mtbr member
    Feb 2011

S-works Epic 29r convert to 3*10

Taking delivery of new 2011 S-works Epic 29r next week (all being well). Having it converted from 2*10 to 3*10 with XO crank, shifter, and derailleur. Front rings will be 20-30-40 as on my current Giant 29r - Gives close to same cadence*speed as a 26r with 22-X-44 front and 11-36 rear.
    Anyone done this conversion and what probs should I be aware of?

Hopefully doing a 100km enduro in 4 weeks.

The Other Dude
    You know you do not need the entire crank right? You can just get a triple spider and rings for the awesome crank that is already on there. That is a sweet bike, you will love it, i have mine setup as a 1x10 and I really like it, but you may want to give the 2x10 a try(if you havent already), its a sweet setup, and the shifting performance is unreal.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Let's fly!
    I put a 3x10 on my Epic Expert 29er. FSA with standard rings though. I am very, very happy with it. FSA told me I would need their special 10 speed front rings to work with the 10spd chain. Nope, not really. They didn't have any available, so I just went with what I had, no issues at all.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you are just getting a frame set then it comes with universal threaded press fit bb adapters.
    If you are getting the bike and use the sworks crank like jut8 stated then you may need to get a smaller spacer. See attached.
    S-works Epic 29r convert to 3*10-bb-setup.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    You know you do not need the entire crank right? You can just get a triple spider and rings for the awesome crank that is already on there. That is a sweet bike, you will love it, i have mine setup as a 1x10 and I really like it, but you may want to give the 2x10 a try(if you havent already), its a sweet setup, and the shifting performance is unreal.
    Have you run 2x10 with a long cage rear deraileur to allow all gear combinations? I am getting the s-works but looks like the OE medium cage will not allow. I want to keep 2x10 but would like to be abble to use all the gear combinations. Of course cross chaining is not ideal but I have heard if done the chain line is slightly improved when doing so with 2x10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just bought a 2011 S-Works Epic 29er frame. I want to use a new FSA K-Force Lite 3x9 crank w/BB30 bottom bracket that I had on hand. Any suggestions on front deraileur and bottom bracket to use? Looks like the ceramic bearings that came with the crank are pretty much universal for the BB30, but they will need to be set into a press in housing to fit the frame. Will the XTR 3x10 direct mount front deraileur work with a 3x9? May have issues with chain rubbing on the cage when using small and large rings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I run a 39/26 chainrings with a 36t. I can't imagine needing a smaller gear than a 26-36.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2x9 versus 2x10

I already have a new 3x9 crank and would like to use it as opposed to buying a new crank. I have been running 3x9 with a 12-27 cassette for years. The crisp, clean shifting of a mid cage in the rear along with the small jumps between gears is easier on my 60 year old legs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for replies people - the XX crank that comes standard, I'm told?, has a one piece crank/spider setup - the XO that I'm thinking of putting on has a seperate spider so that can be changed for a 3 ring setup.

My current 29er hardtail has a 11-36 rear and a 20/30/40 front ring setup - when you take into account the difference in wheel+tyre rolling diameter between a 26r and 29r, my current set up has almost the same gearing (cadence*speed) as a 26r with a 22/32/42 and 11-36 setup. I find I can stay in the 30 and 40 ring much longer than the old 32/42 setup and the 20 is a bail out gear (which I'd use every ride!)

as for needing the low gearing I'm a tad on the old side of retirement age and need all the help I can get to get up steep (for me) grades.

Needless to say the bike is delayed

PS: Anyone got any skill for sale?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hostilemonk, have you done your set up yet. Could you post a pic of your 3x10 with the 20-30-40 rings. What rings did you use? How do you like it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wavewagon
    Have you run 2x10 with a long cage rear deraileur to allow all gear combinations? I am getting the s-works but looks like the OE medium cage will not allow. I want to keep 2x10 but would like to be abble to use all the gear combinations. Of course cross chaining is not ideal but I have heard if done the chain line is slightly improved when doing so with 2x10.
    I've got the 11 Comp Carbon 29er with 2x10 and it works great in all gear combos.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostilemonk
    Thanks for replies people - the XX crank that comes standard, I'm told?, has a one piece crank/spider setup - the XO that I'm thinking of putting on has a seperate spider so that can be changed for a 3 ring setup.
    I thought that the XX comes with a separate spider/ring assembly. These can be ordered separately and are available for the S-Works crank.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafawnduh
    Hostilemonk, have you done your set up yet. Could you post a pic of your 3x10 with the 20-30-40 rings. What rings did you use? How do you like it?
    Thanks
    No pic soz - but love it on my 29r hardtail - able to stay longer in the 30 and 40 than the old 32/42 and use the 20 as a bail out (which I need on the 'technical' climbs over 15% grades). Gives the same cadence/speed range as a 26r with 11/36 and 22/42 depending on tyre.

Use the action tec ring for the 20 http://www.actiontec.us/prices.htm and Anderson for the 30/40 http://andersenmachine.com/product-info/

CAUTION - the front derailleur on my Shimano system has an 18 tooth difference (42-24) capacity - this setup makes it 20 tooth (40-20). So while its manageable it isn't as sweet shifting as standard and is a bit sensitive to total setup. If you have a carbon frame then be careful you dont drop the chain off the bottom ring when changing down - carbon doesn't like it.

The SRAM XO system has a 22 tooth capacity on the S-works (44-22).

Re the spider - Looked at a XX crank set and the crank and spider were one piece and can';t find anywhere that sells the central spider for an XX set up.

Getting S-Works in Australia is proving to be - - exasperating!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi
    I thought that the XX comes with a separate spider/ring assembly. These can be ordered separately and are available for the S-Works crank.
    A normal SRAM XX crank that you would buy after-market is a one-piece crank arm/spider combo. The crank that comes on an S-Works is a Specialized S-Works Carbon Crank with removable spider (the spider and rings happen to be made by sram and are labeled XX). So if you wanted to you should be able to buy the triple spider from a Specialized dealer or on Specialized.com and then use the appropriate rings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erlau
    A normal SRAM XX crank that you would buy after-market is a one-piece crank arm/spider combo. The crank that comes on an S-Works is a Specialized S-Works Carbon Crank with removable spider (the spider and rings happen to be made by sram and are labeled XX). So if you wanted to you should be able to buy the triple spider from a Specialized dealer or on Specialized.com and then use the appropriate rings.
    Good info - Thank you -- will check this out with Specialized dealer Monday AM, hopefully its the same setup here in Australia. I've also assumed that the shifter and derailleur will need changing as they ( I assumed) are designed for two rings only and wont accommodate three rings - or have I got this incorrect also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostilemonk
    Good info - Thank you -- will check this out with Specialized dealer Monday AM, hopefully its the same setup here in Australia. I've also assumed that the shifter and derailleur will need changing as they ( I assumed) are designed for two rings only and wont accommodate three rings - or have I got this incorrect also.
    You will need a new shifter for sure and most likely a new derailluer as well.

Let's fly!
    Wheels Manufacturing makes a lot of adapters that enable mounting of a MegaExo on the PF30 and other variations for other applications. That is how I'm running my 3x10 FSA MegaExo on my Epic Expert with PF30.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)