mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Sapphire or Camber?

My wife is looking for a new dual suspension MTB. What are the thoughts on the Camber comp, compared against the Sapphire Comp? My wife would require a small frame in a Camber and likes the idea of a 29er. Thoughts from women riders appreciated. Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is assuming you're referring to the 2013 bikes. If she likes the idea of a 29er and doesn't want to go for a 26", that eliminates the Safire to begin with because it's 26" only. On the reverse side of that...the Camber Comp for 2013 is 29er only.

I like the suspension of the Safire a little better and the drive trains on the two are extremely similar, except the Camber comes with a PF30 BB and the Safire has a SRAM GXP. The Safire also has a little more of a slack HT angle compared to the Camber. If it's possible for her to test ride both, that would be ideal. Depending on her body, the women's geometry might fit a little better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozbernie View Post
    My wife is looking for a new dual suspension MTB. What are the thoughts on the Camber comp, compared against the Sapphire Comp? My wife would require a small frame in a Camber and likes the idea of a 29er. Thoughts from women riders appreciated. Cheers
    'She' just left for work so I'll have to stand in for her. When I got a '29 she couldn't keep up on the road sections like before, so the question of going to 29 came up. I got a Camber small for her to try out even tho at 5' 2.5" the stand over was iffy.

Despite weighing about five pounds more than her 26" Santa Cruz, she was now back with me on the smooth hills but what was nice was not having to wait for her on the rougher stuff nearly as much.

I had figured there would be three possible responses; immediate rejection, 'so what am I supposed to notice?', or 'I'm not giving this back!'. As it was, I got 'Why didn't you get me one of these sooner?'. It worked out that she ended up buying a different brand - colour can be critical - but we were definitely shopping for 29" wheels.

As to the standard litany of reasons against 29, the first turn on our usual ride is a tricky switchback and she didn't notice a difference; so much for the learning curve. And stand over is always checked out at the store but rarely actually encountered on the trail until you've stopped to fumble with your gear; more of a newby problem than a real one.

I don't know what the Sapphire weighs, but the Camber Comp is a touch heavy but ruggedly built and could lose weight [along with your wallet] over time. And if Specialized comes out with something better for her it would be an easy trade in/up/over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just got my girlfriend a Camber Comp. She's been on a Myka hard tail. She's 5'5" and we got her a small. It's been zero degrees here for the past week so she hasn't had a chance to try it out other than up and down the street a couple of times, but she says she notices a major difference just in riding over curbs, and up the stairs to our porch and she's really excited to get on the trails. It's supposed to warm up so we'r'e planning on riding this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    My wife, who is pretty solid rider, recently (few months ago) went from a medium 2012 Safire to a small 2013 Stumpy Comp carbon 29'r & is so stoked about the switch that she would never go back. She is 5'-7" just for size reference. She demo'd a Camber & said the ride quality was nowhere near as good as the Stumpy either climbing, descending & all around handling, plus the Stumpy simply rode away from the Safire in every condition. I definitely notice how much more confident of a rider she is since the switch.

mtbr member
    My lady demoed a Safire and really wasn't into the suspension or the women's specific geometry. She then demoed a couple of other Specialized models (26er and 29er) and ended up settling on an Ibis Mojo SLR.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the perspectives folks.