mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Septune problem...

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem:

I keep my bike outside (covered with a tarp) and I haven't ridden it for a few days. Today, I plan to take it for a spin and the moment I sit on it my rear shock almost completely compresses. I don't think much it and simply try to put some air back into it. I pump 200psi into it but it only expands to about HALF the usual extension. I release the air and try to pump it up again but again, it only extend to about half the size.

The shock is Fox Septune on a 05 stumpjumper and I was wondering if anyone had something similar happen to their shocks.

Pedro

mtbr member

Not me

I recall reading a similar post a few weeks ago . I don't remember if it was on this board but check here and the shock board. I haven't had a problem with my Septune which is kept in a detached garage. About a week ago I did notice some oil residue on the shock and fork. I will just watch to if it gets worse. As for your issue looks like its time for a repair shock board talk alot abou PUSH for service and rebuilds. PUSH seems to get respect

memorable member

same problem

My septune compressed 2 days into my 10 day mountain vacation. It only backs out half way and is not possible to ride with the shock because of the decrease in already low BB height. Not to mention the ride feel sucks.

I had no choice but to purchase a RP3($400) from the LBS if wanted to continue to ride on my vacation. Since I had dropped boocoo dinero(sp?)on the S-works 120 i figured the Lbs would work it out with Spec or fox due to the circumstances. I was wrong. The Lbs told me that thet would send it to fox for warranty but other than that I was SOL.

The ride I am now getting from the RP3 is much improved over the septune. Its a much better bike now. The 3 propedal settings work excellently. You feel it immediately when you switch. Also the Rp3 doesen't take as much air pressure for the correct sag and the ride doesen't feel as spongy.

I've read several septune related threads and I know that lots of Spec customers have had similar problems. Its also very telling that the septune is now a thing of the past. In short we got screwed on this one. In a perfect world Spec would give fox an ultimatum repalce all septunes with rp3s or well use a different shock co.

Oh well, anybody want to buy a rebuilt septune?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the comments.

I have poked around a little more on the internet and found out that my negative chamber was over inflated. I tried pumping it back up to 250psi but that didn't solve the problem. Then, I simply removed the outer can and that resulted in fixing the pressure in the negative chamber.

After that, the shock seems fine.

Mashochist, I wish I had an RP3, too, but I guess I am not willing to spend $400 on it yet. Btw, how much are you selling that rebuild Septune?

Pedro

Nothing here
    your shock got stuck down which is very common. my buddy got a yeti which came with a rp3 and got stuck down. they sent him another rp3 and that one got stuck down as well. get the septune pushed, that's what i did and it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had the same problem, it's the seal that are worned out.
    I send it to FOX thinking it was under waranty but it was not. Seals are only waranty 90 days.
    That's the seal you CAN change yourself BTW.

Dismantling the body will help resolving your problem, but that's temporary.
    For me since the bike is store in the house, as soon as I get out for riding under cold temperature the seals contract enought to let air move for positive air chamber to negative air chamber. So I had no choice to change the seals. Unfortunalty I didn't know at that time that I could do it myself.

Ciao!

Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

I PUSHED if after stuck down

My septune did the same thing after riding it for about a year. Happened on the first really cold day of the year. I sent mine to PUSH for service and have been happy with it since. Great improvement in the overall performance. I can run much lower air pressure now than before and still maintain great platform and better control. If you want to go one better than replacing the seal and not buy a new shock get it PUSH'ed for $150.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How much for that rebuilt septune?

are you still selling it?

Quote Originally Posted by mashochist
    My septune compressed 2 days into my 10 day mountain vacation. It only backs out half way and is not possible to ride with the shock because of the decrease in already low BB height. Not to mention the ride feel sucks.

I had no choice but to purchase a RP3($400) from the LBS if wanted to continue to ride on my vacation. Since I had dropped boocoo dinero(sp?)on the S-works 120 i figured the Lbs would work it out with Spec or fox due to the circumstances. I was wrong. The Lbs told me that thet would send it to fox for warranty but other than that I was SOL.

The ride I am now getting from the RP3 is much improved over the septune. Its a much better bike now. The 3 propedal settings work excellently. You feel it immediately when you switch. Also the Rp3 doesen't take as much air pressure for the correct sag and the ride doesen't feel as spongy.

I've read several septune related threads and I know that lots of Spec customers have had similar problems. Its also very telling that the septune is now a thing of the past. In short we got screwed on this one. In a perfect world Spec would give fox an ultimatum repalce all septunes with rp3s or well use a different shock co.

Gravity Rides Everything
    fyi- fox rates the air sleeves to last 40 hours in dry conditions or 8 hours in wet. I generally get almost 100 out of them.

it's a cheap part, and it's easy to replace.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by mashochist

not to make you feel worse, but a new air sleeve in the septune would most likely have solved your problem.

if the piston seal begins to leak, air can go across to the negative side and suck the shock in, like you described.

fyi- i recently had my septune Push'd. VAST improvement. didn't bottom out as easy, better platform, smoother. I'd have kept it stock actually (given the high cost of push rebuild) but the damn pro pedal blew out after about 800 miles.