mtbr member
    Feb 2004

S-Works Single Speed

I have a 04 S-works hardtail that I am thinking of converting to a SS. Has anyone tried this? What setup do you use?

Are you talking to me?

White Bros?

How about the ENO rear hub from WB?
    gfy

I Just Ride....

Good job!

I made an SS out of my 93 Rockhopper FS.
    It's easy!
    You'll need a tensioner, I'd recommend the Surley Singleator and some creativity.
    The creativity part comes in handy in getting a good chain line.
    I ended up using about 4-5 big washers and kept the smallest cog on as well, to keep it all together.
    It's fun!
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've dont it with a 94 S-Works Ultimate frame Eno hub works amazing, but its not that cheap.

mtbr member
    Go with what mtbbrian said.

Get a Singlenator chain tensioner. Easy to install.

If you have several old cogsets lying around take them apart and save the spacers in between the cogs. You may need to take more than one cogset apart, or see if your local shop has some lying around they will give you.

Select the cog size you want on the rear to complement the chainring you are running ( I think the general rule of thumb is 2:1, but don't quote me on that). Take the cogset off the rear wheel that you are going to use and start putting on the spacers. Place the cog where it gives you the straightest chainline to your chainring. Finish off the rest of the hub with spacers and the locking ring. There shouldn't be any slop when you are finished.

Put on your rear wheel and go ride! (Of course I am assuming you have already removed your front and rear derailleurs and shifters).
    "What do I know of You who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood but along the shore of Your ocean?"

mtbr member
    Oh yeah...do what mtbbrian said...at the end of assembling your ss cogset, use the small cog with the lockring. I forgot that I had to do that part. Just don't put the chain on that cog. Enjoy!
    "What do I know of You who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood but along the shore of Your ocean?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks you guys.