mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seat post tube concern on a $3800 bike

Not really looking for a fix, but just concerned. I just got me a beautiful 06 SJ FSR Pro from craigslist and recently got it all put together. Been out riding a few times because for some reason we r having great weather in Michigan. I then realize that my seat post does not stay put. I ride a half mile and it has slipped down. I do search around and found some things to look for. What I found is that my post w/ seat will just fall thru the seat tube w/ the clamp loose.
    I have a 30.9 Thompson set-back that came w/ the bike. This is the Specialized size. Why is this? It is a 3800$ bike(new). I am cool though because I cut up a beer can and made a shim. Still though! Why would I need a shim? Still I love the bike and feel like a king. I guess I am just looking for feedback. Have a good one?

Eric

The Other Dude
    maybe try some carbon assembly compound around the post? That would be my first try at a remedy.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not trying to be a smart ass but this worked for me. I noticed that I had to crank mine on there so hard that it hurt my hand UNTIL I turned the clamp around. If I had the bolt part of the clamp over the notch in the frame I got much better grip and was able to not kill my hand. Hopefully that will work for you.
    Last edited by backsattack; 03-27-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The bike is 6 years old... there's probably been some wear at the seatpost/seattube?

Its a $1000 bike now, they don't stay new forever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update. Beer can shim is still working perfectly. It was a great idea and I have plenty of them if I need another..hehe

mtbr member
    Have you got the clamp on the right way round.
    The split in the clamp should line up with the split in the seattube, and it should require about the same force as your wheel QR's to close.
    Use carbon paste as well if you can as this increases the grip.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Carbon paste, get rid of the quick release and use a dedicated bolt, torqued to spec. Also add some grease to threads of the bolt to seat clamp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by backsattack View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ass but this worked for me. I noticed that I had to crank mine on there so hard that it hurt my hand UNTIL I turned the clamp around. If I had the bolt part of the clamp over the notch in the frame I got much better grip and was able to not kill my hand. Hopefully that will work for you.
    That would make sense. With the clamp split on the opposite side to the seat tube split, you are fighting the friction of the seat tube inside the clamp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do u really think I can get tight enough knowing I have enough space for a shim? I will give it all a try but beer can seems to work great.