Enthusiast

Saw the new 29ers in the flesh

Friday I finally got a chance to see the new, Stumpy 29er FSR in-the-flesh (er, in-the-aluminum :-)). I took it out for a short spin around the block a couple of times, and went up and down some curbs with it. The bike seems to ride quite nicely, and the brain suspension reacted so quickly that I never felt it switching on and off. I wouldn't mind having the bike, that's for sure. I'd love to have the opportunity to take one out on dirt.

But to just stand there and look at the bike, it doesn't "look" like something that ought to cost almost $4000. My Enduro SL has that wicked-cool-looking fork and other features that make it a bit easier to explain to non-bikers (e.g. my wife!) why I spent so much on it. The 29er FSR looks pretty plain by comparison. Heck, the fork has only one adjustment, for lockout, and that's it. I would have an awful time explaining the cost of that bike to my wife.

I still wouldn't mind having one .

The other bike I saw was the 29er Stumpy hardtail. It was in way too large a size for me, so I didn't bother to ride it. The blue paint job was darker than I'd been expecting. I'm not really in the market for a hardtail anyway.

I'm not sure there's a point to this post other than to share how much fun it is to finally see the new 2008 models trickling into my LBS. It's fun just to stop in and look at what's new.

The Other Dude
    We got a Stumpy hardtail 29er in the shop, and i know what you mean about seeing the new models trickle in......its exciting. We did get an 08 Stumpy FSR in for the demo program, but is a 26er. I have yet to see a 29er FSR yet, and i doubt we will see on in our shop unless someone orders it, because i dont think the owner will just order in a $4000 bike just to have on the floor, but i could be wrong. I rode the hardtail, and it was the first 29er i have ever ridden, it was just a parking lot/though the local park ride, no singletrack, but it seemed really fast, i would really to try the fsr version out.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had a chance to ride the 29er FSR around a parking lot and I was actually most impressed with the Reba, haha. That is a fine fine fork.

mtbr member
    I rode the 29er FSR around the parking lot as well, and was initially impressed with the Reba fork too. Then today, I got to ride a Titus 29er (singlespeed) with the new aftermarket Fox F29 and that felt much more impressive. The owner of the Titus commented on how stiff the F29 was compared to his Reba. Well, so much for the Reba. Then again, I am not a real 29er fan so no loss for me.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Enthusiast
    Ok, here's the irony of it all. My daughter just had her first orthodontist appointment 10 days ago. The total cost of her treatment is just a few hundred more than the Stumpy 29er FSR.

Teeth? Or bike? Oh my.

Teeth win, of course. But I couldn't help but notice the similarity in cost. Perhaps the orthodontist is a mountain-biker.

bikerpilot
    I bought a 29er FSR. It rocks. I've got a thread going on the 29er board about it.

And the Reba has much more than just one adjustment. Positive air, negative air, rebound damping, and a progressive compression adjustment to lockout. Very tuneable. It rode pretty nice on the first outing yesterday, could've been a little stiffer, though.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Stop reading...go ride!!!
    I'm hearing mixed things about when the Stumpy HT 29er will be out...sounds like some folks on here have seen them. Interbike? Are they actually in stores? I've checked the dealer site and their saying not till mid december/janruary. Just curious if some are starting to trickle out and what the consensus is.

bikerpilot
    We've got 29er FSRs and hardtails in our store in TX.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

The Other Dude
    We have one instock at our shop, and we just got 2 rockhopper 29er comp discs in today also.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

evilbanks
    The whole idea of the Big S jumping on the 29er bandwagon is just weird. I understand they want to get their piece of the pie and the demand is growing so it makes sense from a business standpoint but it's still just............weird.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I rode the 29r HT last August in Oregon on a 30 miler down the Willamette R. It was very nimble and fast throughout. Especially over the roots and rocks which are abundant. SRAM drivetrain was ok. Shifters so so. Not much tire clearance at the front derailleur..... Not sure what the deal is with the high retail prices out there. $7000 for the blinged out Epic. Please....I rode it the day before and was not very impressed. $4,000 for the FSR. Not sure that is a good deal either. I would think about the HT though at $1,500. Just needs some wider bars...... 2 cents only.

old and slow
    To those who have ridden the Stumpjumper 29er HT, how does it feel going over bumps? I have been wavering between a full suspension bike or a 29er HT. I've mostly considered steel 29ers like the Salsa El Mariachi, but the Stumpy looks like a nice package. Just wondering how the ride might compare to steel.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

MUTANT

Its a pretty sweet ride

I own a Stumpy 29er and have had it for about a week now. I bought it from Anthony and the other great folks at Absolute Bikes in Flagstaff. It is my first FS bike, but I have to say it is fantastic. It handles really well, with a quick adjustment to the Brain I can climb with no bob whatsoever and then another quick adjustment on the downhill and I am bombing on what feels like a magic carpet...plush! It really gets going fast real quickly.
    It is pricey for sure, but for me it is worth it. I was replacing a 12 year old Team Marin HT, so I moved up to hydraulic disk brakes, FS and 29 inch wheels. It is a lot of change all at once but I am getting used to it. I live and ride in Boulder, Co and so far have had it up to Hall Ranch, Walker Ranch, and local trails near my house. Every ride gets better and better. I just want to put a 2.3 on the front, and that is the only change I see making for a long time. If you can justify the dough, give it a go!

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    The parts kit on the 29er is basically the same build as the Expert level 26" bike, so the price is not too far out of line with the 26" counterpart. Just looks like a big step since they only have the brain version available - no Comp or Elite level bike like the 26" version.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    Just looks like a big step since they only have the brain version available - no Comp or Elite level bike like the 26" version.
    There is the frame-only option, which doesn't seem so badly priced. Buying the frame and transferring parts from my 29er hardtail is the path I've been mulling over. I'd probably have to buy a fork too, to get the geometry right.

Members who have read this thread: 0