Goathead Gladiator

self servicing BB on 04 stumpy 7050 strongarm

OK I got the arms off (not easy, both 8mm hex bolts in the center of the crankarms came off anti-clockwise, and required major reefing!) now what? I have all the tools including a cheapo crank remover but it doesn't seem to do anything useful - nothing to push against because in the middle of the BB is hollow.
    Maybe a better question is do I even need to service it? It looks good and greasy in the follow part. I'm halfway there though and want to get it done and be ready to ride in the morning.

Any advice appreciated, except if the advice is to take it to a shop I ride too much to have my bike gone for 6 days for a 1 hour job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay, first off there are no user serviceable....

parts in your bottom bracket. The bearings are permanently sealed and are not rebuildable. As long as there is no play in the BB there is no need to do anything to it. It is recommended that once a year or so you pull the bb and clean out the housing as dirt does get in there, or if you submerge it in water it is recommended that you dry it out in there. Other than replacement or cleaning out the housing, there is really no reason to remove the bb. The reason that you can't get your crank arm puller to work is you have the wrong one! There are two types, one type has a small knob that is designed for the old square taper spindles and the old style shimano splined bottom brackets. The newer ISIS and Shimano splined BBs have a bigger hollow in the middle and require a larger knob on the end of the puller to press against the spindles. The older design puller just pushes down into the hole in the spindle as you have discovered. I don't know what brand of puller you have, but I do know that Park tools has two different models. The old style with is designated CCP2 and only works with the old style bb spindles, and the CCP4 which will work with both the old and new style. Just haul out your torque wrench and put the bolts back in and torque em down to between 305 and 435 lb/in. and go ride. It won't hurt anything. Then once you get the proper crank arm puller you can pull the arms and BB if you are so inclined. Otherwise just wait till the end of this season to do it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Goathead Gladiator
    update - success.
    Tools: supergo $6 crank BB tool (they were blowing them out) and the supergo $6 crank puller.

Used the supergo $6 crank bb tool ( splined torx socket thingy + 6inch long 8mm hex key) used the long hex key to remove crank bolts. Then started using crank puller but found out it was too small.
    But I realized there was a missing peice, a little 1/4 inch peice of bolt that would thread perfectly into the threads of the inner BB. Threaded that in, then I could use the tool to push on that and wind the cranks off.
    Then used the big splined torx thingy to remove the BB (drive side came off clockwise, non-drive side came off anti-clockwise) and took it out, cleaned everything, through some park grease on there (hope that's ok) and put the BB back in. Then scratched my head for putting the cranks back on (tried a light hand with a mallet) before realizing the crank bolts would pull the cranks back on. So there - done. And now I know I have a shimano BB E30 in there (not the lightest one, but the E51 is not much lighter)
    End of story.

Goathead Gladiator
    OK all that and I forgot to write down the BB size it's either 68 x 113 or 68 x 118 anyone know for sure, or do I have to go rip it out again? Help, post soon if you know - I want to order a lighter FSA platinum one to save 1/4 pound.