Thread: saddles for MTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm saddles for MTB

Hello i have to get a new saddle for my Epic.
    As i ride longer rides and shorter i need a good saddle.
    i Hear some use a road saddle on a MTB and it seems to work.
    my problem is when i sit a longer time on the saddle i get a pain on the inside of my thighs you know when you sit on the saddle just on the side of the saddle some of your thigh is against the saddle that is where my pain is then my behind is a sack of bones so my seat bones a sore but when i get that pain i ahve to stand up to losen that pressure i get which makes it painful.
    Does anyone know what i mean?

i had a 143 ToupeīRBX earlier i canīt remeber getting this kind of pain as i get from the phenom maybe the phenom isnīt built for me?
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 12-15-2013 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i meant why is the romin better on a mtb than the phenom saddle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really like the Henge. More padding, but lighter than Phenom.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2012 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
    Delta 7 Ascend Road bike with ENVE wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ok yeah i wanna cut some weight on the saddle either a Henge or a romin too bad my original seat post canīt take a Carbon rail saddle as it has a side clamp it canīt take the oversize rails of a romin, phenom,toupeī

Fat-tired Roadie
    I had a hard time reading your post but why not just use a Toupe? Whatever width you used that you liked.

I think the intent of most saddles is mostly just marketing. If it works, why fight it? Not that some of the features on a purpose-built MTB saddle aren't nice, but they're secondary. So I'd certainly look at the mountain version of a road saddle I liked if all they did was add a little abrasion resistant material on the sides, and not screw up the shape or add a bunch of padding.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    my apologies for the fuzzy post

when i sit on the phenom tht came with my Epic carbon expert 2013, i get some pain on the inside of my thighs i did not get as much on my ToupeīRBX unfortunately it is no longer in my posseion adn i do not know which toupeīof 2014 models is the matching one.
    Guess i have to check at work this week so i know which to get and replace the phenom

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I used to like the old Phenom ones in a 142mm with but did not get on with the new models.. Finally found Syncros TR1.0 most comfortable saddle I have ever used

mtbr member

saddles for MTB

Saddles are very personal so it's hard to make recommendations. You just have to try them until you find one that works. You can use the Specialized 30 day saddle trial to try out different models.

I don't like the new style Specialized Phenom saddle at all. I found the one that came with my 2012 Epic a real "ass hatchet". I gave it a month but just couldn't get used to it. Some Specialized saddles are ok for me but not that type. The main issue being numbness (due to the narrow cutout) and sore sitbones as the saddle body is relatively stiff.

What I like about the Romin saddles is the full length centre cutout down the entire saddle and extra saddle flex for comfort. I've been quite pleased with my Romin Evo Expert gel 143mm saddle so far. It's my current favourite.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...evo-expert-gel

What you have to watch out for with the Specialized road saddles is that many of them don't have much padding on. Toupes and non Evo Romin saddles are very firm indeed. The Specialized Avatar Comp Gel is one of the more padded saddles. I have one on my turbo trainer bike. It might be worth a try.

A couple of things to consider with chafing on your current saddle is whether you could move the saddle rearwards on its rails by 1 cm or so. This stretches out your riding position and could pull you forwards slightly on the saddle, so that you're sitting on a narrower part of the saddle towards the saddle nose which would reduce chafing on the inner thighs.

You could also look at lowering the saddle slightly, so that your hips don't rock as much, as this could also cause chafing if you're rocking from side whilst pedalling.

The other thing to consider too is whether you've put on much weight since riding on your previous bike before the accident. It could be a case of needing to keep working on the diet to get back to where you were, so that there's less bodyweight (and therefore pressure) on the saddle and thinner legs that don't rub as much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi WR304
    Thanks for those pointers i shall see to it and push the saddle backwards height should be Ok since i measured it but who knows
    yeah i might have 1-2kgīs more since last ride before the accident but i have a plan that is due January - May and i do hope to get some lighter for no matter how light bike you have it is in the end one self that is the factor between fast or slow

mtbr member

saddles for MTB

If you're trying tweaks to your riding position I'd lower the saddle a little to see how it feels. If you're rocking on the saddle it could help reduce any chafing issues. Make a note of your measured starting position first, so that you can change the saddle height and saddle setback back to the current settings if it doesn't work out.

Using chamois cream and a good pad in your cycling shorts / bib tights can see worthwhile improvements in riding comfort too, especially over longer rides.

mtbr member
    Based on my experience I would say that Specialized saddles comfort went slightly downhill since 2011. My favorite saddle is still my 2011 Henge,wich is a completely different saddle compared to the 2013's model. I've had to browse the web for a 2011 one for my 2013 Stumpjumper. No complaints for the 2012 Phenom,look forward to test the 2014's one on my incoming Epic. Generally speaking I can say that Specialized saddles are on step ahead of their fancier competitors. Tried Prologo,Fizik and Selle Italia but although them costing them 3 times more that any given Specialized saddle comfort was a true issue.
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i Might go or i probably will go for this set up on my Epic making it racier than it is now
    i will likely buy the S-Works seat post the white team Phenom pro 2013
    and i will get the BBB titanium pedals as well 244G for the pair thatīs light and i might go tubeless 2x S-Works fast track/renegade the S-Works ground controls might be bettr grip any weather, but also heavier i will win about 294G all together i think

is there any other ways to get the Epic expert near or under 10KG?
    i do not know itīs start weight out of the box ?

Fat-tired Roadie
    FWIW, my favorite saddle was produced in the late '90s. Just got another on EBay! They're like women's pants. :-P
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

saddles for MTB

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaS-works View Post
    i Might go or i probably will go for this set up on my Epic making it racier than it is now
    i will likely buy the S-Works seat post the white team Phenom pro 2013
    If the shape of your current Specialized Phenom saddle doesn't suit you and causes chafing there's not much point getting the carbon railed version of the exact same saddle. I'd be inclined to try a variety of different saddles to find one with a shape that you prefer instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Perhaps the nose width is too wide on the Phenom for you. The toupe is a little narrower. I would really suggest avoiding the Romin if that is what's bothering you, as they have a VERY wide nose.

I've been really happy with the toupe on MTBs. I've also had good luck with regular Selle Italia SLRs and recently the Fizik Antares.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yeah i found out that the saddle and the seat post equals teh cost of 2014 S-Works shoe yikes i might try a romin or a henge or maybe a new toupeī
    and i do want those shoes so bad red black and i will also get the gloves and the bibs+Sl jersey to match those shoes later on towards summer i havenīt done anything yet to the saddle i will tomorrow however, the roads are pure ice now and i feel a bit awkward taking the carbon frame on these roads as one never knows if the spike tires keep the grip/traction
    ok i will go a little Off Topic here are the gloves for nest year

the shoes

On topic again i saw we have a variety of romin saddles at work one was the expert evo i belive

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I got a Fizik Aliante for my Stumpy Comp HT and liked it so much, I got another to replace the Selle Italia XLR Gel Flow on my full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    I ran both the Romin and the Phenom. For me the Phenom was more comfortable. I'm using the carbon rail Phenom along with the CG-R post. Such an awesome combo.

Try playing with the saddle position?
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5