanks
    I do not think it is that bad. I only use 3 of the 7 positions because I do not have the feel to tell the difference between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, etc.

    I guess a lock out would be nice but I am not going to spend the money to change mine on my Stumpy 120 Pro.

    I think you are going to love the S Works frame.

  3. #3
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo
    I do not think it is that bad. I only use 3 of the 7 positions because I do not have the feel to tell the difference between 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, etc.

    I guess a lock out would be nice but I am not going to spend the money to change mine on my Stumpy 120 Pro.

    I think you are going to love the S Works frame.

    So , you are going to change yours? For a triad?

  4. #4
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,329
    I have the Sworks frame as well, the Septune is fine. I only use full propedal (7) or the dead zone (no propedal). No reliability issues at all. I agree, you will love the sworks frame. It is very light.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plussa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270

    Good job!

    I like the Septune. I use three different propedal levels all the time, 1, 3-4 and 7 and also the dead zone (no propedal).

    The 7 is good for roads, uphills and other smooth terrain. No noticable bob and the rear will still feel plush if a bigger impacts comes ahead. A total lockout would be worse because I wouldn't remember to switch it off when things get rough. This happened too often with my previous bike. It's not fun to notice you forgot to open the lockout when you're going 30mph halfway down a rocky hill you spent half an hour climbing up...
    In rock gardens the 7 feels too stiff.

    The less firmer setting are good for general use. They allow more bob and give better small-bump sensitivity but still feel more efficient when compared to dead zone. Keeping the propedal even in the 1 setting instead of dead zone makes a difference, and I've found it a way to help keeping the bb lifted up a little bit to minimize pedal smack.

    The dead zone is great for descending. It's the same as the "open" setting in triad.

    Going back to a shock with only one propedal level would be a downgrade for me. The triad has only like "lock-7-open" instead of "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-open" Buying a bike with 120mm rear travel just to get it locked seems weird for me...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    So , you are going to change yours? For a triad?
    No. "I guess a lock out would be nice but I am not going to spend the money to change mine on my Stumpy 120 Pro."

  7. #7
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo
    No. "I guess a lock out would be nice but I am not going to spend the money to change mine on my Stumpy 120 Pro."

    Sorry, it looks like I cant read....
    Thanks for your answers guys! I am a bit confused also about what kind of front susp to buy for the frame. I know it comes with the Fox Talas RLC originally, but that is a bit pricey, I think.
    What about other forks?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Sorry, it looks like I cant read....
    Thanks for your answers guys! I am a bit confused also about what kind of front susp to buy for the frame. I know it comes with the Fox Talas RLC originally, but that is a bit pricey, I think.
    What about other forks?
    I have the Pace rc421xcam, very plush very light.

  9. #9
    I ride a Swarf
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    I have the Pace rc421xcam, very plush very light.
    me 2 and I concur. They arn't available in the US though as far as I am aware. EDIT I see u aren't in the US. Just check www.pace-racing.co.uk, they don't have a importer in hungary.as far as i can see.

    I use no propedal, middle or full propedal generally as required. The septune seems fine to me.

    Stu
    Last edited by Stuart B; 09-12-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  10. #10
    Slovakia (Europe)
    Reputation: PeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    438

    Pace RC41 XCAM

    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    I have the Pace rc421xcam, very plush very light.
    Is Pace RC41 XCAM stiff enough? What are your experience? I've used Pace RC36 EVO3 on my S-Works Epic for few years, but it is not very stiff. That cause sometimes steer problems (especially on rocky trails full of loose stones). I am thinking about SJ 06 or Liteville frameset + Pace RC41.

    Peter

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Is Pace RC41 XCAM stiff enough? What are your experience? I've used Pace RC36 EVO3 on my S-Works Epic for few years, but it is not very stiff. That cause sometimes steer problems (especially on rocky trails full of loose stones). I am thinking about SJ 06 or Liteville frameset + Pace RC41.

    Peter
    The Pace RC41 xcam seams fine to me,, i have riden some well stiff forks. my last set were Marz z150frsl with 20 mm axle,,the pace are no where near as stiff as those but they are nearly half the weight ...i would say they are about the same as a pair of Manitou blacks, in the stiff dept.

  12. #12
    I ride a Swarf
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Is Pace RC41 XCAM stiff enough? What are your experience? I've used Pace RC36 EVO3 on my S-Works Epic for few years, but it is not very stiff. That cause sometimes steer problems (especially on rocky trails full of loose stones). I am thinking about SJ 06 or Liteville frameset + Pace RC41.

    Peter
    I have just come from a set of rc36 pro class II, and they are considereably stiffer than those.

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  13. #13
    Slovakia (Europe)
    Reputation: PeterG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    438
    Thanks.

    Peter

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829
    can you push the septune??

  15. #15
    otbmbc.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    can you push the septune??
    According to pushindustries.com (their website) they do service the septune.

  16. #16
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    and what about the Vanilla for the stumpy? It's only a few grams heavier than the Float, but much cheaper... and it has a coil spring. Do you think it's a good match with the Septune?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plussa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270
    Replacing the Septune with a a cheap coil shock sounds stupid for me... Maybe you should give the Septune a try first. It's a great shock but unfortunately misunderstood by many...

  18. #18
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa
    Replacing the Septune with a a cheap coil shock sounds stupid for me... Maybe you should give the Septune a try first. It's a great shock but unfortunately misunderstood by many...
    Sorry, I meant the Vanilla Fork. The Septune looks fine for me now, you guys already convinced me, I think seven position is a bit too much, thats all. I was wondering what kind of fork I will put on the bike, and a guy in my LBS offered me to have a think of the Vanilla...What do you think?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plussa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270
    Ok, you meant the fork... Vanilla should be ok, but I think the adjustability of the TALAS will match the adjustability of the Septune much better. I use 90 and 120mm settings all the time, probably more than the 130mm setting.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    100

    i agree w/ plussa

    the flexibility of the talas is superb. wind down to 90 mm for the climbs, keep them at 100 for the smooth stuff and road (locked down) then unwind to 120 for the downhills.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829
    I have to admit that now i have several weeks of riding the stumpy under my belt i love the frame ...i love the Pace rc41 xcam front forkes (deep breath) i aint impressed with the septune...i cant put my finger on it but the ride is not what i expected and i cant seam to get it dialed in ...any one tried manitous on the stumpy??

  22. #22
    searcher
    Reputation: kovi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by mzungo101@yahoo.co.uk
    I have to admit that now i have several weeks of riding the stumpy under my belt i love the frame ...i love the Pace rc41 xcam front forkes (deep breath) i aint impressed with the septune...i cant put my finger on it but the ride is not what i expected and i cant seam to get it dialed in ...any one tried manitous on the stumpy??
    What is your problem with it? Too much bob? There is not one good position out of seven?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    What is your problem with it? Too much bob? There is not one good position out of seven?
    It is either to soft blows through the travel and bottoms out, or to harsh and makes it feel like i am riding a wash board..no happy medium.

  24. #24
    moe.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    367
    Get the fox-it is so worth it. I have an 05 FSR S-Works and the fox is a dream. The adjustment to 80mm that switches back to 120mm on the fly is sweet and you can't beat the feel.


    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Sorry, it looks like I cant read....
    Thanks for your answers guys! I am a bit confused also about what kind of front susp to buy for the frame. I know it comes with the Fox Talas RLC originally, but that is a bit pricey, I think.
    What about other forks?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mzungo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    829

    Apologies Fox

    Quote Originally Posted by mtntrance
    Get the fox-it is so worth it. I have an 05 FSR S-Works and the fox is a dream. The adjustment to 80mm that switches back to 120mm on the fly is sweet and you can't beat the feel.
    OK guy's i was rather Vociferous about my Septune a couple of posts back slamming it to death and Fox ...I now have to eat some humble (stick in the throat) pie.

    I rang "Mojo" in the UK who are fox agents here and discussed the Septune with an engineer there, He told me the Sep Is nothing but an RP3 with extra settings bolted on, i.e. a 7 position switch instead of 3..the valving is identical in every way.

    He gave me advice on setting up the shock which worked for me... i spent 2 hours in the woods riding the same trail again and again changing the setting's by as little as a couple of pounds psi, until eventually I found the sweet spot I had been looking for .

    And now i have to say the shock feel's just fine for me. and the stumpy is now balanced perfectly between the Pace rc41 Xcam forks and the Septune...I found that just 2 pounds of air make a large difference and I had been adjusting pressure by 10 lbs increments completely missing the right spot

    I am now gon’a save my £90.00 and by some XTR goodies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 154
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:49 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:09 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •