Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    198

    S-Works Epic Carbon 29 Frameset 12 vs.13 (feedback needed)

    Hi,

    I have an order for a framesert for the S-Works Epic Carbon 29er 2013.
    My dealer just called me saying they have one last 2012 frameset and offered it to me.

    I know the difference between the 12 and the 13 framesets are with the fork.
    Are there any other?

    for the 2013 I need to wait for a month (which I am OK with).

    Thanks,
    Ofir

    P.S. - Posted this to the General 29er forum as well.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devastazione's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    987
    Paint should be different. 2013 paint is lighter than the 2012 ones.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    197
    2013 has a way better shock.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    761
    Frame the same but I actually think the 2012 colours are better. The 2013 has the autosag feature on the rear shock and single air SID fork. They claim the 2013 rear shock with autosag also performs better but they say that every year. I have just come off the 2012 and now have the 2013 but am yet to ride it. If you give me a few days I'll tell which shock and fork feels better or any different at all.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    877
    '13 black is far more cool. I'll post some pics once it's built. Tentative build:
    '13 S-Works Epic Frame/fork
    '13 Carbon Roval SL wheelset
    XX Cassette
    XX Rear Derailleur
    XX Gripshifter
    S-Works Carbon Crankset
    34t. Blackspire chainring
    e13 XCX chainguide
    Magura MT8 Brakes
    Syntace P6 Carbon post
    Specialized Romin Evo saddle
    S-Works carbon flat bar
    Ritchey WCS stem
    ESI grips
    S-Works Fastrack LK tires
    Hoping for a 20lb. build but I don't know if that's doable.
    Last edited by erichwic; 09-10-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    MCH Co-Captain

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    169
    2012 will be a bargain, same frame and for sure same shoch performance. Better save the money for the 2013 and invest in some tuning like wheelset.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    Frame the same but I actually think the 2012 colours are better. The 2013 has the autosag feature on the rear shock and single air SID fork. They claim the 2013 rear shock with autosag also performs better but they say that every year. I have just come off the 2012 and now have the 2013 but am yet to ride it. If you give me a few days I'll tell which shock and fork feels better or any different at all.
    Did you keep the 2012 S-Works Epic as well or is the 2013 S-Works Epic replacing it?

    Are you going to post some pictures of the 2013 S-Works Epic when it's done?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    761

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Did you keep the 2012 S-Works Epic as well or is the 2013 S-Works Epic replacing it?

    Are you going to post some pictures of the 2013 S-Works Epic when it's done?
    No, I replaced the 2012 with the 2013 as I got a very good price from a friend for the 2012 and with a good bike shop discount, and not having to pay for the annual shock and fork service it didn't cost me much at all to swap.
    I have however added to the stable with an SW Stumpy HT 29er which is great fun and enjoyable in a different way to the Epic. The Epic however would definitely be the bike I would keep if I had to get rid of one. Happily at the moment that isn't the case.
    The Epic is all built up but due to work I haven't ridden it yet. Thursday is when I plan to. I'll post up some pictures before I get it dirty. I do however prefer the colours of the 2012 versions but you'll make your own mind up when I post the pictures.

  9. #9
    Fat On A Bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete N View Post
    No, I replaced the 2012 with the 2013 as I got a very good price from a friend for the 2012 and with a good bike shop discount, and not having to pay for the annual shock and fork service it didn't cost me much at all to swap.
    I have however added to the stable with an SW Stumpy HT 29er which is great fun and enjoyable in a different way to the Epic. The Epic however would definitely be the bike I would keep if I had to get rid of one. Happily at the moment that isn't the case.
    The Epic is all built up but due to work I haven't ridden it yet. Thursday is when I plan to. I'll post up some pictures before I get it dirty. I do however prefer the colours of the 2012 versions but you'll make your own mind up when I post the pictures.
    there is a rumor that claims the mini brain got worked out as well.
    Will be interested to know your opinion after you ride the bike (if you feel any difference)

    Ofir

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    761
    Entered in error

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    761
    Just in case you didn't see it in the 2013 Epic thread.
    I've now had two good rides on the 2013 S Works Epic and can make a comparison on the suspension.
    The 2012 brained rear shock at full firm was different to the generations before it. The 2012 would tend to bob a little, even when climbing seated and it would also sit quite a way into it's travel when riding normally, even if you set pressures higher. I did actually like the difference at first, the main reason being that the sensation of the brain opening up was the slightest to date. The trade off was less hardtail feeling when set to full firm and the few mills of bob.
    Now the 2013 is really quite different. Set at full firm the shock doesn't move at all, it really is almost hardtail firm. What makes this even better is that the sensation of the shock/ brain opening up is even less than 2012, it is almost seamless, even at full firm on the brain.
    The back end of the bike now feels so tight, it is a very noticeable difference to 2012. I found that the sweet spot was one click from full firm. This allows a couple of mm of movement to let the rear wheel track the terrain a little better and even at very slow speeds you really have to concentrate to feel the brain opening up. At this setting the shock still sits high in it's travel, not dropping or bobbing into the travel. It also achieved full travel on the knarlier terrain.
    Once you get to two from full firm it works much like the 2012 when that was at full firm, but with a seamless transition. It sits deeper into the travel and bobs a little under hard pedaling.
    In summary the rear shock this year is pretty much hardtail firm, when at full firm setting but opens up more seamlessly. It requires the same size bump to open it up as the 2012 and is the best to date.

    The SID front fork although now only solo air works very much the same as the 2012 and I could detect no real difference. It hasn't rattled at all to date, but nor has the 2012 version that I recently bought and put on my hardtail. Not that the rattling overly bothered me.

    Saying all this if you can get the 2012 frameset a lot cheaper than the 13, I would do that as the colour is better. You could always buy a 2013 shock and brain somewhere along the line and still save a lot of money and have a spare shock for when sending off for service..

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    15

    $5500 budget: 2011, 2012, or 2013 Specialized Epic???

    Reason I ask is that if I get a 2011 I can probably find an S-Works model, 2013 it will be an Expert, and 2012 something in between. What do you guys recommend?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •