mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Upset Sad News for Tall Riders (2013 Stumpy FSR 26er)

I was looking to purchase a 2013 Stumpy FSR from one of my local dealers and come to find out Specialized is no longer making the XL frame in the 26er. I tried the 29er koolaid and didn't like it after demoing several 29er which they have an XL for. I contacted Specialized directly to verify and low and behold its true no more XL for the 26er. See specialized faq website.

I still got my 08 stumpy fsr and ordered a 2012 stumpy fsr comp 26er but this news is sad to hear for future stumpy purchases. Maybe the 26er will be phased out and the 650b will take over by the time I buy another stumpy, but I will not jump on the 29er wagon wheel.

This is my first thread post, so go easy on me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It has always seemed to me that 29ers are perfect for tall riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well after demoing several different bikes the past few months and going back and forth on a 26er and 29er it was clear that 26er was best for me. The 29er just felt like I was riding a big wagon wheel and felt like I was going to crash on steep switchbacks. The XL 29er just felt weird, sluggish, and sucked on fast tight corners while the 26er I could just hop on it and ride it anywhere and not think twice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am totally with you. 29er's have their place - but for pure riding fun I still choose 26 inch wheel. Specialized has always had the shortest chainstays in business for all their full suspension line - and riding almost 18 inch long rear end Stumpjumper 29 was not as fun. They also fazed out XL Enduro - so I will keep my 2010 version for a while...
    I wonder - why many best dirtjumpers in our local park ride BMX bikes The rest of the best are on 26er's...

mtbr member
    They list the XL in the geometry section of the site. But it does say not all sizes available in all areas. I remember the last iteration had an XL and an XXL

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep, thats what I saw too and told the dealer about it but their new 2013 catalog at the store listed only up to size large for the 26er. I then contacted specialized directly to verify and they said it was true and the XL is no longer available and they needed to update their website.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    They quit making XL 26" wheel bikes because nobody was buying them. They take inventory forecasting and production very serious. Case in point: The Camber and Stumpy 29er sold out early but the 26" models were still sitting in the warehouses. That means fewer 26" models and more 29ers going forward. I know that we couldn't keep 29ers in stock and couldn't give away a 26" wheel bike. The market has spoken, I guess.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well I guess im part of the 1% crowd and refuse to join the 99%. Hopefully Specialized jumps into the 650b market in the near future and they don't leave out the clydesdales.

mtbr member
    XL? I thought this thread was about tall riders.

Specialized makes 2-3 models in an XXL, that's sad news for tall riders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I agree, it's probably not a conspiracy against tall rider but just not having enough of those rider who still want 26 inch bikes. Too bad. I guess we would need to wait until "great 26er resurgence" when marketing potential of switching to big wheels is exhausted...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio8691 View Post
    I guess we would need to wait until "great 26er resurgence" when marketing potential of switching to big wheels is exhausted...
    Yep.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I love how some people think the mainstreem 29ers are still a fad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well some people just prefer the 26er. 29er have their place. For my riding area 26er still rule and seeing a 29er on the trail is kinda rare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Well some people just prefer the 26er. 29er have their place. For my riding area 26er still rule and seeing a 29er on the trail is kinda rare.
    Yep

I tried a 29 and simply didn't like it. Is it faster? Maybe... but I'm not a racer and much prefer the 26er feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wait, does that mean 26ers are phased out altogether? Or only in an XXL/XL sizing? Is this shades of the direction the industry is going on the whole?? (Or Hole??) No more 26?? Change is good, but.......

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyH View Post
    Wait, does that mean 26ers are phased out altogether? Or only in an XXL/XL sizing? Is this shades of the direction the industry is going on the whole?? (Or Hole??) No more 26?? Change is good, but.......

For some models, yes. There is no Camber 26 anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if the Stumpy FSR was 29er only in a year or two.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I believe the EPICS and Stumpjumper hard tails for 2013 are 29er only too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Doedrums View Post
    For some models, yes. There is no Camber 26 anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if the Stumpy FSR was 29er only in a year or two.
    See, now that @*#&! irritates my colon, cause if that's the trend an 26's are getting phased out, THAT means replacement parts will be even HARDER 2 find. No good...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    I love how some people think the mainstreem 29ers are still a fad.
    Just because the herd goes in one direction doesn't mean it is the right direction or that it has any staying power. Time will tell, but I can see the rediscovery of the 26er sometime in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If 650B kicks off how people are predicting there will be absolutely no need for 26" tires. I was very skeptical and didn't want to switch, but now I won't go back. The smaller wheels still dominate the long travel/downhill market, but 650B will change that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by steveccnv View Post
    Just because the herd goes in one direction doesn't mean it is the right direction or that it has any staying power. Time will tell, but I can see the rediscovery of the 26er sometime in the future.
    For sure, almost everything tends to go in cycles, with the more obtuse or useless stuff getting lost along the way, its just I'd hate to see versitility and options unavailable to riders as we go, and I know once they start dividing things up eventually someone gets caught down the road without proper replacement spec, and for what we spend on our rides its not fair you may have your favorite bike sitting in the garage collecting dust a few small years from now because of a dropout or seatpost or something that becomes obsolete... Idk... Ok, I'll stop ranting...