mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Seatpost slipping

I have a fsr stump 120 o5 s-works with a thomson post. The stock seat clamp is weak. Anybody else have a problem?

mtbr member
    That came with the Specialized quick-release collar, right? You should be able to tighten that thing down as much (or more) as you could want using a 5mm hex wrench, using the hole on the side opposite the lever. Or is that not working?

Quote Originally Posted by Blahla
    I have a fsr stump 120 o5 s-works with a thomson post. The stock seat clamp is weak. Anybody else have a problem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Yes

I cranked it so hard I was worried the frame might bend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahla
    I cranked it so hard I was worried the frame might bend.
    hmmm, then I don't know. I long ago moved away from q/r seatpost clamps on my old frame, but my new Epic came with one, so I decided to give it another chance, and have not had any problems so far.

mtbr member

Seatpost Slippage

Blahla, Hope and Salsa make excellent seat clamps. Check and make sure the post or tube is not over greased. I had a post that would not sit stil on a Prophet- It turned out that it (the post) was heavily greased and wet-dried it off and re-greased and slapped a Hope QR on and never had another problem. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Coincidentally, on my most recent ride I slid out in some mud and when I got up, my saddle was pointing a different direction! I suspect I may have had too much grease on the post, and I don't know my new bike well enough to know how tight it should really be; I can't say it was the collar's fault. But more importantly, my favorite baggie shorts were catching on the end of the q/r lever in some situations. Can't have that ... so, I'm going back to a non-q/r collar.