mtbr member
    Jul 2007

S-Works Epic Weigh-In

Alright... Picked up my XL 2008 S-Works Epic yesterday.

Out of the box weight, tubes out, tubeless valves:

Weight without pedals 23.25 pounds
    Weight with XTR pedals 24 pounds

Now, if only the snow would melt....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    those XTR pedals are pretty heavy, im putting them on my own epic though, for me they are the best so im willing to compromise on the weight

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    do you think the wieght has anything to do with the frame being XL?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    XTR pedals are the worse I've ever had! All the others are ok in my eyes, But XTR sucks. After a few weeks of riding my shoes (brand new specializeds, with new cleats) were loose in the pedal. moving horizontal and vertical in the pedal. Also friends of me had this with shimano and specialized shoes. With the cheaper pedals nog problem... We don't get it, but it's a well known problem... I would say try other pedals...
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im using a cheaper shimano clipless pedal right now, i have them open all the way because i want to get out easily, no slippage no accidental release, very easy to get out of, i havent tried the XTR pedals but i can only assume they are the same as the ones im using except their a little lighter

The Other Dude
    Wow thats crazy, i changed a ton of stuff out on my S-Works epic, and it weighed in at 24.87lbs, mine is a large, congrats, im jealous! But my new stumpy is close at 24.4lbs!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Large S-works

22.8 with pedals and 2 cages.
    Changes from stock: syntace stem 31.8, easton monkey light low rise, stans 160 rotors, pedals are egg beater 2ti. I am waiting for the FSA K force lite in the 2x9, then i want to go with a sram red front der.

I think that is going to be it unless that new sid is as good as they say. You cant beat the fox but there boat anchors.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is mine on paper... waiting for the replacement shock to arrive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Weighed mine at 22.7 lbs with the scale at the shop with tubes in, without pedals and no bottle cages. Looking at the stock bike, the only thing that really comes to mind for weight loss is the Thompson stem and the obvious removal of the tubes. I'll be running Eggbeater 4ti pedals and plan on using the lightweight Specialized plastic cages as the S-Works cages are a bit ridiculous in price. That should put me at 23.2 lbs with tubes.

I'll have lots of time to play with the prep, I don't think I'll use the new bike for any of my winter riding, I've got other bikes that have been "broken in" already.
    Jouko