mtbr member
    Apr 2007

S-works Epic - rotor size stepdown

Specialized sets up their Large frame bikes with pretty beefy rotors - 185mm front and 160mm rear. I've always run smaller on my XC race bikes (I weigh 170lbs) and thinking about stepping down my 2010 S-works epic to 160/140 to save additional weight (especially the rotating kind). Just wondering if anyone has done that already and if so, what are your thoughts on performance?

The Other Dude
    I am 180lbs and run a 160 front and rear on my stumpjumper 29er hardtail and they work just fine. I havent tried a 140 in the rear yet, but a friend of mine runs one on his medium epic without issues, he weights 180 also.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

official eMpTyBRain
    I would go 160/160, especially at your weight. I read something in the braketime forum recently about a guy who dropped to 140 in the rear and had over heating/warping issues. Also he noticed much more effort needed to stop the bike on downhills.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I havent run 140 rear either, but was leaning that way considering Specialized specs their Small and Medium epics with 160/140 combo.