mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Seatpost/Saddle combo on 07 SJ?

I have an 07 SJ FSR. The more I ride it the more I feel like I am riding on the back end of the saddle. I would also like to feel a bit more stretched out. I have raised the seatpost as high as feels comfortable and I have pushed the saddle as far back along its rails as possible, but I still would like the seat a bit further back.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about a Thomson setback stem. Would this get the saddle a bit further back? Are there any saddles that have longer rails than the rails on the BG Rival Specialized saddle?

Thanks

mtbr member

Thomson

The Thomson setback has the same amount that your Spec post has. They just put a bend in the post. They are still both 16mm of setback. Just pay attention tho where the clamps are on the Spec and the Thomson. Try going with a little longer stem.
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New Stem? New Seatpost?

I'm going to try out a 120 length stem tommarrow. The original stem that came on my SJ is a 105 length with a 8 degree rise. If I like the feel of the longer stem I'll look to buy a new stem. My limited knowledge tells me that Thomson makes the best stems. Is this correct?

I might get a Thomson stem in the 120 length and a 10 degree rise. I wonder if there will be a noticible difference with the 2 degree rise difference?

Also, I didn't understand the answer in the previous post about the seatposts. The specialized seatpost is straight and the thomson setback post is bent back. Doesn't this allow you to get the saddle positioned further back?

Thanks for all your expertise.

mtbr member

Good job! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Harris
    I'm going to try out a 120 length stem tommarrow. The original stem that came on my SJ is a 105 length with a 8 degree rise. If I like the feel of the longer stem I'll look to buy a new stem. My limited knowledge tells me that Thomson makes the best stems. Is this correct?

I might get a Thomson stem in the 120 length and a 10 degree rise. I wonder if there will be a noticible difference with the 2 degree rise difference?

Also, I didn't understand the answer in the previous post about the seatposts. The specialized seatpost is straight and the thomson setback post is bent back. Doesn't this allow you to get the saddle positioned further back? NO

Thanks for all your expertise.

The seat clamp on the Specialized is behind center.
    http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...HT_Sat_Blk.jpg
    The Thomson is on top of post on the center.
    http://www.lhthomson.com/gallery/esb1_1280.jpg
    The way Thomson gets their offset is by offsetting the post rather than the clamp. Trust me. Although Thomson is a stronger post.
    Get a X4 stem, they are the best I've ever ridden. I have a Thomson on all my bikes.
    Just a lowly bike mechanic.

Specialized Enduro Expert w/ Double Barrel
    Specialized Gangster
    Curtlo Advanced Mountaineer