Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Seat turning

503 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lumbee1 
#1 ·
Recently the seat on my '06 Stumpjumper FSR Comp has started rotating. I took the seat post out and checked it out a bit and it's a tad unconventional as to how it seems to go together. There's a bolt head with holes through it that I can tighten and loosen with an awl that is pretty inconveniently located.

Ok anyway, the seat is twisting at the very top of the seat post. It seems odd to have a post with moveable parts in that location with no obvious way to tighten it up.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Ok so I took it all apart this afternoon and the seat post itself is actually 2 pieces, the top piece machined onto the post. I can't imagine why this would be machined separately like this if you're not going to be able to tighten it. So basically I either need to keep twisting it in the hopes that it will tighten up at some point, or I need to buy a new seat post. Seems kind of absurd to me. Am I missing something here?

#4 ·
The seatpost design is not the best.
Tighten the allen nut in the rear.
Check position and feel.
Loosen nut.
Twist hex nut under the seat up or down.
Tighten the allen nut in the rear.
Check position and feel.
Loosen nut.
Twist hex nut under the seat up or down.
Eventually it comes out right. When it does, do not touch the hex nut up front again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.