mtbr member
    Apr 2007

s works m5 frame, different cable runs.

I bought this off a friend for a very cheap price.

Ive now noticed the cables for the detrailers are bith run over the cross bar. The frame weighs 1.85 kg which is pretty light just wondering what you guys think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Itīs not a Specialized.

wandering lost
    Nov 2006
    Agreed - it's not a Specialized S-Works M5 frame. The only M5 frames with top-pull cable routing for the front derailleur are 2006 and 2007 models, and this is definitely not either of them. Paint and stickers aside, the 06 and 07 models have the new wishbone seat stays, as well as a reinforcement around the junction of the non-drive side chain stay and seat stay.

Specialized did make a black anodized M5 frame for 2003 that did not have that reinforcement and had the "old" seat stays, it had bottom pull routing for the front derailleur. The stickers didn't quite look like that either (at least not on the one I had) - thinner "white" (actually silver) lettering.

Finally, the weight of an S-Works M5 should be about 1400-1500g for an 18" frame of that era. That 1850g seems pretty heavy to be an M5.

If you check out the "Archive" at www.specialized.com you can see more details.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hope Noob question from a newbie person.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBrave
    Agreed - it's not a Specialized S-Works M5 frame. The only M5 frames with top-pull cable routing for the front derailleur are 2006 and 2007 models, and this is definitely not either of them. Paint and stickers aside, the 06 and 07 models have the new wishbone seat stays, as well as a reinforcement around the junction of the non-drive side chain stay and seat stay.

Specialized did make a black anodized M5 frame for 2003 that did not have that reinforcement and had the "old" seat stays, it had bottom pull routing for the front derailleur. The stickers didn't quite look like that either (at least not on the one I had) - thinner "white" (actually silver) lettering.

Finally, the weight of an S-Works M5 should be about 1400-1500g for an 18" frame of that era. That 1850g seems pretty heavy to be an M5.

If you check out the "Archive" at www.specialized.com you can see more details.
    Noob here!

Hi guys/gals:

I am new to the forum and I have a few questions about the Specialized bike.

I currently have a Kona Cinder Cone HT 2007 and I was offered yesterday by the LBS a 2005 S-Works Epic and they let me go for a ride.

I loved so much the bike, specially when going downhill and I did not feel the bike robbing my pedaling on up-hill and the bike at full suspension seemed to be lighter than my HT.

My questions are:

1. What is the weight of the bike?
    2. Is there anything in particular that I should observe on the bike when it comes to maintenance?
    3. What updates/upgrades would you do on that bike?
    4. Is it worth trading the Kona for the Specialized?

Thanks for any input that you might have on the subject and I hope to become a contributor of the forum if there is anything that I might know about.

Jay

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's funny looks just like the black ano 2003 s-works frame.....no guides on the down tune however and the rear drop-outs look diff.....a great fake!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

s works m5 frame Replica

Quote Originally Posted by cajunjay
    I bought this off a friend for a very cheap price.

Ive now noticed the cables for the detrailers are bith run over the cross bar. The frame weighs 1.85 kg which is pretty light just wondering what you guys think.

Hi have you found out who makes these frames?

Regards

Skimpy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a contact at Merida Industrials and they are out the back door factory run offs. I can get them all the time now, excellent frames.